“Too noisy for a new facility”

The Marinaside Resort / Palms Hotel & Condominiums
Ranked #29 of 34 Nanaimo B&B and Inns
Reviewed April 4, 2014

This is a new condo hotel that has an ok location. The room is ok for 100.00 but you can hear the TV and smell the cooking in the adjoining unit. The folks who were staying next door were not all that noisy but you can hear everything clear as a bell, tv dialogue, drink blender, doors you get the idea. I thought it was odd that they took my payment when I arrived. Now i know why.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
3  Thank CostaRica2010_10

Reviewed April 2, 2014 via mobile

we did not get a chance to stay based on error with hotels.com

Front desk procedures are very lacking. doesn't seem to have anyone with hotel background running the hotel.

Hopefully they can work out the bugs before all guests go elsewhere.

Rooms very very small. Guest were complaining about housekeeping issues.

Parking is on the street , not very secure.

Stayed: April 2014
1  Thank 154914Charlie
Reviewed March 13, 2014

My family and I LOVE this hotel! I like to call it my home away from home! It is rare for myself and my kids to feel completely comfortable in a hotel but whenever we stay here we feel right at home! Make sure you get the presidential suite ( it is worth every penny) The staff is beyond amazing, they are helpful, kind, sweet and treat you like one of the family. We love it! I have NOTHING bad to say about this place! We have stayed twice and already plan to come back. When I contact the hotel they always remember me and give me the best service possible. This is by far the best hotel in Nanaimo and the surrounding areas!

Room Tip: Get the presidential suite (worth every penny)
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed February 18, 2014

Stayed here Friday evening.
Got a good price on it but past ratings were consistent on size.
All were right.
It is 200sq' all in. LED tv on wall, bar fridge, coffee maker.
Almost full wall window to see boat works yard / marina.
Very clean and up to date.
There is one restaurant below the hotel on the water.
Few minutes away from marina pubs. Few minutes away from Nanaimo Ferry terminal.
Great location and as long as you don't plan on entertaining a large crowd the space definitely makes do and is comfortable.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed February 16, 2014

Easy check in, not inexpensive, yet not over the top for what you get, we had the suite overlooking the harbor. It was spacious, well equipped luxury with full functioning kitchen, washer/dryer, robes and slippers. We had looked at another hotel that was close to the ferries yet for $40 more we were very glad that we looked at this one before committing to the other one. Loved sitting in the living room over looking the harbor, we would stay here again.

Room Tip: Pay extra to get the suite much larger than the single room with excellent view.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 11, 2014

I stayed here on business for four stints of four days. I Stayed in a suite and enjoyed the kitchen facilities, full size fridge and stove. The view was enjoyable always something going on in the harbour. Walking distance to shopping and the ferry terminal where I was working. Staff was friendly and helpful. WIFI was weak although the hotel staff was trying to make it work. If the hotel reads this..a nice couch in the living room would add to the comfort of the guest. All in all I was well taken care of at this property.

Room Tip: End room was noisier for traffic
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed January 27, 2014

having read reviews before coming as a single woman checking in ,I wasn't sure this would work for me but as reviews were either very good or very bad. the good intrigued me and it was worth exploring...I am glad I did..
I stayed for a week for business. The Presidential Suite #302-2 was a spacious 1 bdrm suite with full size kitchenaid appliances, stacking laundry, plush robes, comfortable bed, good linens. The design is very modern, I personally loved that there were no carpets...tile floors were clean....how can anyone know how clean carpet is?
There is underground parking available...and and an elevator up from it to all of the floors so not sure what a previous poster was on about. The door locks worked just fine. The frosted glass entry doors took a little getting used to but no big deal.
The view was over the marina, which was entertaining, I watched a sailboat lifted out of the water and put back in...but I didn't hear a thing.
It was quiet except for one night when some guests checked into the room sharing the same vesitbule at 11pm and decided to keep their door open and the woman speaking at full volume for an hour to someone who I couldn't hear but sounded like they were reorganizing the furniture. I did ask her personally to keep it down...but don't think she knew how. So it was just an ignorant fellow guest. The test was advising the front desk...they did great and explained they had a 10pm quiet policy and would follow up in the mean time..I just closed the bedroom door to mute her out some more...the next night they were very quiet.
TV controls were no different than typical home controls. Wireless internet worked fine for me which I needed to complete work .Nice to relax with the fireplace on, some music and watching the action in the marina during 9 to 5 only. This was a home away from home.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business