“Idyll Defined”

Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Nanaimo, Canada
“Idyll Defined”
Reviewed October 2, 2013

This is hands down the best summer micro-retreat in the Nanaimo area. Most of the lunches are cold plate, though there are often soups, pies and pan fried meals to be eaten. There is a nice selection of beer and cider, all of which can be enjoyed in the back garden, either in a generously appointed Andironack chair with wide, plate and glass accommodating arms, or at a shaded picnic table.

The surrounding garden, and views of nearby fields create a tranquil mood, and the fresh country air leaves on feeling reinvigorated.

During winter months, one can sit in cozy booths, with a rustic country atmosphere. Or at a wooden table on mismatched chairs, all charmingly arranged through the two main rooms.

I know I don't mention much about the food, which is well prepared, and simply presented - much what you'd expect in such a setting - nothing fancy, just good quality, homely foods. It's the total experience that earned my five stars, and keeps me coming back.

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank DIslandgirl

Kelowna, Canada
“Bleedin' lovely!”
Reviewed September 23, 2013 via mobile

What an absolute delight! This pub is definitely worth the drive & whilst the food was not massively exciting, the ambience & staff definitely made up for it. It would be delightful in summer/ spring/ autumn days in the beautiful beer garden & cozy inside with the open fire in winter. There was even a resident cat which we (being cat lovers) were very happy to see! Gorgeous pub, perfect for nights out having a beer with friends, wish it was our local!

Calgary
“A Taste of Jolly Old”
Reviewed September 22, 2013

My wife and I visited the Crow & Gate on the recommendation of friends in the area and loved it. Ordering food and drinks at the bar took me right back to our trip to England in 2009. There was some great beer on tap and the food was delicious. The garden area looked very nice but we stuck to the indoors. We are definitely going back the next time we are in Nanaimo and we are recommending to all of our friends.

• Visited August 2013
Calgary, Canada
“Garden Delight”
Reviewed September 13, 2013

My husband and I visited the Crow and Gate with some dear friends on a warm September afternoon. We sat outside in the garden, old English style, and enjoyed some refreshing beer on tap. The atmosphere is lovely; flower gardens and grass with small tables, benches, and scattered casually for people to use. You buy the beverages and food inside the restaurant. Some patrons sat inside and had full service. The mood was light and relaxing. I would definitely recommend this place and plan to visit here the next time we're in Nanaimo!

Langford, Canada
“Very different pub experience”
Reviewed September 4, 2013

We have been here several times, I thought I reviewed it but no. Anyway, great British Pub experience. Order your meal and drinks at the bar and then they are brought to your table. The outside area is great, green and quiet with birds everywhere. Staff is friendly and service prompt. The food is British fare without the fried foods that are at most pubs. This makes it better, potato salad, cheese, salad and simple British dishes are offered and are excellent (Meat pies, sausages, soups). Well worth the drive, especially on a sunny day. Take people who are visiting the Island here.

1 Thank bwick22