“Through a glass, darkly”
Review of Metropolitan Cafe & Eatery - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Metropolitan Cafe & Eatery
Reviewed February 6, 2014

Love the food, but oh, Metro Cafe, you make it so hard to find your best features!

The lights are on so low in this cafe that, on walking up to its street front, I would have thought the place was closed if I had not made a reservation. Once inside, I could not see anyone. Were my friends there? Who knew?

Fortunately they hallooed me and we proceeded with the arduous task of scrambling through our purses for flashlights in order to read the menu. We kept those on the table after ordering, too, the better to keep track of where our drinks were parked. Even that didn't help enough with the biz of reading the bill--I actually had no clue what I'd paid until I got the bill out into the open.

The warm quinoa salad? It was great. One of the most satisfying vegetarian dishes ever. My friend's poutine, a huge dish of fries smothered not only with the good brown stuff but also sour cream and little oniony-peppery things (who could see them well enough to identify them, after all?) was warmly appreciated by her and her thieving neighbors. Salads and burgers also received plaudits in the taste category from our five diners. Obviously, however, there's little to be said about presentation, since we could barely identify our dishes. Service was a little slow but ameliorated by a wide variety of drinks and by all our dinners' arriving at the same time. Nice.

If you need to see what you put into your mouth, Metro is not the place for you. But, if you believe that now we see as if through a glass, darkly, and you regard dining as just another one of life's murky experiences whose meaning will come clear only at some glorious moment in the future, you'll have a lovely time in this well loved Nanaimo restaurant.

Reviewed January 5, 2012

The breakfast was a full on, pan fries, large omelet and crunchy toast. Good coffee