“We are regulars.” 4 of 5 bubbles

Cuisines: Mexican, Latin, Spanish
Good for: Dining on a budget, Families with children
“We are regulars.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 20, 2013 via mobile

The family and I enjoy this restaurant quite regularly. We find the food tasty, hot and quick! The flavors and menu is very authentic. The service is also always friendly and efficient and the kids menu is simple and always a hit with our kids. A nice addition the neighborhood!

• Visited April 2013
1 Thank tyrerubber

Nanaimo, Canada
“I AM 1/2 MEXICAN AND LOVE THIS PLACE!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2013

Wonderful salsas, authentic TAMALES! and some real Mexican tacos like "Tacos Pastor" are reasons I will go back. It's not their fault that they are so popular/busy! Those who don't like this restaurant say think they want authentic Mexican food, but they really want North American style food where the food is as spicey as the bowl of salsa. People, most of the spices in Mexico are in the salsas. You get to choose how much heat you want! I like it this way! don't try to remake them into a Norte restaurant!!! They are great now!

• Visited March 2013
3 Thank AnnaL921
Nanaimo, Canada
“Very good food, excellent value, cold and unfelt service”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 23, 2013

First time dining at Baby Salsa, I was VERY excited to try the fish tacos. Unfortunately, they were sold out... I did my best to turn a negative into a positive: "they must be really good then!" I thought. My friend and I decided to each order burrito split them... I ordered the Del Mar (Garlic sauted Prawns, rice, guacamole, green onions, lettuce & chipotle mayo) and she ordered the *new* Holey Mole (Garlic sauted Prawns, rice, guacamole, green onions, lettuce & chipotle mayo). While we were waiting we were brought chips and salsa and it acted as an excellent appetizer, compliments of the house... in that, it was enough to do exactly that but, not so big that it left you too full before the actual meal.
Our burritos arrived and we switched halves right away and both decided to start with the same half: the del mar. This bad boy was an excellent blend of tastes... The tortilla was was toasted so it had a light crunch and the flavors blended together very well.
Alright! Now for the Holey Mole... It was excellent! Kind of tasted the same... and it had shrimp and not chicken... WAIT this is also the Del Mar! Our server wrote down two orders of the Del Mar despite notifying her that we were planning on splitting our burritos hmmmmm... We decided to not say anything as we were pretty happy with the taste but it was a bit of a slip up which contributed to the overall score I've delivered.

I've taken a lot to say very little thus far so, I'm gonna break it down like this and then lead a little bit at the end for constructive criticism.

-The burrito we got to try was excellent! It even LOOKED excellent, great presentation, fresh ingredients... I'm no Mexican cuisine connoisseur but I am of the impression that the food is very good.

-the burritos are all prices around $10 and this is excellent value, important for the student like myself. Both my friend and I remarked that it was very good food and excellent value.

-Decor was nice, restaurant was busy (a good sign in the food economy of Nanaimo which, seems to be economically depressing these days).

Was there a catch? Well, the service was... kind of cold... Which messed with my mind because I felt like I was biting into "love" but being served by something far off from any remote hospitality.

My friend and I sat at the bar and like I said before, the restaurant was busy but, the server/bartender was not very hospitable. I acknowledge it was busy and I too have been in this situation but one or two words here and there would've made a world of difference... It was one of those situations where as soon as the server knew what they needed to know, they were gone... which is strange because we were seated right up at the bar... Like I said, I acknowledge it was busy and server was by no means "bad"... Although our order was taken incorrectly... I will of course go back to Baby Salsa... If this employee is working, I may tell them about how our last visit could've been better.

• Visited March 2013
“Hit and miss”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 9, 2013

I have eaten here before and it was very good but this time was not. From the stale complementary nachos to the paper found in the salsa it wasn't good. Then my meal arrived and a beard hair in my food from the cook with uncovered bear was more then I could take. The rice was over cooked as well. I'm so disappointed in my evening. I will think twice about a return visit. Such a shame

Vancouver Island, Canada
“have been twice, won't go back”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

wasn't impressed the first time, but thought we'd give it a second chance - even worse the 2nd time. over priced and small portions. ``felt`` the stress of the staff when it got busy. won`t go back.

• Visited November 2012