“Still Great 28 Years Later!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Crow & Gate Pub

Crow & Gate Pub
Ranked #5 of 321 Restaurants in Nanaimo
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub, Canadian
Good for: Scenic view, Bar scene, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Large groups, Romantic
Dining options: Drinks, Brunch, Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Victoria, BC
“Still Great 28 Years Later!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2012

The last time I went to the Crow and Gate Pub was in 1984, and it was a charming location and very popular restaurant even back then. And, from what I could tell from my September 1, 2012 lunch visit, it has done nothing but improve over the last 28 years. The bucolic setting is gorgeous, with the grounds and buildings perfectly tended, inside and out.

The day of our visit was sunny and hot so we sat outside in the garden, although I could have been tempted to take an inside table as the interior of the restaurant is so English-cozy and Tudor-attractive.

Our lovely server, Brett, was super friendly, very knowledgable, and incredibly efficient delivering our drinks and food. We were a foursome and had some special requests (for example, I needed a gluten-free meal, and she was very helpful making suggestions) and she made sure we all got our orders exactly as requested.

I saw a piece of their amazing blueberry-blackberry pie being delivered to another table and pointed it out to my companions. Brett noticed our interest, came right over, and offered to put a piece on hold for us, as the pie was a special item-of-the-day and going fast. We jumped at that offer (and the fresh filling was delicious, although I cannot personally report on what looked like very light and flaky pastry).

Everyone thoroughly enjoyed their meals including a Farmer Pub Plate (generous variety of cheese, meats, chutney, potato salad and green salad), steak & kidney pie, scotch egg plate, and a beef dip. They somehow manage to make their pub-fare fresher, lighter and tastier than any other pub menu I've sampled.

I won't let another 28 years pass before I go back again!

• Visited September 2012

Dallas, Texas
“Dining on an emerald green lawn”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2012

What a treat this was--dining on a deep green lawn amidst flower-filled islands, shaded by tall evergreen trees. One might think to find such a setting in rural England, but the food here is lighter and far better than traditional pub fare! Food was delivered in a flash. Crab cakes and meat pies were delectable, filling but not greasy. Deliciously decadent chocolate cheesecake.
HANDICAP / ELDERS TIP: There is no-step wheelchair access to the pub (go through the arbor and past the first door) and to the lawn area (from the parking lot, follow the iron fence at right angles to the arbor).

• Visited August 2012
Gabriola Island, Canada
“British style pub in Cedar, south of Nanaimo.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2012

This pub is out in the rural countryside. Inside is cosy and lovely. Outside you can sit in a wonderful garden area, weather permitting. They have very good house wines as well as a selection of beers. The food is wonderful, way better than the usual pub fare. Try the crab cakes plate!

Visited July 2012
“Welcome bit of civilization after a week on the road”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2012

We arrived at the Crow & Gate after a week up-island (great trip, but cool weather for late July). We got into the C&G at about 5:30 so just ahead of teh rush. We ordered our local beers and went into the garden. It was heaven. I had a Hermann's dark lager. There is abslutley nothing better than a smooth, cool (not overly chilled) lager afer a long day in a hot car. |I also had the oyster burger - nicely done. The oysters weren't too big - a common flaw.

• Visited July 2012
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Nanaimo
“Cedar's best pub”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2012

I quite enjoy the Crow and Gate and have been numerous times.

It is (as many have already said) an English style pub. You walk in, read the menu and order your food/drinks at the bar. Then go have a seat with your beverage and await your tasty English style food. It is always fresh and my favourite dishes are the Roast Beef and yorkshire night or the beef dip. It comes with a decent sized garden salad and a scoop of coleslaw.

The gardens here are a must. It is so lovely to sit outside on a summer's eve sipping a cold drink and enjoying the company you are with.

Also, they do not take reservations so if you have a large party or want a specific spot, come early!

There are a few neat secrets about this place if you know where to look!

• Visited September 2011