“Great Mexican Cafe!!”

Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed July 13, 2013

What a great spot! Really neat location and decor. The service was quick and friendly but easy going at the same time...not that hyped up kind of service a lot of the chains seem to go for. And the food! Fantastic! Very tasty and big portions for a very reasonable amount. Lots of choices for everyone, spicy and not, and the kids loved it too! Way better than the fast food they usually want to have. We will definitely be going back!

1  Thank dogwalker222

Reviewed May 28, 2013

Great Mexican food when you visit Nanaimo, our harbour front city! Old style restaurant. one to visit.

1  Thank 31Holty
Reviewed May 23, 2013

I suppose Gina's is my favourite restaurant. Their take on Mexican is funky and original. The food is always great. ALWAYS has a long line on Friday and Saturday nights - and it's been that way for 25 years and counting - that tells you a lot. Don't be put off by the line - no matter how big it seems - they'll get you in in 30 minutes. Worth the wait every time. Soul food and soulful staff.

1  Thank Canuck27535
Reviewed May 20, 2013

Ginas has been a main stay for casual Mexican Food in Nanaimo for years.
It is quirky and fun and continues to offer great food and of course pitchers of margueritas and sangria!!
Look for the bright pink old house and you have arrived. Close to downtown and the waterfront area to walk off your calories.
As previous business owners we have used this restaurant for staff parties and it suited the varied ages of our staff. (18 to 60). Non smoking, great selection and also made our vegetarians happy.
Last night we enjoyed fabulous tacos with halibut or salmon. The best when accompanied by a salad.
Staff are casual, friendly and efficient. Food is fresh and you can experience their famous home made salsa.(almost as famous as the local Nanaimo Bars).
Gotta love it.

1  Thank MrsBill
Reviewed May 19, 2013

Server #13 bill # 090596. We have been going to Gina's for a few years now and each time it gets more disappointing. tonight my meal made the decision for me that I will not be going back. The beans obviously has been sitting under the heat lights for so long that they were dried around the edges. The "mexican" corn was luke warm and as tasteless as frozen. there was no "zip" to the meal at all. when the server came to see if everything was ok I was already 1/2 thru my food. I didnt even finish eating what was on my plate. Yes the place is unique, yes it is popular for the drinks......but forget it for food. The place needs an overhaul. The bathrooms are dingy and disgusting. Enough! Not going back.