“Good food and service, lovely people working here”
Review of Cactus Club Cafe

Cactus Club Cafe
Ranked #29 of 330 Restaurants in Nanaimo
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed March 29, 2014

We have lunch here every week with my 94 year old aunt, who loves her quesadilla and yam fries. The staff and management at the Cactus Club always go out of their way to make her feel special and welcome, from opening the back door to make it easier for her to come in with her walker, to making her quesadilla with avocados and mushrooms just the way she likes it. My Aunt is in the hospital at the moment, so I went for a pick up order for her and they very sweetly said it was "on the house". This is the kind of service that keeps us coming back.

2  Thank Joan721

Reviewed February 28, 2014

Cactus club has been getting worse and worse over the past little while, The did a reno, and thankfully took down all the creepy pictures, but other than that nothing changed. The service is still terrible, they are more concerned with socializing with each other or their friends at the bar, then providing good service.

I always liked the food, so I would go just for my favorite items and just expected bad service, but now the food has gone down hill. Nothing tastes fresh, everything seems previously frozen and has a fast food flavor to it.

I spoke to the manager on my last visit when he asked me how everything was and I said that I was disappointed in the food and the service that I had experienced - I had eaten about 2 bites of my food.

He basically shrugged and said sorry about that and walked away.

Will never go back!

2  Thank sj s
Reviewed February 15, 2014 via mobile

Just dropped in becuase we wanted a late dinner. Wasnt sure about a sat night and not so great reviews. We came in greeted friendly and seated right away. Hostess and server both very nice. Fun music and dark intimate atmosphere. No doable food choices for my eight year old, but the restaurant wasnt to her liking. The menu was small but intetesting choices. Over all a fine enough eavening out just not kid friendly.

Reviewed January 30, 2014

On one of our frequent visits to Nanaimo to do some shopping we decided to lunch at Cactus Club. We were immediately seated and shortly after met by our server Kim. We intended to share appetizers. Kim was most helpful in both knowledge of the menu and suggestions . We settled on the yam fries and 3 slider burgers. As it was just my wife and myself Kim had the chef cut one of the sliders in half so we would have equal portions. Something that made our experience a little special. The food was excellent and the desert that Kim suggested was also very good. It was an apple galette, as Kim stated, baked fresh each day in limited amounts. I would suggest if they are available , enjoy one. Overall a very nice way to break up our shopping visit.

1  Thank Reg L
Reviewed January 5, 2014

We eat out locally quite a bit and have never tried here due to the word-of-mouth reputation. Despite what we've heard, we tried going there last night and I must say that our encounter satisfied the stereotype that Nanaimo's Cactus Club carries. We never made it into the restaurant as the 5 hostess' didn't seem to be capable of completing the task.

It was a Saturday, busy and loud, but they had 5 employees standing in the entrance (presumably there to greet customers). I couldn't get over how all 5 had blank looks on their faces, each one made eye contact with me several times but none said a single hello, gave a welcoming smile, or otherwise engaged in what one would institute as an initiating means of hosting.

One bright employee walked over to me and asked if I've been helped? She was pleasant and showed initiative until after my answer of "we're just looking for a table for 2" she left me to go back to stand at her post. At this point I was beginning to laugh and it was hard to conceal my smile.

Before things got painful, I asked for a table for 2 to the one employee standing in front of the screen. I didn't get any response from her, she looked down at her screen, studied the display in silence... waited... then gave the news the restaurant is full and we could find a seat in the lounge if any available.

She didn't inform us the wait time, just literally pointed towards the lounge area. The other 4 were still with blank faces.

The lounge was obviously full but we entertained the act of walking the circle around the lounge to be sure we weren't missing out. After our lap, we walked out the door, the 5 still standing post.

Our experience was not negative in any means, just comical. After all I've heard about this place, it was too funny to see it in action. The employees were not at all disgruntled, just un-engaging. All were dressed to the part and displayed ample time spent on appearance. We proceeded across the street to the Longwood were we encountered a greeting both upstairs and downstairs!

Our advice would be to avoid all the chain restaurants, unless you really enjoy the thrilling conversations and riveting expressions the Nanaimo's Cactus Club has to offer.

3  Thank KellyJo595