“Service Failure”

Ranked #16 of 323 Restaurants in Nanaimo
Cuisines: Contemporary
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Charming 1904 heritage building with ornamental and vegetable gardens. We focus on fresh and local ingredients with warm professional service in a casual upscale environment.
Reviewed October 25, 2013

I wish I had taken the time to submit this review at the time we visited, and am only doing so in the hope that the owner finds it useful as it has bothered me for a year - should have given the owner the information so he/she could ensure the staff was corrected. My wife and I went for our anniversary in the hopes of a special experience. Unfortunately, the staff that night was distracted by a neighboring table who were obviously local VIPs and for the most part we were ignored while the staff hovered nearby. Worse yet, my wife's chicken meal arrived bloody in the centre, and when we got the staff's attention they later returned with the meal and it was not even re-plated (microwave?) - a definite no-no at this price point. Very disappointing and we'll never be back.

1  Thank Owen C
Tara W, Owner at Mahle House Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded January 17, 2014

Thank you for your feedback - we're sorry to hear that your experience fell short. We have a number of regular customers who dine with us 3-4 times per month. Our staff have come to know these guests well and as a result are quite friendly/chatty with these regulars. Your comments are certainly fair and we have discussed the impact of these relationships on other guests in the dining room. In the future we will take greater care to ensure that we strike a balance between acknowledging our return customers and offering all diners attentive personal service.
When food is returned to our kitchen for any reason our typical procedure is to correct the problem and re-plate the meal with freshly prepared accompaniments or if warranted to prepare a new dish. Obviously we failed in your case to properly resolve the shortcomings of your experience, failed to recognize your displeasure and to address it to your satisfaction prior to your departure. For this we truly apologize and hope to be able to provide a better experience for you one day.

Stephen & Tara Wilson

Reviewed September 8, 2013

Our B&B host suggested us this restaurant. What a wonderful experience this was. Very good service from the heart and the best food we had in Canada during our trip. very good value for money.

Reviewed August 26, 2013

I have not reviewed the Mahle House in a while but the focus of this observation,as opposed to my past review, is the Mahle House Garden Party. This amazing event is back, after an unfortunate absence due to beaurocratic issues and I for one am extremely pleased that Stepen and Tera Wilson were able to partner with the North Cedar Volunteer Fire Dept to stage the Nanaimo area culinary and wine exposition of the summer.

Fourteen wine agents presented samplings of over 150 fabulous B.C. wines from the Okanagen , Saltspring and Vancouver Islands. Amazing appies of smoked salmon, curried chicken and other treats on a variety of toasts, cucumber slices and hollowed cherry tomato. A perfect compliment to the wine offerings and a prelude to a spectacular buffet lunch of succulent salmon medallions with dill sauce, beautifully tender medium rare cold strip loin roast beef, savory hot three cheese bread pudding and a variety of beautiful fresh salads. Fresh fruit and hand made ice cream finished the meal.

This event was superbly organized and the wine sampling , appy service and the buffet where handled with amazing precision. The gardens are beatiful and a wonderful setting for this event. Quality and service were supurb at every level.

My hat is offto all staff, Stephen and Tera and the aazing Nothh Cedar Volunteer Fire Department fior a first class 5 star event. I would give 6 stars if I could. This is a once a year event. I highly recommend that if you have an opportunity that you go and have a wonderful time. I did. Cheers

Reviewed August 5, 2013

I've had the pleasure of staying in Canada for 3 months and have been to a variety of restaurants. This was definitely my best evening meal I've had. Lots of local fresh produce, tasty dishes, good wines and very friendly service. The atmosphere is very cosy and they've tried to keep it simple and personable. The garden surrounding the house is beautiful. Finally a pace where they serve something different than steak and chips, and to a high standard. Not the cheapest, but the quality of the food is certainly worth it.

Reviewed August 4, 2013

The best experience we have had with several guests was the Wednesday night "tasting" - each person gets a different item for each of many courses. Each was tasted by everyone and all of the offerings were some of the best food we had enjoyed in any restaurant. Creative chefs in the kitchen are apparent - and the staff love to see the surprised looks on every face. Every appetizer, salad, soup, entree, and dessert was unique and wonderful. Reservations for this evening are needed, I would think. We have been here several times and each time have been pleased with the food and the service. The building is heritage, and the atmosphere is not sophisticated. It is NOT a bistro, or specifically ethnic. But the offerings will please most open minded diners.