“What a great stay @ The Grand”

The Grand Hotel Nanaimo
Ranked #12 of 18 Hotels in Nanaimo
Reviewed January 23, 2013

Our family decided to stay at this lovely Boutique Hotel while visiting friends in the area. We felt very welcome the minute we walked in. The Front desk staff was helpful and friendly. All our wishes were fullfilled at our arrival at the Grand. The rooms are spectacular, very big, clean and comfortable with gas firleplace and jetted tub. After a nice refreshing dip in the pool my husband wanted to try the Whisky bar with over 120 different kinds of whiskies! Even I as a non Whisky drinker could not resist to pass a "Flight". (The exeptionally well knowledged waitress, put toghether 3 different kinds with 1/2 oz each). We learend a lot about Whiskies that evening. We did decide to invite our friends that night for Dinner at the Grand Cru Restaurant and let me tell you, "what a Chef"! From the delicious crab cakes to the Halibut or Seafood linguini, everything was lovely & very tasty. A BIG thank you to your staff! We will definitely return to The Grand Hotel and recommend staying here for business or just for fun!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for The Grand Hotel Nanaimo

Reviewed January 21, 2013

I was travelling through Nanaimo recently while visiting family after a business trip, and had the opportunity to try out The Grand Hotel. I've driven past it before, but never had enough time to stay overnight. On this trip, I had my travel companion (my pup!) with me, and was SO happy to see that The Grand allows pets. We stayed in a truly spacious room on the main level, with a view of their garden in the back. My pup was provided with treats in the room when we arrived and I enjoyed a relaxing nightcap in their beautiful lounge. In the morning, after a short stroll through the garden and surrounding area (Nanaimo is so cute!), I had a wonderful breakfast and checked out. I'd definitely stay at The Grand on my next visit, and recommend it to anyone looking for a truly exquisite hotel. (Thanks to the hotel for the beautiful earrings I bought in your Pink Lollipop gift shop. My friends are jealous!)

Room Tip: I stayed on the back side of the hotel, and loved it since I faced the garden and didn't have to...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed January 20, 2013

We were excited to check out this hotel because we thought we were in "for a treat".
Thinking it would be a nice fancy place, but it wasn't. The room was very dated, we tried to log into our laptop and iPad with no luck, so I called downstairs only to be told that you could only sign in with one per room, after telling her that that was the most ridiculous I had ever heard, she merely said "log off then the other can log on, or pay 6". It was a disappointment to say the least, nothing "grand" about this hotel. We will not be returning, or recommending to anyone. There are plenty of other cheaper options with other hotels that offer everything we want.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank CanadaDreamcatcher
Reviewed January 19, 2013

Came to try out a few whiskies at their whisky bar with my wife and we were so relaxed that we decided to make a night of it. The staff were really nice and it was during the holidays and we were not really rushed to be in the shopping frenzy. We had a quiet comfortable room with a gas fireplace, ordered some light appies. They gave us the late check out and had their tea service. We felt like we were a bit indulgent, but why not!?

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Eisus I
Reviewed January 19, 2013

I recomend this hotel to anyone traveling through Nanaimo on business, I is situated next to the mall, close to a movie theater, very safe, very freindly, I was alone on business and didnt feel uncomfortable as a woman traveling alone, everyone was very nice.
Good restaurant over the road Montannas, best Chipolte Burger i have ever had in my life,
bus service opposite hotel if you want to give driving a rest, takes you all over the city, down to the harbour.

Room Tip: The Hotel is located next to a shopping mall, so it is really nice if you can be at the back of the...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Shipmates
Reviewed January 13, 2013

Over the past several months I have had the pleasure of enjoying 2 brunches, one lunch and one dinner at the The Grand Hotel. All of the meals have been excellent and the service impeccable. The staff are very knowledgeable and friendly. My first brunch took place on a warm Summer day, so we sat on the patio surrounded by lovely gardens and native birds. I felt like I was in paradise. The food was great and served hot and promptly. My second experience was dinner in the dining room. When we had dinner our server recommended a white wine that we enjoyed so much we ordered a second bottle. All of our dinners were hot and delicious, and the desserts to die for! My last two experiences at The Grand were a brunch and a lunch. Both times we were seated by the fireplace which gave a lovely cozy feel to the room. Our food was presented beautifully and we all enjoyed the gorgeous Christmas decorations throughout the hotel The staff had gone out of their way to make the hotel sparkle and look festive. I would not hesitate to recommend friends to dine at The Grand Hotel or to hold a function such as a wedding in the Crystal Room. .

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 8, 2013 via mobile

I'm getting married in the summer and I'm having so much fun with the team of staff thank you all :) .. Everyone sooo needs to cheek it out. And stay there on my ... Are big day There is even a candy table that you can get and a carving stashed and an omelette stashed ... For the rite price but fun to think about and of course we get to make are first tots as marred copal :) with a sabre bottle of I don't know yet but it will be soooo cool

• Stayed: January 2013