“Terrible Every Single Time I Go”
Review of Firehouse Grill

Firehouse Grill
Ranked #36 of 323 Restaurants in Nanaimo
Good for: Bar scene, Business meetings, Large groups, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed June 28, 2013

I have been to this restaurant too many times to count, and each time has been bad to say the least. Every time I go, it is only because a friend or a relative has made a reservation for a special occasion. I would never choose to go to this restaurant myself, ever. The food is extremely pricy for what it is. All of the pastas are very very bad. They do not have a blender to make margaritas or other fancy drinks. However, people always tell me the sushi is great (I don`t eat sushi). I have had bad service quite a few times here, and I cannot remember a single time that I have had really good service. It is also really dark in this restaurant, and the parking is very annoying. Won`t go back again.

1  Thank JennaFromNanaimo

Reviewed June 15, 2013

I had the seafood linguine it was fantastic. Would recommend others to go. The staff was friendly and very accommodating when it came to ordering.

1  Thank Jill F
Reviewed June 13, 2013

Ambiance is excellent, sushi was fantastic, seafood fettucinni was spectacular, however service was extremely slow. Servers were very pleasant but it took a very long time to get our food while the restaurant was only half full. It's a shame since the food is so good but this great experience was diminished by the long wait.

1  Thank DBIT
Reviewed June 11, 2013

For a celebratory dinner with my daughter and her boyfriend after her graduation, it had something for everyone with good food, good service at reasonable prices.

2  Thank BabyboomerCalgary
Reviewed June 5, 2013

Maybe it was unusual, but when I was there with my wife, it took an hour to receive a chicken club and some pastas... The waitress took a very long time before taking our order, during which time other guests arrived at their tables and got their order taken long before us. In the end, at least 3 other tables were served and had mostly finished eating before we received our own food, while we arrived before them. After almost an hour the waitress came to us saying the kitchen was backed up, explaining the long wait. Well it sure didn't seem backed up for the other people who arrived after us!!
Worst is, my 12$ chicken sandwich's chicken was way overcooked (I'm pretty sure it sat on the grill for half an hour while they were trying to do my wife's pasta or something), the buns were hard and dry all around for about half an inch thick (each), I had part of one pathetic leaf of lettuce which I had to tear myself to make it fit in the burger, and the most insulting I think: only 1 tomato slice, and it was tiny and white in the middle (unripe), and from that part of the tomato where it is hard and untasty, near where its "tail" was (sorry I don't know the exact name for that). They serve the burger open, showing the lettuce and tomato on one side, so I really don't understand why the cook thought it was a good idea to put that tiny white tomato slice there, where I could see it plainly....
At the end, when bringing us the bill, the waitress said she gave us a discount for the long wait. We received a biiiiig $2.58 discount (for waiting half an hour too long, that's like giving us half the minimum wage salary!). Considering the service and the food, and the insulting 10% discount at the end, I gave her back her 10% as tip (I always tip 18%+ unless I receive a really bad service like this).
In short, I waited an hour to receive an overcooked yet too-quickly-prepared $12 chicken sandwich. I would have eaten much better at McDonald's for half the price. Maybe it is usually good there, I believe it must be, other peoples' plates sure looked like it, but my experience was not a good one and I was insulted even more with a $2.50 discount at the end.
Other than that, the restaurant is in an old church or something like that and looks good enough. Many items on the menu seemed quite expensive.