“New Year's on the Water”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Inn at the Quay

Inn at the Quay
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in New Westminster
Surrey, Canada
“New Year's on the Water”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2012

We were first time visitors on New Year's eve 2011 and fell in love with the great service, unique style and wonderful views! We can not wait to find a good excuse to go back.

PS They had little chocolate mice with a note on the bed to greet you for New Year's. We both thought that a memorable addition.

Room Tip: Some of the queen's have super private balcony's with amazing views. Be sure to ask :)
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
InnattheQuayGM, General Manager at Inn at the Quay, responded to this review, January 12, 2012
Best wishes for 2012 CareBear4747! Hope you can sneak away and come back soon! Valentine specials will be posted the last week of January on our website - perhaps a good excuse to enjoy once again.

Kathy MacKerricher

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (169)
Victoria, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 28, 2011

This was our 5th stay at the Inn on the Quay. So that obviously says we like it! The location is handy, the view looks over the Fraser River & the boardwalk. The sunrise is.... WOW!! The price, service at the desk, comfy beds & cleanliness is always so good. On Christmas morning we were surprised with a light continental breakfast in the lobby. We will be back.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Dear jackfish52,

thank you for sharing your comments and happy to hear that you are one of our many return guests! Best wishes for 2012 and look forward to serving you again soon.

Delta, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 12, 2011

Very impressed with the level of customer service based on the price level we were paying.
I've not experienced this level of service even in Vancouver, Whistler or Toronto! Nicely done!

Room Tip: As for the south corner suites...nice view of the river! Especially on a sunny day.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
InnattheQuayGM, General Manager at Inn at the Quay, responded to this review, December 15, 2011
Dear Christmas 2011,

thank you very much for your comments - we have an awesome team, many of them have been with the Inn for 10 + years.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future and best wishes for the holidays season.

Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 7, 2011

If you are a light sleeper, be prepared for the possibility of window-rattling train blasts at all hours of the night. That was my experience on the first of two nights. The second night was not so noisy (only one late-night horn blast) and by that time I had been provided a pair of earplugs, which really helped. The hotel was full and otherwise I think they would have accommodated my request for a room on the west-facing side of the hotel which seems, according to guests I talked with in the elevator, to face away from the worst of the train noise.

On the plus side, I found the hotel staff knowledgeable and friendly. The bathroom was just fine, and the beds were very comfortable. Remember to unplug the room refrigerator as the one we had was anything but quiet.

Food-wise, we were thrilled with the delicious and reasonably priced room service dishes. The entree-sized mixed greens salad was exceptional and the yam fries were great. We were so happy with room service that we stopped looking for places to eat outside the hotel.

I think that the hotel manager made exceptional efforts to accommodate my complaint about the noise. At any other location she managed the hotel would no doubt be getting consistent five-star ratings.

One more thing: by all means, avoid the Wild Rice restaurant in the market next door. Overpriced, undernourishing, and the food was just plain weird.

Room Tip: Avoid 401, 501, 601 at all costs, and if you're a light sleeper, avoid any room facing inland an...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank DolphinD
Thank you for your comments, appreciate your understanding of the train noise and your recommendations to future guests. Have a happy holiday season and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Inn at the Quay.

Victoria
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 29, 2011

I stayed at the Inn on the Quay for 2 nights while attending a conference in New Westminster recently. First, let me say I am not familiar with the area, but never would have found the hotel without my trusty GPS as I arrived on a snowy evening and the roads getting down there are not well marked. You have to cross some railroad tracks (overpass) to get down to it. Check in was quick and easy, but staff were not especially friendly. I had a room on the 4th floor, near the elevator.

The hotel hangs out over the water. My room was probably as far away from the water as you could get, right next to the ice machine. However, I looked out over the market and walkway next door, and at night I could see the skytrain going past on a bridge. Nice views. I had read of others complaining about the train noise at night. I only had one incident - a whistle blast in the middle of the night - that woke me up for a few seconds. Otherwise I couldn't hear the trains at all. More annoying, though, I could hear people getting ice at the ice machine next door, and talking as they were getting on and off the elevator. Fortunately all was quiet at night for sleeping on both fronts.

The hotel manager left me a little chocolate bar treat, with a note saying call if you need anything. Nice touch. The room was very clean, although the shower did not drain at all on the first morning. I called the front desk before I went out for the day and the next morning when I showered it was working fine. Good service. The bed was clean and comfortable. My only complaint was the heating system. They jacked up the heat upon arrival and while you were out during the day and it was tricky to figure out how to get the temperature right. I found it was too hot with it on but too chilly with it turned completely off. The controls were a bit confusing as well.

The setting is lovely. I would have loved to walk the waterfront and poke around the shops at the market next door, but both nights I got to the hotel too late and they were closed. Free wi-fi was included, which was good.

Checkout was easy and quick. Underground parking is $6 a night with your room.

Overall, I would rate this hotel as satisfactory.

Room Tip: Ask to be away from the ice machines and elevators to avoid noise from those areas.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank Jamuca
InnattheQuayGM, General Manager at Inn at the Quay, responded to this review, December 1, 2011
Dear Jannygirl,

thank you for your comments and please on your next visit to the Inn at the Quay send me a quick email and I will ensure you are not in one of the 01 rooms that are next to the ice machines (there are only 3 out of the 126 rooms).

Enjoy the holiday season and we look forward to your return visit.
Red Deer, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2011

I was so pleasantly surprised by our stay at the Inn at the Quay. I had never stayed in New Westminster before and was so impressed by the lovely views we had of the river and hardworking river craft. The walk along the river was also delightful and so beautiful with the fall foliage. Our room was great. Whoever designed it was definitely thinking about comfort and practicality with a nice long work surface and the little table that could fold out. The bathrobes were as luxurious as I have experienced in any top notch hotel around the world. Although it was cool on our recent visit, I can imagine how lovely it would be to sit out on the balcony on a fine summer day. We dined twice at the Boathouse Restaurant with excellent food and service. Only downside with the room was it took me a while to figure out the old-fashioned dial type air conditioning. Overall though, our stay here was awesome.

Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
InnattheQuayGM, General Manager at Inn at the Quay, responded to this review, November 16, 2011
Dear rdabca,

thank you for your comments and happy to hear you loved those fabulous bathrobes - they are the best! We look forward to welcoming you back to the Inn at the Quay on your next visit to the Greater Vancouver Area.

London, UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2011

We stayed 2 nights at the Inn at the Quay as part of a package deal, and overall were very impressed with the hotel. Lobby is chic and modern, with free computers and newspapers available. I loved the waterfront location, and it was easy walking distance from the main strip and transit links to central Vancouver. Some reviews have complained about train noise, but I found the soundproofing in the room to be excellent, and I wasn't disturbed at all

The Queen room was spacious and beautifully decorated, with a nice little balcony over the river. Everything was very well laid out , with neat touches such as power points on the desk and side tables. The bathroom was spacious, stylish and spotlessly clean. I didn't want to get out of the bed; it was really comfortable with luxurious feeling linens.

On arrival, there was a personalised welcome note and a box of girl scout cookies waiting for us, which we loved. We also took advantage of the free champagne available on Saturdays, which was very nice indeed! Fitness room and hot pool were very good, though a bit hard to locate - I think they're still renovating that corridor, so there were no signs!

A couple of tiny quibbles: there was a dirty plate left in the corridor pretty much the whole time we were there, which seemed very odd given the overall cleanliness of the hotel. The staff were very polite, but didn't seem that knowledgeable about the local area, so weren't much help when it came to recommendations for restaurants etc.

In general, we really enjoyed it,and would happily return. The hotel seems to cater largely to business travel, but definitely worked for a couples' getaway.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SS_abr0ad
Hello ss_abr0ad,

Thank you for all your kind comments and glad you had the opportunity to enjoy our complimentary Saturday afternoon champagne reception from 3 - 4 pm. I'll ensure that all our associates have excellent knowledge of the area and restaurant recommendations. Hope you can return soon!

Also consider these accommodations in or near New Westminster
The Met Hotel
#2 of 2 in New Westminster
Maywood
Element Vancouver Metrotown
BEST WESTERN Chelsea Inn
#3 of 4 in Coquitlam

Been to Inn at the Quay? Share your experiences!