“Bad service”

The Grand Hotel Nanaimo
Ranked #12 of 18 Hotels in Nanaimo
Reviewed July 14, 2012

Just plain bad service nice hotel but not a clue how to run it

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank fessiambre

Reviewed July 6, 2012

Great hotel with great guest services. The rooms are nice with modern furniture, the restaurant and lounge is lovely and the garden patio is beautiful. A good value for the price and a great experience.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed June 18, 2012

I'm actually staying here right now on a business trip and only choose this place because of proximity to the visiting office. I knew I was in trouble when I called last week to book my one night stay and the person answering the phone was not trained to book my room! I'm never called a hotel reservation line before to be told the the reservations clerk is the only person who could book the room! I asked if it would be easier for me to book online and was told, that "No, it would not be easier than doing on the phone but unfortunately the reservations person would need to call me back". I did get a call back and I booked the room and I inquired about WIFI and was told that would be an extra $6 per night. Who charges for WIFI anymore??? The hotel is dated and depressing. I think my room has newer furniture but they are going for an inexpensive new furniture look. My box spring has no skirt or covers, just exposed box spring. No exactly classy. This is a Monday night and I was told that the restaurant does not operate on Monday nights! Thank goodness there is a MacDonalds across the street. Everything just feels a bit sad and dreary here - something out of a made for TV movie.

Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
4  Thank Peanut-Chopper
Reviewed June 15, 2012

Overall, the hotel is quite modern. The restaurant food was hot and pleasent to the palate .. service was a little on the slow side but being such a fancy hotel I wouldn't expect speedy service.

My only disappointment was the temperature of the pool. The brochure in the lobby stated heated pool and there is signage around the pool stating that the pool temperature is keep to a pleasant temperature of 26 degrees Celsius / 81 degrees Fahrenheit but I didn't find this the case. I even went to the front desk to complain only to be told maintenance would take a look at it. I dropped by the pool in the morning to only find the temperature was still ice cold.

Probably the only time the pool is at the proper temperature is when the queen visits. So sad for the rest us.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank KnR80
Reviewed June 15, 2012 via mobile

Rooms are in need of repair and upkeep. Service was lacking.

2  Thank mellissawood
Reviewed June 10, 2012

First impressions are everything and the first thing i noticed was the 10 year old tv that you see at garage sale for a few bucks. Cheep outdated furniture and a broken but still usable plastic coffee maker. Really loud pipes when you have shower that eventually grate on me so much i can't take it. Two towels for two people so had to re-use a wet towel. Not abig deal at home but at 140 a night it is. Despite the just average overpriced room my wife and I had a fun eveningand decided to order room service. We ordered a couple of appys and although it was crazy over priced ..34dollars. We enjoyed the food...

2  Thank redurchin
Reviewed June 5, 2012

Worst value for dollar in nanaimo. Gouging charge for wifi for each device. Pool water freezing. Deluxe room was anything but!

3  Thank Rubyred1967