“Not Much Reason to Go Back Here”

The Keg Steakhouse + Bar - Nanaimo
Ranked #97 of 323 Restaurants in Nanaimo
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed June 29, 2013

A group of 8 friends all in possession of Keg Gift Card decided to go out at the same time. The restaurant is large but considering we we there at prime time Thursday night, the place was surprisingly empty.

Serving steak primarily is not brain surgery in the restaurant business. It requires quality raw product, specific cooking temperature and service. The Key in Nanaimo and across the Country has been in business for years. They should have got it right by now.

Not one guest was anything more than tepid in their praise for their meals and 4 were badly disappointed.

The common complaints was tough meat. The fillet did not even have grill marks on it indicating the grill wasn't hot enough. Gristle in the fillet as well indicated poor quality product. Other complaints focused on meat not being cooked to the guests requested preferences. Either it was over or under cooked.

Barely acceptable service was the high point.

The Keg is not cheap. A great deal more is expected.

They are a Nanaimo Institution I fear will not be here much longer unless they improve.

Not one of the 8 guests said that they would be back.

1  Thank Mlinklater
There are newer reviews for The Keg Steakhouse + Bar - Nanaimo

Reviewed April 13, 2013

Two of us plus a toddler. It was 6pm when we arrived. Busy, but seated right away in the lounge. That was fine. Server didn't bring cutlery or side plates, we got up and got them ourselves. Food took forever. An hour. Pretty frustrating with a toddler. We did appreciate the kids snack plate. Server was friendly and attentive without being very courteous. If that makes sense. No apologies for the very long wait for food. Food finally came, was very mediocre. One salmon (overcooked, dry undercooked vegetables) and one steak (ok)
Seems like the menu is the same old, but portions and presentations have changed. Really disappointed.
One appetizer, 2 entrees, 4 drinks, 2 desserts, kids French fries =$160.

Reviewed April 6, 2013

Had our company dinner at the restaurant this last Christmas. Not sure the final tally for staff but would guess around 40....and we hardly made a dent in the restaurant and lounge area. This place has plenty of room for any size gathering. Standard Keg menu and good taste. Drinks are always checked and topped up before you need them. Great service.

Reviewed February 25, 2013

I hear people talk about how much they like the Keg and after going there with a gift certificate I really wonder why its still open here. The steak was tough (New York strip loin). I have eaten alot of steak over the years and the Keg Steak was like something that was delivered from a Chinese food resteraunt at 4 am. Hard to beleive they call this a steak house. I ordered medium rare and it was not an enjoyable experiance at all. I would never go back to the Keg anywhere.
Sad part is the steak was 35.00. Yes, thirty five dollars for a steak that does not compare to the strip loin cuts I buy for $8.00.
I cant belive this place can stay open with the crappy location and very poor food
Thank god it was a gift certificate as this experiance was over $100 for two people with maybe one or two drinks. I would have really felt ripped off had I paid out of pocket

Reviewed February 14, 2013

The front girls looked at my family like we had the plague... Sorry but customer service like that we will never be returning.