“Rotten salad, full charge”

Original Joe's Restaurant & Bar
Ranked #59 of 323 Restaurants in Nanaimo
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed October 30, 2012

I have eaten many versions of Cobb salads. Some were outstanding, others just ok. I never had one that was inedible. At a time when people are increasingly aware of freshness, green and healthy eating, it is shocking to be treated this way. I'm a paying customer. Over-paying, in fact. I was charged full price after leaving most of it and telling the server. She handed me a lame second-hand apology from the kitchen, and the bill. She could have seen the mess herself. Certainly, the chef should never have given it to her (or me). Sitting on top of a thin bed of brown and partly slimy lettuce was a pile of old-looking chicken and some blackened avocado. I don't mean 'blackened' as in Cajun, and I don't mean avocado skin. The lovely green slices were thickly coated with black, and tasted like mold.

There are newer reviews for Original Joe's Restaurant & Bar

Reviewed September 15, 2012

Been there 3 times now and we intend to keep going back! Yes, the music is loud, the energy is very high, so if you are looking for a quiet, romantic spot - don't stop here. But if you want excellent food, fresh and unique, and enthusiastic service, don't pass by this "gem".
You get great value for your entertainment dollars. We've eaten along side families with children of all ages, and groups of all ages up to a senior couple who told us they were in their 90's.
The special "dill dipping sauce" for the french fries is to die for! Haven't ordered anything we didn't love.

Reviewed September 10, 2012

First time at this restaurant, there was no childrens menu, but the server did tell us what the choices were. Overall the food was fantastic, at a very high standard! but i dont think i would return as the music is so loud, that you have to kind of shout to talk to the person you are with. I know its a younger scene, but im only in my 20's and thats just too loud! i left with a headache. If the music was lower, then i would definatley return as the food was excellent! But otherwise, i wouldnt due to how loud it was.

1  Thank rugratisme
Reviewed August 30, 2012

First time at this restaurant which is new to the Nanaimo Area.
Good location. Plenty of parking.
Staff are excellent and the menu varied.
My husband and I found the Spinach Salad to be an excellent quality and good portion size. Appetizers: same.
Bar staff are excellent. Friendly and attentive. Plenty of great beers on tap and I tried my FIRST "Mexican Bulldog". Ya gotta try it. Huge marguerita with an upside down bottle of Corona in it.
Well worth a vist folks.

Reviewed August 8, 2012

I am not a big chain fan but prefer smaller one of kind places to eat so i was pleasantly surprised by the quality of food and the service. We were with a large group approx. 25 and though we went early they accomodated us and were served as quickly as if we were a smaller group. Our server was knowledgable and the food was really good! I had the gyoza appetizer and the fish tacos for dinner. The prices were as expected and on par with other similar type restaurants. Most people in our group were happy with their food which included burgers and ribs.
I liked the atmosphere for large groups. It is not where one would go for intimate dinner. as it is lively and has t.v.s around the place. It had a nice bar where you could eat if you are on your own. Lots of parking.