“Home away from home” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Arundel Mansion

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Arundel Mansion
Oakville, Canada
“Home away from home”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2012

Stayed here in October for six weeks. Upon arrival it was like going back in time. All the hardwood was dark in colour, and the old pictures on the walls. The size of the apartment was very roomy. I had checked on this website before booking and I was alittle concerned about the mouse report. I did NOT see any or any signs of them. The place was VERY clean. The maid came every Monday, new linen and towels etc. After a few nights I got used to the skytrain. The main noise came from the train by the water. Anybody in any place in New Westminster can here that horn!!!.
That being said I will rate this as an excellent place to stay.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Mike b

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2012

My wife and I stayed at Arundel Mansions again in September 2012 (this was our third or fourth stay there). It is the same 'different sort of hotel' as before. Unfortunately in 2012 there is some noisy construction going on nearby, but we did not find that too disturbing. Prices have been lowered during this period (at least for longer-term stays). We still love the convenience of it to the skytrain (which takes you anywhere in Vancouver), and the closeness of a great supermarket nearby (whose name slips my memory at present) plus some good restaurants. A helpful tip for those who want to use the wifi network: get an apartment on the lower floors (nearer, I imagine to the wifi router), since the signal is quite weak on the upper floors (I had to take my computer downstairs in order to access the email system). We will continue to use this place on our future visits to Vancouver. The owners of the hotel are eccentric but very pleasant and helpful.

Room Tip: For wifi use, select a room on the lower floor (see comments above).
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Feodor_Dostoevsky
Victoria, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2012

I stayed at the Arundel Mansion for a week.
Upon arriving, I was struck by the yellow of the building amongst the grey of the newly developing, modern New Westminster. On entering the building I was brought into yester-year. The old wood smell of the staircase and the wonderfully cared for dark grain wood brings me back to my grandfather's house. The antique elevator only added to the fun of my whole experience. With the fully equipt kitchen with its modern amenities from many eras of fashion, wonderful, well-maintained antique furniture, the great bed, an updated library and a vast collection of antique videos available, it felt like home.
An impressively organised transit system, the sky train, located conveniently next door, whisked me away to the many strange and wonderful west coast cultural experiences.
New Westminster is a fun and growing community with well stocked markets, shops and galleries with exciting food possibilities and a blossoming art and music scene.
It was a very clean and private lodging. I could relax in the biggest bathtub, the likes of which i had only previously seen in silent movies.
Anyone with an imagination and some knowledge of Canadian history, will definitely enjoy a stay at Arundel Mansion.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank DaphneNugent
Twisp, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2012

We stayed two weeks. Vancouver is expensive, so this was a find. Great value for price paid. Very comfortable king size bed. SkyTrain is noisy but we got used to it by the third night. The floors creak loudly, too. Suite was bright despite grey weather. The view south is good, but will be obscured by 2013 by a highrise. The 1912 elevator is a classic. I had booked by email but also phoned to get an idea of who the owners were. Myrna is a delightful, if talkative, lady with a literary bent (I think she used to teach). The kitchen was well equipped. Ours lacked a cutting board but once I asked for it I was provided with one. They have a wireless server so we were able to use our laptop. I would return.

Room Tip: We chose the south side facing the SkyTrain because of the king size bed. The north side might have...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Mississauga, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2012

I stayed there for 3 nights with my family. The owner, Mryna, is a very nice lady.
Little olde fashioned building, but good value for money. The train station is
right next door.

Pros
Nice people, reasonable prices, great locality
Cons
Train noise- not a big deal

Sai

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Wales, UK
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 6, 2012

Stayed at arundel mansion on a recent study trip, don't know where to start, the mice, the drug addicts or the sky train, the choices. On arrival we found poison around the room and when questioning this we was told it was to kill the mice that infested the hotel, no lie me and a friend shared the sofa bed with Timmy the mouse for 3 weeks. Timmy and his army often were visible in the hotel in the kitchen, guests luggage and the neighbouring cafe!! surprisingly the mice were not the worst part of this stay trying to leave the hotel one day we were faced with a junkie taking his daily fix on the door step, apparently a regular occurrence!! Finally the sky is right next to the hotel, for the first few nights it did keep us awake however we did just become accustom to it and it was convenient . Overall found the place to be dirty and it put a strain on our hotel. p.s. the rooms don't always lock so keep your stuff on you.

Room Tip: choose a different hotel if the sky train doesn't keep you up the mice will!!!
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank lol192
Victoria, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 1, 2012

We stayed for 2 nights, the last weekend of May. When we arrived we couldn't get in as the door was locked, so we had to phone the number on the sign. According to the owner that was Booking.com's error for not putting that info on their site. The elevator was old and rickety, my husband liked it but I had my doubts about it. Being an old building the floors were very creaky, so we heard the people upstairs walking about. We were supplied with earplugs, that should have been our first clue about the noise. Being a very warm weekend we had to sleep with the window open so we heard the sky train at least every 10 minutes until it stopped running at about 12:30am, and then the other train blowing it's whistle at about 3am. On Saturday night there seemed to be a party going on right below our window. The clawfoot bathtub had big chips out of the enamel, we were very concerned about getting lead poisoning from paint chips. The water pressure in the shower was terrible! We had to go out and buy our own shampoo, conditioner, etc. They supplied a big bar of Ivory soap, that's it for the bathroom, except for towels, facecloths etc. The couch was actually a loveseat, but it was comfortable. The kitchen and dining area were conveniently stocked with dishes, silverware, pots and pans, etc. Great price for a suite and it was clean. The bottle of wine and fresh flowers were a nice touch. Close to amenities, which is good. All in all it wasn't a terrible place to stay, it was just very noisy.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Happy Day Inn Hotel
#8 of 10 in Burnaby
Maywood
Holiday Inn Express Hotel Vancouver Metrotown

Been to Arundel Mansion? Share your experiences!