“One of our regular stops”
Review of Bistro Taiyo

Bistro Taiyo
Ranked #73 of 331 Restaurants in Nanaimo
Cuisines: Japanese
Good for: Families with children, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed March 27, 2013

I think I've actually lost count of the number of times I've been to this restaurant. That in itself says something about how we feel about Bistro Taiyo. The food is consistently good, the lunches are great value (love that 'Healthy Meal Set'!) and there is never a lot of empty seats.

I haven't been there for supper nearly as often as I would like...we like to spread our dining dollars around a group of favourite eating places in Nanaimo...but the times we have dined at night have been equally as nice as during the day but with a more extensive menu to pick from.

I hope the Taiyo is around for a very long time to come because I want to keep enjoying the quality Japanese cuisine they so pleasantly serve up.

Reviewed February 21, 2013

We got deep fried chicken skin (may sound not really pleasure) but it is really good with mayo. We also got curry rice which was really good and really Japanese, salmon roe on rice (very fresh as well), and green tea tiramisu as our dessert. The dessert was surprisingly impressive which I was really happy about since there are not many good Japanese restaurant here in Nanaimo. I would definitely recommend Bistro Taiyo to my friends and will visit it more often.

Reviewed January 23, 2013

This is one of our favourite restaurants for Japanese food. We've eaten here several times and not once disappointed. They change the food selection for their benton boxes and each time has been delicious and all for $10.

1  Thank BC-Islanders
Reviewed October 20, 2012

Bistro Taiyos is a fave lunch place for my friends and I, great location, fast, friendly service, great daily lunch Bento Box specials.
This is one of the finest places in town to eat.

Reviewed October 6, 2012

I was born and grew up in Japan, and I regularly go back to Japan to visit my family and friends. Izakaya (Traditional Japanese style pub/restaurant) is the type of place I often eat while in Japan, as they offer a wide variety of dishes in a lively and casual atmosphere at very reasonable prices. I have been eating at Bistro Taiyo since it was opened by the first owners many years ago, and I saw it evolved from a home-style eatery to a Japanese Izakaya-style restaurant.

The food and service under the current owners/chefs (both originally from Japan) are, in my opinion, the best ever. Every dish is well made and reasonably priced, and all the traditional Japanese dishes taste exactly the way they do in Japan. Their sushi is comparable to nice sushi you get in Japan; good ratio of fish and rice, and the way the sushi rice holds together in Nigiri is perfect. They also have some better quality sake like junmai-ginjo, which is typically drunk cold not hot, at reasonable prices. As for the service, the all-Japanese staff is very friendly, attentive, and efficient.

They have all the dishes and sushi that are standard in Japanese restaurants in Canada but also offer some unique dishes very popular among the Japanese, like Takoyaki (a ball-shaped Japanese snack with octopus) and BBQ beef tongue (my home town is famous for it), which no other Japanese restaurants in town offer.

I highly recommend Bistro Taiyo to anyone who enjoys good Japanese food.

1  Thank Viaggiatrice1988