“Great food, wide variety of beers”

Original Joe's Restaurant & Bar
Ranked #60 of 320 Restaurants in Nanaimo
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Vancouver, British Columbia
“Great food, wide variety of beers”
Reviewed July 15, 2013

This is a new and nicely decorated restaurant located adjacent to a shopping mall on a busy commercial strip on the north side of Nanaimo. It looks new but not especially appealing from the outside but has a nice ambience inside (great air conditioning a plus on a hot July day, dark browns and black features). I counted 15 separate beer taps and the pale ale I had was cold and tasty. They took a large group of us and sat us together and did not seem displeased with our mingling among tables. The food was quite varied. The fellow next to me had a burger he fell in love with. It had some unique side orders that went with it. My halibut and chips was great with a spicy dill dipping sauce that was surprisingly good with chips. A spinach salad was also enjoyed at the table as was a teriyaki chicken bowl. So, overall, a welcoming cool atmosphere with good service, reasonable prices, great food across a variety of genre's, and a wide selection of beers.

• Visited July 2013

naniamo
“Now thats a burger”
Reviewed July 13, 2013

Pleasantly surprised with the ambiance of the restaurant. It is quiet and more important the air conditioning makes it really comfortable. Had the original burger and it comes with two sides - a nice feature. The burger is thick and very flavorful and comes on a very unique bun. Unlike some other burgers in other restaurants the bun did not get soggy with grease - it was really good to eat and enjoy. I would certainly consider this to be one of my more favorite restaurants in town when I want to enjoy a good burger.

• Visited July 2013
Pitt Meadows, British Columbia, Canada
“Just what I expect from a chain...reliable, good value”
Reviewed July 9, 2013

I was relieved that Original Joe's would take our large group when most of Nanaimo was fully booked. While I typically prefer non-chain but good restaurants, this one did not disappoint. The fish tacos were delicious. I always love bruschetta, so it was a win. The steak was also done perfectly, which is often a challenge for our family, as we like our stuff quite rare and that's hard to time with a large group.

Visited May 2013
Victoria, Canada
“Poor service and average food”
Reviewed July 2, 2013

Took 15 minutes to take our order and another 20 to 30 to serve it. Food at best was average and overpriced for the quality. Seems like this place is trendy for now but not for long.

• Visited June 2013
Fenelon Falls, Ontario, Canada
“not so saucy”
Reviewed June 21, 2013

went with the family on vacation looking for a good place to eat...
The waitress took awhile to add the extra chair for one more, I had to ask her twice she kept dealing with other customers. There were not any high chairs ... waitress said it was a bar but outside it didn't say Bar or I wouldn't have brought my children inside UGhhhhhh!!! we all ordered and The rib sauce was brown sugar and water not so great . I had fish and fries the tarter sauce was horrible some how I ended up with a dill sauce as well??? not sure how that happened the tarter sauce didn't have a taste of relish to it , Was like a sour cream with raddish very wrong. !!! and I have no idea how I ended up with a dill sauce that was just dill and mayo??? they need Chef Ramsey

• Visited June 2013