“Avoid!”
Review of Acme Food Company - CLOSED

Acme Food Company
Cuisines: Seafood, Healthy, Canadian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: We provide a West Coast inspired menu with an emphasis on seafood and healthy options, including gluten free and vegan. Oysters on the half shell. Vancouver Island Craft Beers.
Reviewed August 23, 2013

Now I've never been to the sushi buffet (Nori sushi kills them in value anyways) so I can't comment on that. But for our group of 9 (two kids age 7) we had a bad experience. No kids menu, almost no dishes with rice. Overly expensive for the food quality and the waitress was no where to be found for a good 10 minuets when we were ready to order. I even had to call the waitress over to refill my drinks because she never checked in at our table.

Take your money elsewhere. Better value and food.

Reviewed July 24, 2013

i have had lots of sushi and this was by far the worst. I wish is was better great idea but not worth a penny, tempura was rock hard and the nori is the worst I have ever had. the place could also use a regular cleaning

Reviewed July 20, 2013

Quiet on a week night. Nice place. Good service, great location. Close to historical walks, the harbour and shops. Funky and modern decor. Gyoza appetizer was well received. Well presented, not overly fried or greasy. Appetizer platter very nice. Sauces complimented the shrimp and wrapped scallops nicely, but the star of the show was the light and tasty crab cake. I had the club sandwich which was not quite what I expected. I prefer my bread toasted with a bit more crisp and prefer a greens selection with a bit more crunch and snap to it. While the overall flavour was good. The texture was a bit lacking. The chowder as a side was one of the best choices we made that night. So good in fact that I hardly got any of it. My wife's feta and dill salmon was excellent. Not overcooked or over seasoned. Nice bed of quinoa and nice selection of vegetables as well. Not usually a big fan of food colouring, but the fact that my kids ate the cauliflower because it was purple and orange made it ok by me. My 2 and 4 year old shared a "small portion" alfredo. Good dish, but make no mistake. It is small. I almost left out one of my favorite dishes. The oysters on a 1/2 shell. Fresh and sweet, with a variety of creative sauces, and fresh horse radish. Great dish. Overall very happy. The appetizer portions were a bit small for my liking but the fresh ingredients and and overall quality of the food, service, and environment more than made it for it. Would be happy to eat here again.

Reviewed July 2, 2013

I agree with most other reviewers: pretentious staff who seem not to welcome business at the best of times and if they are out of things on the menu, the customer is blamed for not checking the website (that was under construction for months BTW). There are lots of better choices now in Nanaimo, especially for sushi. And $21.50 for a sushi buffet at 11 a.m.??? Seems absurd to me. It is not even good Japanese food in the first place. Hope their business goes down to nothing again as it historically has been most weekdays and several friends of mine refuse to go near the place in the evening because of the poor service. Today we walked out and I assure you we shall not be back.

Reviewed June 14, 2013

We went in with reasonable expectations based on past experience but it had been a few years. We were met with distracted, unfriendly staff. I guess customers are a nuisance here.. they clearly did not appreciate our business, despite the place being all but empty. Our table was served by the owner (someone said). He was a terse, condescending man, impatient with our group while we ordered. The saving grace would have been good food, but the sushi was so awful, we couldn't eat it. We didn't bother talking to the distracted staff about it.. we just won't be returning.

1  Thank yesyesyes15