“a new find, for me!” 4 of 5 bubbles

Gabriel's Gourmet Cafe
Ranked #6 of 321 Restaurants in Nanaimo
Cuisines: Cafe, Canadian, Soups, Fusion
Good for: Local cuisine, Dining on a budget, Families with children, Kids
Dining options: Brunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Takeout, Wheelchair Accessible
British Columbia, Canada
“a new find, for me!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2014

in town visiting family and we wandered along commercial st. to go for lunch. my brother-in-law had been here before, said they use local foods, so we slipped in for lunch. as soon as I walked in I knew I'd be happy. 1/2 the experience of a good meal for me is the atmosphere/decor. the tables tops are made from the old bowling alley lanes. burlap on the benches. plants. black and white photos. and very good food at very good prices!! I had the thai green coconut curry with prawns, my bro the butter chicken with chutney, both very good size bowls. my husband had the wild salmon burger and a bowl of soup. this place has moved to where they are now from just up the street and I'd never ventured in, my loss! i'll certainly be back! they offer breakfast as well. plus vegan and gluten free dishes. obviously a hit with the locals!

• Visited May 2014

Nanaimo, Canada
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“"Microwaved food"”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2014

I was downtown shopping and was starving so I stopped in here to grab a rice bowl. I was really thrown off by the place it seemed dirty to me but felt rude walking out. I ordered the rice bowl and the owner went to the fridge took out a plastic container and microwaved it. He then took a container scooped some rice in it from a rice cooker and plopped the microwaved meal on top. I was disgusted I don't even own a microwave. For a $12 rice bowl I would expect fresh food...Gross...I didn't even eat it

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank 81thomson
Victoria, Canada
“Amazing food at great prices”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2014

We discovered Gabriel's when were in Nanaimo last week and stopped by twice, it was so good. It's not often you find food that tastes fresh, clean and delicious and with the bonus twist of being so reasonably priced.

We had the green curry, the veggie burger, kale & beet salad and the chili. All were excellent. This is some of the best green curry I've had anywhere and you could have it with brown rice if you chose. All the menu items had unique little twists and were prepared like someone cared. We will definitely be back. I think we've found our new favourite place to stop in Nanaimo. I want to try the hot and sour soup and the quinoa and chick pea fritters

Lots of vegetarian options and also many gluten free things. And there's pulled pork and stuff like that to keep you meat eaters happy.

Great service and such a cute little space. Clean and modern.

• Visited March 2014
Vancouver Island, Canada
“lived up to what i expected!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2014

Had heard good things about this gourmet cafe, so when visiting in Nanaimo, we took my son there for his birthday lunch - and were glad we did! The service was very friendly (the place was really busy and this was about 1 pm), and the food was wonderful! Lots of gluten free and vegetarian options, as well as wonderful organic meat options. They shop as local as possible and their food was fresh - they even have some herbs growing in their restaurant. My partner, who is an excellent cook, and is quite "particular" about eating out, actually said it is the best restaurant meal he has ever had (and we eat out fairly often, and have traveled to other countries, so this is a significant comment!). Will definitely be going back!

• Visited March 2014
Nanaimo, Canada
“Delicious and Creative Food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2014

We came there for brunch on Sunday, and both had the Pulled Pork and Fried Egg on Pancakes with Spicy Sour Cream and Bourbon Maple Syrup. It sounds like a strange combo, but it was absolutely delicious. The flavours all went together so well. The presentation was beautiful, service was quick & friendly, and prices are reasonable . The atmosphere is very original and west coast. We will be back regularly!

• Visited February 2014