“A rare treat!”

Dining options: Reservations
Vancouver Island, Canada
“A rare treat!”
Reviewed December 22, 2012

If you are the kind of diner who loves the usual ribs & burgers served in the majority of restaurants in Nanaimo, then forget this place.
This restaurant offers a more refined setting and ambience, perfect for a more intimate celebration.
The staff are friendly and extremely knowledgeable about the menu and the food is second to none. The chef will adapt anything on the menu to your specific requirements.
We have visited the restaurant twice and on both occassions, the chef/owner, visited each table to ensure everything was ok.
We would highly recommend this restaurant to anybody and will definitely return.

• Visited December 2012

nanaimo
“Nanaimo finally has a wonderful Italian Restaurant”
Reviewed December 11, 2012

The chef of the new La Famiglia restaurant, used to own another restaurant years ago in Nanaimo (Maffeo's) It was my husband and my favourite place to go. We were excited when we heard he was back and opened his new restaurant. Two weeks ago we finally had a chance to go for dinner. Wow! I am confident it will now be our place to go. The waitresses were friendly and efficient and Dino, the chef came out and spoke with us. The food was fabulous. My grand-daughter and I shared a pasta dish which was creamy and delicious and my husband loved his lasagna. Generous portions, superb italian flavour. We also shared a tirimisu(?) which I had to fight with my dining companions to get my fair share. A really great evening. We are already planning on returning this weekend.

• Visited December 2012
Anonymous
“La Famiglia, The Italian Restaurant Nanaimo Has Been Waiting For?”
Reviewed September 28, 2012

Nanaimo has not been kind to restaurants labelled Italian, with a number of closures over the past year or two. La Famiglia, open only a few months, has taken over the space once occupied by The Wesley Street Cafe.

The space is structurally the same, with redecoration in a rich dark decor better suited to candle lit night time dining. We visited at Friday lunch, almost missing the fact that it was open, as little lighting was evident from the street. Despite the day of the week, and the business of other nearby restaurants, we were the only patrons here, perhaps because of the absence of advertising, and the ease with which one could conclude it was not open.

We were greeted warmly by a skilled server. The lunch menu is not extensive, but has offerings in many areas of the evening menu at attractive prices, and a special. The lunch wine list is limited but contains some good offerings at attractive prices.

We opted for the special, a risotto with shrimp, and a chicken mushroom penne pasta, favorably reviewed by others. Hot bread with the ubiquitous olive oil and basalmic vinegar was very good, as was the house salad with mixed greens, capers, sun dried tomatoes and onions.

The entrees were both outstanding. The penne was perfectly cooked and sauced with real cream and butter sauteed chicken and mushrooms. Very robust and satisfying. The risotto was the best we have ever tasted - rich and finely crafted. Some perfectly grilled prawns decorated the top.

Helpings on both were generous, but did not survive our stimulated appetite.

The chef briefly made an appearance in the room - very distinguished middle age, and very Italian.

As we were the only patrons, it's perhaps not surprising we had superlative service. Hopefully this is maintained now in busier times, unlike that noted by an earlier reviewer.

We are quite experienced with Italian food, and based on our lunch visit, would strongly recommend this new try at providing Nanaimo diners with the Italian experience they deserve.

• Visited September 2012
London
“I don't understand”
Reviewed August 24, 2012

This restaurant has either serious identity problems or someone is being economical with the truth. I too have recently visited this restaurant and found both the service and quality to be far below what one would normally accept. I ordered seafood pasta and can only assume that the only seafood to be found in the seas around Nanaimo are clams and there must be a shortage of these as well. My wife asked if the salmon used in the salmon dish was of the wild variety and the reply was ‘I don’t really know’. Despite the fact that there were only 6/8 people in the restaurant I could not understand why the service was so slow and would hate to imagine the scene were there to be a full-house. All in all not an experience I would like to repeat.

• Visited August 2012
Nanaimo, Canada
“Delicious Italian cuisine”
Reviewed August 17, 2012

In the past week I have had the opportunity to go for lunch and dinner at La Famiglia. The gnocchi is the best I have ever had. Like little tastes of heaven. The sambuca prawns are lovely. We have also tried the spaghetti with meat balls and lemon veal. Each was an excellent dish. We loved Dino's warmth. A great restaurant and now on the top of our Nanaimo list of places to eat at.

• Visited August 2012