“A gastronomic legend in Nanaimo”

Bold Knight Restaurant
Ranked #96 of 325 Restaurants in Nanaimo
Cuisines: Seafood, Steakhouse
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed February 18, 2012

This restaurant has been a Nanaimo landmark for decades and never fails to impress. Quailty steak and seafood are always predictable at the Bold Night Restaurant. My family and I have dined there for years. A great place to celebrate special days in a quiet atmosphere. Great Greek dishes too! Anyone who has lived in Nanaimo for any length of time will have good memories from dining at the Bold Knight Restaurant.

8  Thank Blake85

Reviewed October 6, 2011

We have been to The Bold Knight many times & we have never been disappointed.
The food & service are great & the menu has something for everyone. Their steak & sambucca prawns are to die for!! We celebrate all our special occasions there and always
have a wonderful evening.

9  Thank vipaddler
Reviewed June 14, 2011

I was looking for a place to have a nice dinner and a couple I met hiking recommended the Bold Knight. I was taken aback as I never had considered eating there as its kind of out of the way off the highway around Chase River.

We loved our meals. The restaurant was like going back in time to 1972, but hey, that was a great year for me! Service was excellent and the house wine was perfect.

My husband had a steak and it was one of the best we'd ever sampled. I had a local halibut which was perfectly cooked. They also do Greek food which I would love to try.

The price was the same as a crappy Keg meal, so why not support the oldest restaurant in Nanaimo run by a local family? You won't be sorry!

We'll certainly be back, thanks!

8  Thank PG1111
Reviewed January 9, 2011

If you are looking for a new, trendy, stylish place to eat, this isn't it. None of your coworkers are going to think you're cool if you say you love The Bold Knight. But you'll eat a good meal if you go there. We went last night because we'd heard from a lot of friends that "they serve really yummy food". Nobody has ever said to me it's a "nice restaurant" and the majority of the clientele while we were there had gray hair. I half-expected to see a mob boss sitting in the corner, or be asked "smoking or non?" The carpet is horrific, the booths literally have dollar-store lamps with tea lights that the server lights when they arrive. There's no sushi on the menu (in BC!? Oh, the humanity!). The bathroom made me feel like I was in a high school again. The bar is upholstered and the drink menu boasts exotic cocktails like a paralyzer and a screwdriver. Our entrees were served on plates that had a really lovely pink floral design on the edges. Not one piece of food was artfully stacked on another (though my julienned veggies were piled together, I must say). The entire restaurant, from the bar with the liquor bottles shoved any which way on a fluorescently lit shelf, to the carpets, to the wood paneling, could use a total gut job. The bathrooms are intensely ugly. It hasn't been updated in the 34 years they've been open, we're certain.
But here's our take: I don't think they care. They've been open 34 years. They're obviously doing something right and from the moment you walk in the door, you're sure it's gotta be the food. We skipped appetizers so I can't tell you anything about those, but our server said the stuffed mushrooms and calamari are really good, and from the look of the table next to us who ordered them and promptly inhaled them, they seemed a hit. Our waitress was not the type of jokey obnoxious girl who hangs around your table so long you wonder why you didn't invite HER for dinner and save yourself the trouble. She was attentive and then she was missing, which is exactly how service should be. We both ordered the steak and lobster simply based on our astonishment of the size of the meal quoted. 8oz sirloin, and TWO (count them) lobster tails. Nothing on the appetizer menu had the appeal of wood-fire scallops so we added them to our meal as well. Why not, at this point? Salad came with the meal and was completely unimpressive. Food wise - it was my only down point. They needn't have bothered. Dinner obviously comes with bread in a place such as this, wrapped in a mauve napkin and served with herb butter. Dated, but yummy. Our mains came out and I was amazed at the volume of food, and couldn't help but laugh when the "baked potato girl" followed our server to our table (What must she tell people she does??) toting her silver apparatus that I don't believe has any other use. My baked potato was a good size and wrapped in gold foil. I kid you not. I was dying to ask where they ordered it. My steak was cooked perfectly, my lobster was delicious and properly cooked and prepared, and the scallops blew me away. To find a place even next to the ocean that doesn't over-cook a scallop is nearly impossible. They were huge, we got seven of them (I was expecting three for the price they were to add on) and they were perfect. Unlike a steakhouse like The Keg that thinks a side of veggies means one huge unwieldy chunk of broccoli, mine were a really nice mixture, and properly cooked. My husband had a limoncello vodka concoction that was delicious, and I had a coffee (I hadn't slept in a long while, and couldn't help it). My coffee was fresh and stayed full even through my meal though I'm sure I was the only one in the place having any.
The entire affair made us laugh. There is not one pretentious thing about this restaurant. It's as though they know how to cook and couldn't possibly care less what you thought of anything but the food. It's almost sarcastic. We loved it, we'll go back. Maybe after we have sushi for lunch, we are in BC after all.

NOTE: I've never once reviewed a restaurant online and I eat out A LOT. But after reading how many people attacked this place, I couldn't help but add my two cents. Not that they need it. I'm sure in 15 years they'll still be there while I'm trying to find out what my favorite sushi place is called now that it's switched hand for the millionth time.

10  Thank petermelliebella
Reviewed June 19, 2010

The Bold Knight (Trans-Canada Highway, Chase River, Nanaimo BC)

The place is so bad it gives bad a bad name.

Having driven by this cherub-bum pink and tricycle-blue cinderblock for years, we finally threw conventional dining wisdom down the garbarator and went for dinner.

Sometime, even when your brain is screaming, “Stop now. You can save yourself. Turn and run!” you still cross the threshold, and, like a portal into a bygone era bad dream, it is suddenly in 1978. Don’t look down because that is also the last year the carpeting was changed. The walls are a jousting match of Arthurian knights, complete with crossed swords and shields, hoisted on a backdrop of mottled (is that mould?) textured flock wallpaper.

There were other diners. That, stupidly, gave us hope.

Seated in a booth upholstered in burled Carpathian genuine imitation leather, we looked at each other, and the absurdity of our situation, and started to laugh. Then we looked up. The ceiling is a cosmos of gold flecked mirror and, in his best Austin Powers accent, my Brit friend Ian crooned, “Shag me baby.” More laughter.

Then we waited, and waited, and waited. Three tables. Three waitresses, but still we waited. Finally water arrived. After 15 minutes. Then the menus; papyrus from the crypt of a Greek Steakhouse circa 1980.

Shock and awe. First at the items listed (when was the last time you’ve seen escargot in garlic butter with mozzarella cheese…if ever?), and then the prices. WHAT?!? Five star prices in a dime deli.

Ian the Brave ordered popcorn shrimp and I had oysters Rockefeller. His shrimp, when they finally arrived (cold) were miniscule indentured shrimp incarcerated in handcuffs of cornmeal clay served with Kraft mayo. My oysters, although advertised as Fanny Bay, likely came from a salt water swamp near the BP oil spill in the Gulf. Spongy watery spinach blanketed the meager oysters and to further the injustice, Canadian asiago cheese was mounded on top and then the whole mess was cooked to within an inch of its life, thus creating a trampoline texture to the outer surface.

Then our respective glasses of wine arrived. 30 minutes after ordering them, having reminded our waitress 3 times. It was warm red wine, likely stored beside the stove. Whatever it was supposed to be it wasn’t. It was cruel and red. That’s as far as we got.

Then the main event. My meal was ribs. Overcooked with about 15 centimeters of coagulating syrupy-sweet ketchup sauce and, this really is the best part, a baked potato wrapped in luminous gold flecked (to match the ceiling no doubt) tin foil.

Ian’s Alaska crab has been frozen during the last ice age, defrosted and cooked quickly, thus leaving the extremities warm but the inside ice cold. His steak, he did admit, was okay and cooked medium rare, as ordered. He too was gifted with the gold wrapped baked potato and proffered, via a 5- sectioned serving vessel (did they find it in a garage sale?), sour cream, chives, faux bacon bits and ketchup. Egad! Oh yes, and long-ago steamed broccoli stems - can’t forget those.

Nothing of what was ordered was finished. We had to ask for our bill repeatedly and then gave up, went to the front cash, and as much as we wanted to pull a “dine and dash” paid an outrageous amount for tragically unhip nauseating food and service.

It will be a bold night in hell before we’d venture through those doors again.

7  Thank keyboardscribe