“Seriously good dining on Vancouver Island”
Review of Hilltop Bistro

Hilltop Bistro
Ranked #8 of 320 Restaurants in Nanaimo
Cuisines: Contemporary
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Nelson street
“Seriously good dining on Vancouver Island”
Reviewed July 23, 2014 via mobile

Finally got to eat here after 2 years of a conflicting schedule. I wish I could have got there earlier. My gnocchi was pillowy soft well seasoned and balanced, the rabbit confit was a hit and the beans, chantrelles, peas and onions were cooked perfectly. I was late coming in so didn't have time for the prix fixe, I would definitely get it next time. The dessert was soft flavorful and balanced. The service was as high calibre as the food and atmosphere. An absolute must when visiting anywhere in a 100km radius, hands down the best meal I've had on the island and I didn't even get a the full prix fixe.

1 Thank Alex H

Gateshead
“Fabulous food”
Reviewed July 21, 2014

Great place to eat. Very tasty and beautifully cooked food. Enjoyed the local beer. Everything very thoughtfully prepared. Great service. A very enjoyable evening.

• Visited July 2014
1 Thank Ian G
Bury St Edmunds. Suffolk. England
“Best meal of the trip !!!”
Reviewed July 6, 2014

We were recommended this by our B&B owners and what a recommendation.
It's only small so booking is a must. We were made very welcome by waitress who was very attentive and explained everything.
The chef can be seen cooking and when he was ready for us our order was taken. The menu is small but great choices. I don't eat meat and was well catered for.
The food was fantastic, fresh, well presented and very tasty.
What was great for us was its " proper food", not a burger, chicken wings or nachos in sight.
If we lived closer I would make this a regular haunt.
You will not be disappointed .

• Visited July 2014
2 Thank YogaGirl10
Nanaimo
“A little Gem”
Reviewed July 4, 2014

A very special evening can be found in a quaint restaurant called the Hilltop Bistro, formerly a deli it seats 30 persons (My guess) and serves excellent cuisine. Working often in Vancouver, Victoria or overseas it is a comparable experience in Nanaimo. Order the 3 course meal! you won't be disappointed.

• Visited June 2014
Nanaimo
“Top notch food”
Reviewed June 30, 2014

I have dined here many times and have never been disappointed. Staff are very knowledgeable about the menu and the wines and always very friendly and attentive without being intrusive.
Chef is creative and uses the freshest local ingredients. Best restaurant for miles around.
As an aside, while I understand Tamara G's plight I have to side with the staff and the chef; these are thoughtful creations. She could try somewhere like Earl's or Subway if she wants to deconstruct the menu.

• Visited June 2014