“Huge Resaurant and good”

The Keg Steakhouse + Bar - Nanaimo
Ranked #97 of 321 Restaurants in Nanaimo
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse, Canadian
Good for: Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
canada
“Huge Resaurant and good”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2013

Had our company dinner at the restaurant this last Christmas. Not sure the final tally for staff but would guess around 40....and we hardly made a dent in the restaurant and lounge area. This place has plenty of room for any size gathering. Standard Keg menu and good taste. Drinks are always checked and topped up before you need them. Great service.

Visited December 2012

Nanaimo, Canada
“the steak was very poor”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013

I hear people talk about how much they like the Keg and after going there with a gift certificate I really wonder why its still open here. The steak was tough (New York strip loin). I have eaten alot of steak over the years and the Keg Steak was like something that was delivered from a Chinese food resteraunt at 4 am. Hard to beleive they call this a steak house. I ordered medium rare and it was not an enjoyable experiance at all. I would never go back to the Keg anywhere.
Sad part is the steak was 35.00. Yes, thirty five dollars for a steak that does not compare to the strip loin cuts I buy for $8.00.
I cant belive this place can stay open with the crappy location and very poor food
Thank god it was a gift certificate as this experiance was over $100 for two people with maybe one or two drinks. I would have really felt ripped off had I paid out of pocket

“Very unwelcoming!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 14, 2013

The front girls looked at my family like we had the plague... Sorry but customer service like that we will never be returning.

Nanoose Bay
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A Terrible Night Out”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 15, 2013

The keg in Nanaimo was 45 minutes late when they seated us. Standing and no courtesy and honesty to tell us that they overbooked the place . Apologies for the delay in sitting us and no offer of drinks at least.
The food was over cooked and potatoes were burnt and served very late. It was a night mare
and complete discomfort to go to bed after eating . The exact date of our Keg night was Jan 12, 2013.This marks the ending of patronizing the keg. I think the Keg owes me an apology and compensation for ruinning a special night.

Dita

1 Thank nandipen
“Grossly disappointing when busy”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2013

Saturday Jan12 , 2013. Reservation for 7:30. We are seated with repeated apologies of the delay at 8:10 standing waiting....waiting......almost leaving.
Place is packed with seated people waiting for their meals.
Advised that kitchen is backed up, delayed food service, and not to order Prime Rib, as all gone. It is still mid-shift.Hmm ! Specialty of the house and none left!!!!
Salads arrive with bread promptly then 55 minutes till our steaks arrive. Everyone ordered medium well, but all steaks are black, double stuffed potatoes over cooked with dark brown and slightly blackened crust. All steaks chewy, tough, dry. What the heck !
Walked out of the restaurant at 10:00 without coffee or desert. Had hoped to be out the door 8:45 ish. No booze, still the meal cost $160.00 taxes in for 5 adults .
Waitress pleasant enough and apologetic, but hard to be enthusiastic about a bad restauant decision for a big night out.
The Keg on a Saturday night is clearly not prepared to handle a capacity crowd.
Last visit a month ago, on an off-nite was terrific.
Beware of busy nights if at the Keg in Nanaimo especially a Saturday night. You could well end up disappointed after paying large, like we were.
Tipped well anyhow (not the fault of the waitress), and were in good company so we survived but I cannot recommend, and I hope Management can get its act together to protect the Keg brand.
Capacity crowd would not be a problem at a Keg in Calgary or Toronto, and probably elsewhere.