“Grand Time!”

Ranked #12 of 18 Hotels in Nanaimo
Vancouver, Canada
“Grand Time!”
Reviewed January 19, 2013

Came to try out a few whiskies at their whisky bar with my wife and we were so relaxed that we decided to make a night of it. The staff were really nice and it was during the holidays and we were not really rushed to be in the shopping frenzy. We had a quiet comfortable room with a gas fireplace, ordered some light appies. They gave us the late check out and had their tea service. We felt like we were a bit indulgent, but why not!?

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Eisus I

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Vancouver Island
Reviewed January 19, 2013

I recomend this hotel to anyone traveling through Nanaimo on business, I is situated next to the mall, close to a movie theater, very safe, very freindly, I was alone on business and didnt feel uncomfortable as a woman traveling alone, everyone was very nice.
Good restaurant over the road Montannas, best Chipolte Burger i have ever had in my life,
bus service opposite hotel if you want to give driving a rest, takes you all over the city, down to the harbour.

Room Tip: The Hotel is located next to a shopping mall, so it is really nice if you can be at the back of the...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Shipmates
Nanaimo, Canada
Reviewed January 13, 2013

Over the past several months I have had the pleasure of enjoying 2 brunches, one lunch and one dinner at the The Grand Hotel. All of the meals have been excellent and the service impeccable. The staff are very knowledgeable and friendly. My first brunch took place on a warm Summer day, so we sat on the patio surrounded by lovely gardens and native birds. I felt like I was in paradise. The food was great and served hot and promptly. My second experience was dinner in the dining room. When we had dinner our server recommended a white wine that we enjoyed so much we ordered a second bottle. All of our dinners were hot and delicious, and the desserts to die for! My last two experiences at The Grand were a brunch and a lunch. Both times we were seated by the fireplace which gave a lovely cozy feel to the room. Our food was presented beautifully and we all enjoyed the gorgeous Christmas decorations throughout the hotel The staff had gone out of their way to make the hotel sparkle and look festive. I would not hesitate to recommend friends to dine at The Grand Hotel or to hold a function such as a wedding in the Crystal Room. .

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 8, 2013 via mobile

I'm getting married in the summer and I'm having so much fun with the team of staff thank you all :) .. Everyone sooo needs to cheek it out. And stay there on my ... Are big day There is even a candy table that you can get and a carving stashed and an omelette stashed ... For the rite price but fun to think about and of course we get to make are first tots as marred copal :) with a sabre bottle of I don't know yet but it will be soooo cool

• Stayed January 2013
Nanaimo
Reviewed January 3, 2013

I've gone there two times as I'm new in town & thought it looked pretty from the photos. Went for afternoon tea & both times was disappointed (had only gone the second time, as someone else wanted to try it & I thought maybe they had a bad day the first time). Although the tea was fine (which is pretty much impossible to mess up), the finger sandwiches & snacks that came with it on a three tiered tray, were not. Dry, dry, dry & the chicken salad sandwich had gone bad. I've heard nothing but terrible things about this hotel & management since then as the subject has come up amongst friends. On a special occasion when someone had a reception there, I was told the wedding party wanted to bring home a container of food leftover. They were told they couldn't take it even though they paid for it (an arm & a leg, I might add) as the hotel wanted to give it to charity. I'm convinced I was about to eat a finger sandwich from their "charity" when I went there. It seemed like the food was old & should have been thrown out. The server was okay, but we were the only ones in this place on both occasions so they didn't have to do much. I would say more about my friends horrific experience with the management & servers at the wedding but I won't. Too many things to mention & not enough room here. After what she told me though, I vowed to myself I would never go back. Not saying they are, but I really wonder: Are they serving leftovers from weddings & other occasions??? I value my health too much to find out.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank Queddie E

Travelers are raving about these Nanaimo hotels

Victoria, Canada
Reviewed December 30, 2012

This hotel was chosen as an opportunity for our group of families to stay together in Nanaimo and have access to a pool and still be central enough to the activities that had brought us to the city.
The rooms at first glance were reasonable, good size rooms with a fireplace, fridge and jetted tub. On closer inspection the walls were covered with coffee and other stains. The coffee maker had not been cleaned and there was still liquid in it from the previous occupants. The bathroom was not clean. The jetted tub did not work.
The pool..., I will say that it was probably fortunate for the health of my kids that it was shut down, although it was one of the primary reasons why we stayed there. One positive was the manager gave us a $10 credit for the inconvenience of the pool being out of commission.
One of the more absurd exchanges was when a group of us went down to the bar on Saturday evening. We were informed that the bar would be closing at 9:30 - it is slow after Christmas, we were told - and regardless of the amount of business we would generate they would not keep it open.
Breakfast was not available for the families as the restaurant on the weekend was not open until 7:30.
I am in a hotel at least 150 nights a year, this was one of the most disappointing places I have had to stay at.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank Perciva
Victoria, Canada
Reviewed December 29, 2012

We stayed here for one night with a hockey team of 8 year olds. The hotel itself is nice enough, was nicely decorated for Christmas and the service at the front reception was friendly-ish. The room was adequate and clean. The team went downstairs for a swim and we were disgusted by the pool. The ceiling and walls are FULL of black mold and there were some odd "sea weed" type growths on the corners of the floors. There is a de-humidifier in the room but it in itself is a safety hazard as it's on wheels and plugs in to the wall. Children could have tripped over the cord and easily knocked the machine into the water while still plugged in. The temperature of the water is quite cool. We complained to the front desk and the receptionist was clearly embarrassed and noted that they don't have many people come to swim. My husband let them know that that's no reason to have it moldy and knowing they were having several hockey teams stay may have prompted them to have it presentable. They reduced our room rate which was appreciated but really this is a health concern.

I wouldn't go back - I am sure there are other better places in Nanaimo.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family