“Beautiful setting, tasty gourmet food, reasonable prices”
Review of Bistro at Westwood Lake - CLOSED

Bistro at Westwood Lake
Good for: Scenic view, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed September 5, 2013

The setting: quiet, country setting with views of the lake. We sat outside and enjoyed the evening watching a goose on the grass.
The food: beautiful presentation, but the menu is somewhat limited (about 6 entree options). The food was good.
Pricing: for me, this was probably the best part - they have a set menu to choose from at a great price. I think it was lass than $30 for three courses.
I would go again, but make sure you have GPS or a solid knowledge of where you are going as it might be a little hard to find and it a short distance from town.

Reviewed September 3, 2013

We finally made our way to this hidden oasis and were amazed that we hadn't visited long before.
The setting along beautiful Westwood Lake, hidden amongst the trees, was the perfect backdrop for what was an excellent dining experience. Owner Gaetan, his executive chef and staff, provided an innovative menu, premium quality and friendly, knowledgable service.
It's well worth the 10 minute drive from downtown Nanaimo. If you like fine food in a relaxed setting, you will not be disappointed.
Already planning to return.
Alan Keller

Reviewed September 3, 2013

Firstly, I apologist for the title but it is fitting for such a good meal. This was the comment my female friend spontaneously blurted when she tried the creme brulee.

Secondly my review is a little late due to a busy schedule, I'll make amends now. Our visit was on Sunday 21st July.

I visited this establishment with 2 close friends who live in Chemainus. It was a special treat for them as a thank you for our visit from England. I have Trip Advisor to thank for guiding me here.

The restaurant is on a quiet street and is a tennis club. Don't let this put you off, the setting is delightful with dining on the patio overlooking Westwood Lake. When the weather is inclement the dining room is a nice setting too.

There is a very good wine list and a good choice of beers. The "girls" enjoyed their cocktails too.

Entrees were of a high standard, I had the Moules marinere with a twist, the addition of chinese vegetables and curry powder, simply excellent with home made bread, my friend had the same and was equally impressed. Our partners were left wanting more of their own dishes.

The mains were excellent too, 2 steak dishes and 2 duck dishes, the duck was even better than the ones we had in Hudson's in Duncan a few nights earlier!

Then came the highlight, the creme brulee. I have traveled in France extensively having spent more than 6 months of my life there. This creme brulee was as good as anything I've had anywhere! Perfectly baked, sublimely smooth, with just the right amount of fresh vanilla. Upon taking the first taste this is when my friend came out with the above phrase, we laughed and laughed as it was a genuine, off the cuff, remark.

The best meal we had in our 3 weeks on the island and certainly up there with the finest meals I have eaten this year. Well done!!

I must mention the attentive staff, excellent, unobtrusive, polite and knowledgeable, a real credit to the restaurant.

I will be returning as soon as I can afford the air fare back to Nanaimo

Reviewed August 23, 2013

We were visiting Vancouver for the first time on the August long weekend. As my husband and I drove into Nanaimo I quickly checked on Tripadvisor for a recommended restaurant; so happy that we chose this one. Bistro at Westwood Lake is located in a residential area on the shores of a man made lake. Beautiful setting! We were quickly seated on the patio overlooking the lawn and lake. Our server was very friendly and service was excellent. The lunch menu is not extensive- salads, sandwiches but the food is delicious and very well priced. Sandwiches, which come with a very good salad, were about eleven to twelve dollars. We did not have dessert as at eight dollars per dessert we found that to be a bit pricey. The inside of the restaurant is beautiful as well. There is a walking path along the lake that one can take from the restaurant which leads to a busy beach. Nice end to a lovely lunch.

Reviewed August 21, 2013

A breath of fresh air for Nanaimo's food/service industry. We were accommodated without reservations to a perfect table for two outside on the water front. Excellent food and service. Thank you for the best dining experience since we have moved to Nanaimo. We will be back and will recommend the restaurant to family and friends.