“Nice spot on the water”
Review of Penny's Palapa

Penny's Palapa
Ranked #67 of 323 Restaurants in Nanaimo
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Outdoor Seating
Description: Penny’s is all new for 2017. New Owners and a New Chef! All the margaritas, enchiladas and tacos you love!
Reviewed September 11, 2013

Nice, casual spot on the water. Limited seating. Great nachos. Meal was very good and the prices were reasonable. Would definitely go again.

There are newer reviews for Penny's Palapa

Reviewed August 26, 2013

Great meal at Penny's Palapa. Loved the location, right on the water in the harbour. The food was very tasty, good portion size - nice to have mexican food that is healthy and fresh - not heavy and on a plate the size of a football field! The service was very good too. We will be back!

1  Thank Annette D
Reviewed August 22, 2013

What a great place to bring guests from the Prairie Provinces to dine at. Location is unique, menu choices are healthy and fresh.
Margaritas add to the festive atmosphere.
We had fish appetizers, and fish tacos. Usually don't enjoy Mexican food, but this was definately worthwhile. It is not cheap pricing, but the food and atmosphere doesn't disappoint.
Penny's Palapa is seasonal, opens at 11 am and I'd suggest arriving well before noon to avoid a wait.

Reviewed August 14, 2013

we love Mexican, my daughter actually asked me once if we were Mexican because we eat it so much (we're not). I may be an expert on fish tacos only because when I eat out 9 out of 10 times I order fish tacos, also we make them at home at least twice a month. Surprise! I ordered the fish tacos!! Fresh Halibut cooked to perfection and this amazingly smokey creamy chipolte sauce made it. The rice and beans were flavorful and healthy (brown rice, but you couldn't even tell) and the dressing that came on the salad was perfection. I think the only thing I might have changed would have been substituting cabbage for the lettuce in the tacos, as I love the crunch and flavor it adds. Their salsa also it perfect! so much so I asked if I could buy some to take home, sadly the answer was no. I also had a lime margarita with tequila mmmmm. My husband had a red snapper in an amazing sauce that I wish I could replicate. the snapper, which I usually don't like, was amazing not a hint of fishiness(hahaha) and cooked perfectly. My HUSBAND! actually commented on the way the plate was put together because it looked so appealing. The service was also really good,the young woman who served us was professional yet had a sense of humor which is hard to find but appreciated

Reviewed August 10, 2013 via mobile

I had the vegetarian plate. Nice seared tofu and many other veggiegfriendly items with it. I liked the free chips and yummy salsa that came when we sat down.

There might have been a small confusion with the drinks we ordered, but the owner more than made up for it, and did so very quickly.

Great place to eat in Nanaimo, but especially if you're staying on a boat in the marina.