“Welcoming”

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in New Westminster
Halfmoon Bay, BC
“Welcoming”
Reviewed January 31, 2013

I stayed here on business for 4 weeks, during the week and returned home on weekends. All of the rooms that I stayed in were spotless, had beautiful views and were very nice to come back to at the end of a day. The staff were welcoming and were helpful to make my stay easier.
Michele, the assistant manager phoned me part way through my stay to make sure I was comfortable. My last week at the Inn at the Quay was great, with a king bed and jacuzzi! The perfect way to end a great month.
WIFI was no problem, the Boathouse Restaurant was great and parking was a breeze.
If my husband was able to come along, it would have been a great place to have a romantic getaway! Nice boardwalk along the river, shopping, movie theatre and skytrain!
There is some train traffic early in the morning, but if you just embrace it for being a river-side hotel and enjoy the different sounds, its not a big deal.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank ShannonReid
InnattheQuayGM, General Manager at Inn at the Quay, responded to this review, February 13, 2013
Dear Shannon,

thank you choosing the Inn at the Quay for your extended stay in the greater Vancouver area and for your great review. We look forward to your next visit - your choice business, pleasure or both!

Kathy MacKerricher

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (173)
Victoria
Reviewed January 24, 2013

We stayed at the Inn at the Quay before Christmas. The hotel was beautiful decorated,( see picture)made us feel at home. The room was nice as usual. I think this is our 10th stay here.
We love the view over the river from our balcony. The staff are all so pleasant. Newspaper at your door every morning. We vere greeted with a little Welcome note and some chocolate!
Nice shopping at the Market next door and walking distance to other stores makes this a good choise of hotel when in New Westminster.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank mkgalley
InnattheQuayGM, General Manager at Inn at the Quay, responded to this review, January 31, 2013
Dear mkgalley,

Thank you for your loyalty, patronage and kind comments. We look forward to your 11th visit!

San Diego, California
Reviewed January 18, 2013

Recently attended a company sales and training meeting at this hotel. The rooms were extremely clean and I slept extremely well each night. The service in the meeting rooms and during the breakfast and lunch buffet was excellent. The waterfront location was perfect with grocery, wine, restaurants and shopping within a few steps or a few blocks. This certainly isn't a luxury resort but I didn't expect that. What it provided was an assurance that the entire group would be well taken of, safe and comfortable. And we were.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank reach4distance
Dear reach4distance,

thank you for your great feedback! Approximately 70% of the our guests are travelling on business or attending a meeting/conference at the Inn at the Quay. We are proud of the amount of return guests and referrals we enjoy and look forward to your next visit with us.

Victoria, Canada
Reviewed December 17, 2012

I have stayed at this hotel now at least a dozen times in the last 2 years. My employer uses this hotel to put us up in whenever we have to travel to the Vancouver area so they obviously have some sort of dal with them, but that being said, I have to say I've been very pleased each time I've come here. I am not an easy customer to please either!

Yes the views from the rooms are nice if you like looking over the ocean, but let's face it, I could care less about a view, I come here to sleep after working all day. Views don't impress me, but perhaps it's important to you....if so, some of the rooms are outstanding for views over the harbour if that's your shtick.

What's important to me however is cleanliness and a good comfortable bed and this hotel does an excellent job in these two areas. The beds are clean, fresh and comfortable and I get a great sleep in them, I appreciate the white sheets and white duvet which allows you to actually see they are clean. Not some dark pattern crap that a lot of hotels have that can easily hide stains, or God know what else! I don't feel the need to bring my black light with me for these beds and you can see they are decent and clean and not filled with dried bodily fluids from others or whatever you conjur up in you mind about what happens on hotel bed coverings. (shudder....) The rooms are clean, well insulated for the most part and I seldom if ever hear any other noises. Perhpas I've just been lucky the last dozen or so times I've been here, but I've never heard any guests from the next rooms at all and have never been kept up at night by someone getting railed in the next room. Other hotels I've stayed at I can't say the same about.

I like sleeping with fan noise, and the rooms have an adjustable air conditioner/heater and so far, the last dozen or so times I've stayed here, they sound great! No POS old units that rattle or go on and off and drive you crazy, just some nice constant white noise at your desired temperature.

This is one of the only hotels that actually have a reliable wireless Internet service that is also free. I have always got a good strong connection and most of the time I'd never know I wasn't sitting at home on my wired Internet connection.

The rooms have an empty bar fridge which is nice as it allows you to go to the grocery store and bring back stuff that needs to be refrigerated and keep it there if you're staying for a few nights.

All the rooms I've stayed in have about a 32" flat screen TV, however like almost every hotel they feed standard definition feeds into a TV made for HD. I haven't quite figured out why they even bother with the flat screens if they're not going to use them for HD, but I don't use them much anyway, so it's not a deal breaker for me at all.

They have underground parking which is nice. The parking area is not secure, so street urchins could potentially wander down there, but I usually see a Security Guard milling around most of the time so that is helpful, and you can just come and go as many times as you like. The underground entry from the parking lot to the hotel is NOT secure, so any street rat that wonders down CAN get into the hotel and have full access to all floors, except the 10th which is apparently reserved for people much more important than you or I.

The room doors are coded with a chip key, not your standard plastic type swipe card which is nice, and the room doors have an interior security latch which is nice just in case any of those street rats make their way into the insecure hotel.

All in all, it's one of the better hotels I've stayed in for business and I've stayed in a lot!

If you're are attending the Justice Institute of BC for a course or something else that requires you to stay in a hotel close by, this is definately your best choice. It's a 10 minutes drive to the JI, and close to lots of stores, and shops. There is a Keg Restaurant within a 5 minute walk if you want to blow your per diems on a massive chunk of rare prime rib and waddle back to the hotel to try and avoid the heart attack in your nice comfy bed. And, it's a short drive to the nearest Starbucks, which of course is always a deal breaker.

Like I said, I'm a hard customer to please and if this place was a POS, I'd be just as happy to rip it a new one on this review, but it is surprisingly refreshing and decent. You'll get a good sleep in a clean room with a nice view and close to anything in New West. For years they put us up at the Executive Plaza "down the road" and trust me on this....stay away from that place as it is a REAL POS!! The Inn at the Quay is your best choice for the same price these other older run down has-been hotels are charging.

I hope someone finds this helpful. I would have given it 5 stars if they have better security, but like I said, they do seem to at least have a Security Guard roaming around in the parking area most of the time.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
4 Thank Clayton C
InnattheQuayGM, General Manager at Inn at the Quay, responded to this review, December 20, 2012
Dear Clayton C,

thank you for the in depth posting! I would love to meet you on your next visit to the Inn at the Quay and appreciate all the business and referrals we receive through the Justice Institute of BC.

Merry Christmas,
Kathy MacKerricher, General Manager
Kelowna, British Columbia, Canada
Reviewed December 6, 2012

This hotel was clean, and the rooms had excellent views of the river, and I enjoyed the christmas decorations in the lobby.
Other than that it was very average, not a memorable stay. The location is very close to a few restaurants, a pub, liquor store, skytrain and some shops. I stayed here for business; I would not return for a personal stay as the train tracks directly in front of the hotel are loud, and the seedy look takes away any romance the area might have had.

Room Tip: bring ear plugs if you are a light sleeper
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank SarahEN
Dear SarahEN,

thank you for your recent visit to the Inn at the Quay. Perhaps on your next visit while travelling on business you will experience more of our leisurely features i.e. balconies and river views from most rooms, fabulous bathrobes, over size Riedel wine glasses and Cutler bath amenities from the salons in NYC. We are the only hotel in Canada who offers these products to hotel guests.

Best wishes for a happy and healthy holiday season.

Kathy MacKerricher, General Manager
New Westminster, British Columbia, Canada
Reviewed November 15, 2012

Service was great and the room (805) was comfortable & nice, but we have stayed in & prefer rooms directly over the river. This room was over the boardwalk and nearby pub.
Within a comfortable walking distance (we stayed 2 nights during rainy weather that we were avoiding walking in) is "The Boathouse" and "River Market". We visited 'Donald's' for some groceries.
We come to this hotel because it is a 5-minute drive from where we live and it is a great place to 'switch off'. Though it is an improvement over the past couple of years (of nothing), the restaurant & shopping experience at "River Market" did not really appeal to us. We would have had to walk about in rain or take transit or drive to find other types of restaurants & shopping, but doing as little as possible was more important.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank from1967
InnattheQuayGM, General Manager at Inn at the Quay, responded to this review, November 29, 2012
Dear 1967,

Thank you for choosing the Inn at the Quay for your "switch off" vacation. I trust you enjoyed the fluffy bathrobes, in room Starbucks coffee, over size Riedel wine glasses and Cutler Salon bath and hair amenities. Did you know that the Inn at the Quay is the only hotel in Canada to offer the Cutler Salon amenities? They are direct from the Cutler Salons in NYC.
Osoyoos, Canada
Reviewed November 10, 2012

We usually stay for just a night or two always wishing we could stay longer. This Nov, we decided to make our trip a mini vacation and enjoyed six wonderful days, walking on the boardwalk,dining in the Boathouse,& visiting with family. Found lots of good eateries and shopping within a short distance. The Special Pours on Tuesday and Saturday is a delight we have never experienced at any other hotel. The Staff at the front desk are always so accommodating. The rooms with balconies out over the water offer a very interesting view with the activity on the river below.This is our favorite place to stay when we come to the coast.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank biloroso
Dear biloroso,

Thank you for choosing the Inn at the Quay for your recent mini vacation. Our goal is to exceed our guest's expectations and happy to hear we scored well. We look forward to your next visit!
Also consider these accommodations in or near New Westminster
Hilton Vancouver Metrotown
Best Western Chelsea Inn
Best Western Chelsea Inn
#3 of 4 in Coquitlam

Been to Inn at the Quay? Share your experiences!