“I have experienced the difference of the Grand Hotel Nanaimo” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Grand Hotel Nanaimo

The Grand Hotel Nanaimo
Ranked #10 of 19 Hotels in Nanaimo
A TripAdvisor Member
“I have experienced the difference of the Grand Hotel Nanaimo”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 16, 2004

The slogan on the Grand Hotel Nanaimo's website is come experience the difference. I have, and I must say I would rather stay in a cheap motel, I at least don't have to clean the bathrooms.
To the point, I checked into the Grand Hotel Nanaimo on Oct 9 planning to stay in the maple suite, their most expensive suite, until the 12th I needed to look at both commercial and private property in the area, if I was to plan to move my business to nanaimo, this city being one of three choices.

upon check in I noted that the bathroom was a mess, let the front desk clerk know about it and went to dinner expecting it to be cleaned, it was not. I spoke to the evening clerk, whom apologized and gave me cleaning supplies to clean the tub myself, then noted that the bedding was filthy called the front desk and was told that any other concerns I may have would need to be dealt with in the morning and if I wanted to come down to the front desk I could pick up clean bedding otherwise I would have to sleep in someone else's filth. I of course changed the linen. Killed the bugs I found crawling across the bathroom floor, and went to sleep.
In the morning I spoke to the front desk manager, Dana, also apparently the owners daughter, she smirked at my complaints and when I explained that I was checking out and she should not bill my credit card, she full out laughed at me and charged my credit card. I can not decline this charge as it was pre authorized, and I have no standing whatsoever to make any changes but I can make sure that I tell everyone I know.

18 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2004

My family and I stayed at the Grand (now there's a misnomer if ever I heard one) in May 2004. The hotel itself is nice, new, clean etc but the catering is apalling. Breakfast is served, even cereal and you have to wait FOREVER. I ordered a cooked breakfast and had to wait 25 minutes for it. One of my family when asked requested eggs done over easy. They came back like rubber so he sent them back, they came back again like rubber so he sent them back again and they came back again like rubber. He left at that point. The night before we made the mistake of having dinner there. I'm vegetarian and was presented with a load of bland vegetable as a main meal. I wanted to complain but was told there was no manager on. After the disastrous breakfast we tried to complain but there no manager on duty. The most senior person on duty was a timid youth on reception who got one of the managers on the phone. I told them I was disappointed about the catering and all they could do was offer me a discount on another meal - not likely. Thankfully we were only staying one night. The room rate included breakfast (not dinner) and they would not budge on any kind of refund. They offered some orange juice and fruit for a journey - too little too late.

I was staggered at the institutional indifference of the place. I will forgive niggles in a hotel if I feel they care about the customers. It is clear that the Grand are only after a fast buck. This is not just my opinion - you can ask the other folks who waited half an hour for their breakfast too! It put a damper on our holiday.

14 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Travelers are raving about these Nanaimo hotels

2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2003

I visited The Grande Hotel in Nanaimo over Remembrance Day weekend, 2003. We were visiting family in Nanaimo. Our party included 4 adults and an infant.

When we first checked in we were told that even though we reserved a crib for our baby (over 2 months prior) they didn't have one for us anymore because another guest decided to stay an extra night and they needed. (very unprofessional if you ask me). When I had originally made the reservation I was told that if a crib were unavailable I could get a playpen, so I asked the front desk clerk for a playpen and she told me I could only get a roll away cot. (for a 16 month old, please).

I then asked if our room was the one we had reserved (an executive suite which is a studio room that has a separate office where the playpen could go and the door could shut). The front desk clerk told us we would be very pleased with our room. We got to our room and there was no office and the room smelled like smoke.

So my husband & I went back to the front desk and politely told them there must be a mistake. The manager came out and she informed us that we could have the room we booked and they had a playpen for us. I guess the front desk clerk didn't know they had playpens.

We received a quick apology and nothing else.

We tried to order room service but the restaurant wasn't open at 6pm.
We tried to buy bottled water from the pop machine and after trying every floor with no luck, the front desk clerk sent us over to the fitness room water machine which was also empty...she later informed us that she could get us a bottle from the bar fridge.

The rest of the weekend included a broken bathroom door, hot room then a cold room, the water was yellow and tasted aweful (community well I think). And when we received our final bill at check out time, it included our initial room rate, plus a fee for each adult, plus $15 for a crappy playpen, and there were room taxes added on that we didn't know about, plus GST and PST.

I would recommend you stay at the Ramada on Long Lake which is just down the street from the Grand Hotel....it looks nice on the outside but the service sucks.

21 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2003

We had never been to Vancouver Island and were astonished at its size! We decided to spend a weekend centrally located. What a gem did we discover at the Grand Hotel Nanaimo! From the moment we walked in the hotel until we departed we felt truly pampered. The rooms are beautifully appointed and very spacious. We had an amazing dinner in the restaurant...loved the pasta and the mouth watering rack of lamb. It was truly a memorable experience. We loved using the indoor pool--it kept off some of the pounds we had put on indulging in the restaurant. We will definitely recommend this hotel over and over again!

4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2003

We recently spent two wonderful nights at the Grand Hotel in Nanaimo; comfortable and very clean accomodations, spacious room with a balcony and a lovely view. Staff was extremely courteous and helpful and went out of their way to make our stay memorable. Highly recommend!

2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2003

The Grand Hotel hosted some of the delegates for the recent Canadian Chef Educators Association. Chef teachers from across Canada were in attendance. The service recieved at the Grand was indeed grand. All staff members made us welcome. They were friendly and helpful at all levels. The house keeper met me in the elevator and asked for assurance that everything was ok in my room! The night porter met me by the elevator door with one of my extra requirements. The hotel is a bright and cheerful place and the rooms spacious. The food service and front end people were all very welcoming. The hotel provided our conference with reasonable rates and overall made our conference and stay on Vancouver Island a memorable one. Thanks for a job well done.

5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2002

I came to Nanaimo to get away from Vancouver for a few days and just relax and I had a marvelous time. This hotel is beautiful and has the friendliest and most helpful staff that this frequent travellor has ever met.

They truly looked after me and provided a wonderful experience for my wife and myself. I look forward to making further trips to Vancouver Island and staying at this fantastic hotel. By the way, the rack of lamb served at their restaurant is delicious!!

2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member