“Consistently outstanding”

Ranked #19 of 323 Restaurants in Nanaimo
Cuisines: Contemporary
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Charming 1904 heritage building with ornamental and vegetable gardens. We focus on fresh and local ingredients with warm professional service in a casual upscale environment.
Reviewed January 9, 2014 via mobile

We had dinner this evening January 9, 2014. When I had called two days earlier to make the reservation, I asked about vegetarian options and was apprised of several choices. When we arrived, our hostess actually remembered speaking to me and our food preferences. She was most helpful with our selections and very knowledgeable about the menu, the ingredients and the wines.

The menu is not extensive but the food is outstanding in its diversity of ingredients, preparation, flavours and nutritional quality.

I had the Brie, Mushroom & Caramelized Onion Tart appetizer and the Curried Lentil & Goat Cheese Phyllo Roll, Indian Vegetable Ratatouille in Coconut Curry Sauce. My wife had the Seafood Cakes, Carrot & Daikon Slaw, Roasted Garlic Tartar Sauce appetizer and the Steelhead fillet from the Prix fixe 3 course menu, which allowed us to share a scrumptious dessert. Our wine was the Arrowleaf First Crush, the least expensive one on the list but exceptional nonetheless. As one of our friends would say, our palettes were "purring."

Very few restaurants offer original, interesting and high-quality vegetarian dishes, let alone the professional, knowledgeable staff to present them. The Mahle House is one of them.

First rate in every respect.

2  Thank bgrigor
Tara W, Owner at Mahle House Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded January 17, 2014

Thank you for the lovely review - You have an impressive memory and eye for detail!
While our menu does not focus on vegetarian fare we do take care to ensure that the options we have are interesting and flavourful. The service comments are greatly appreciated - it is an important part of the dining experience and a pleasure to hear that our efforts in this regard are appreciated.

Reviewed December 10, 2013

Definitely one of the very finest restaurants is B.C. The food is amazingly well prepared and delicious. The selection of wines available is among the best. I only wish that I could afford to visit the Mahle House more often. Prices are not unreasonable but are a bit more than my pension can handle on a regular basis.

1  Thank Frank G
Reviewed November 24, 2013

We went on a Sunday, and I don't remember what its called, but we had one of the chef's recommendation type meals. We came because a couple of our friends said it was amazing and they would go every day if they could.

Now I see why. The place has a clean, old feel to it and is nicely manicured outside, wheelchair accessible in case you need that.

Service was very good. Food was really amazing. The portions were very ample. More than most fine dining places I have been to. Not only does the food taste great but you leave truly full.

We will be going there as frequent as possible now that we have discovered the place.

1  Thank agm1984
Reviewed October 25, 2013

I wish I had taken the time to submit this review at the time we visited, and am only doing so in the hope that the owner finds it useful as it has bothered me for a year - should have given the owner the information so he/she could ensure the staff was corrected. My wife and I went for our anniversary in the hopes of a special experience. Unfortunately, the staff that night was distracted by a neighboring table who were obviously local VIPs and for the most part we were ignored while the staff hovered nearby. Worse yet, my wife's chicken meal arrived bloody in the centre, and when we got the staff's attention they later returned with the meal and it was not even re-plated (microwave?) - a definite no-no at this price point. Very disappointing and we'll never be back.

1  Thank Owen C

Thank you for your feedback - we're sorry to hear that your experience fell short. We have a number of regular customers who dine with us 3-4 times per month. Our staff have come to know these guests well and as a result are quite friendly/chatty with these regulars. Your comments are certainly fair and we have discussed the impact of these relationships on other guests in the dining room. In the future we will take greater care to ensure that we strike a balance between acknowledging our return customers and offering all diners attentive personal service.
When food is returned to our kitchen for any reason our typical procedure is to correct the problem and re-plate the meal with freshly prepared accompaniments or if warranted to prepare a new dish. Obviously we failed in your case to properly resolve the shortcomings of your experience, failed to recognize your displeasure and to address it to your satisfaction prior to your departure. For this we truly apologize and hope to be able to provide a better experience for you one day.

Stephen & Tara Wilson

Reviewed September 8, 2013

Our B&B host suggested us this restaurant. What a wonderful experience this was. Very good service from the heart and the best food we had in Canada during our trip. very good value for money.