“I revisited... and I have had a change of heart”

Gina's Mexican Cafe
Ranked #26 of 323 Restaurants in Nanaimo
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed January 27, 2013

I wrote a review of Gina's a few years ago that was fairly negative, but I have gone back a few times recently and have had a change of heart. I have found the service great, which is what one of my major issues was before, and the food that we've been getting has been pretty good! Love their carrot-y salsa and also am a big fan of the taco dorados. My daughter loves the vegetarian burrito. The guacemole is expensive for how much you get but I have to say - give it a shot and see for yourself. Something has changed there, for the better, and I think you might be pleasantly surprised.

4  Thank Zootennany

Reviewed January 22, 2013

The food there just isn't very tasty - the surroundings are a bit tacky and made me question the cleanliness to be honest.

Reviewed January 11, 2013

I recently visited Nanaimo and was told that this was a great Mexican restaurant. The place is small and is an old house that has been turned into a restaurant. I ordered the chimichanga and my husband ordered the taco salad. My order came with a corn dish, beans and rice, all of which were just OK--nothing special. The chimi was very bland and tasted like the oil it was cooked in. I just barely ate some of it. My husband said his taco salad was just so-so. The staff was friendly, but I would not go back again. Compared to the Mexican restaurant we frequent where we live, which is run by real Mexicans, it was a disappointment.

Reviewed January 7, 2013

I don't know who the person is that said it was authentic Mexican food or where in Mexico they'd eaten this kind of food? But our daughter has spent months in Puerto escondido Mexico, and she said it was the farthest thing from Mexican food she's ever had. The sauces taste like a bland spaghetti sauce and the salsa's aren't much better. Each "Mexican" has their own recipe for salsa but this restaurant never came close to those. Must be a Canadian idea of Mexican food? I'd like to know where these people think it's real Mexican food from where? Might be good food for their tastes but not authentic.

1  Thank MaryJo49
Reviewed January 7, 2013

Bland food and a bit pricey.... friendly staff and typical mexi decor. fajitas were not a hot grill item but were 2 wraps with a few pieces of chicken in them with the usual brown mucky beans on the side. it is still a fairly popular spot but i am not sure why... probably no competition for the mexi market in Nomindo.