“Popular for good reason!”

Gina's Mexican Cafe
Ranked #27 of 320 Restaurants in Nanaimo
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Nanaimo, Canada
“Popular for good reason!”
Reviewed May 29, 2014 via mobile

Over the last few years I've heard lots about Gina's.

Finally went with my wife and her boss the other night.

It was very busy, but we were warmly greeted and a table was set up for us. The service was really genuine and perceptive.

Free chips and salsa is a nice thing!

The food we ate and the drinks we ordered were hit and miss. The sangria was average at best, the margarita was good, but nothing special.

The food was nicely presented, hot and tasty, but didn't quite have the zing or character to stand out as any more than good.

I will go back, love Mexican and I feel like with the right food choice I could find something GREAT!

1 Thank David S

“Psuedo Mexican”
Reviewed May 28, 2014

A very far cry from real Mexican food. and very noisy. I dont recommend if you have ever eaten in Mexico.

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank 993Barb90
Nanaimo, Canada
“Reliable, tasty Mexican food”
Reviewed May 28, 2014

Having frequented numerous Mexican restaurants in both Southern California and the Baja, I feel I have a reasonable take on what constitutes good Mexican food. The menu at Gina's fits that bill just fine. Sauces are rich in flavour, meat is tender, and the salsa is some of the best I have encountered anywhere. While it can be very busy, and therefore rather noisy, due to the close quarters, Gina's should not be missed by people looking for a true Mexican meal in Nanaimo.

1 Thank Jessie2F
Nanaimo, Canada
“One of our regular stops”
Reviewed May 28, 2014

The pink house on the hill has been one of our regular favourites in our home town . We like to go there for good food a cervezas or 2 or even a salt rimmed margarita . In fact we went last night for a Tuesday night it was busy. The pollo chipotle chicken with rice ad beans is my favorite served on a hot plate . I love the Taco chips and salsa you get every meal too. Go and enjoy !!

1 Thank canadiangirl959
Seattle, Washington
“Best fish taco's EVER!”
Reviewed May 19, 2014

Gina's was an easy walk from the hotel and it was a bit of a surprise that they close at 2000 hrs. On a Tuesday night in late April, the place was pretty well packed which is a testament to the excellent cuisine you'll find there. We didn't order any appetizers because the chips and salsa were more than adequate. I had the fresh halibut tacos and they were perfect. it can be easy to over power the distinctive yet relatively mild flavor that halibut has so I was a little concerned however after the first bite I was in heaven. As I said, BEST FISH TACO'S EVER. my wife had the chicken quesadilla and loved it. very highly recommended. You don't need to go to a seafood restaurant to great seafood.

Visited April 2014