“Lake-view Restaurant with Character”
Review of Bistro at Westwood Lake - CLOSED

Bistro at Westwood Lake
Good for: Local cuisine, Scenic view
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Lantzville, BC, Canada
“Lake-view Restaurant with Character”
Reviewed August 12, 2013

My wife and I had the pleasure of dining at this lovely restaurant in the sunshine on an outside patio overlooking a quiet lake. Although located in the city of Nanaimo, BC one feels that you are completely out in the quiet countryside. The menu is varied and nicely presented. The wine list has lots of choice, especially of VQA BC wines. My friend and I chose fresh halibut cooked to perfection. My wife had a wonderful roasted duck (imported from Quebec), and my friend's wife had a chicken dish, which she found to be excellent as well. Since we were going on to a private house party, we did not sample the desserts, but they looked very appealing. We will definitely be back for more. Altogether a most pleasant experience and the bill at the end was not shocking either.

“Almost absolutely perfect”
Reviewed August 12, 2013

My husband and I had an incredible lunch --the quiche of the day-- and it was so light yet rich that it almost tasted like a souffle. So often you can't get a great view and great food at the same time but in this case you can have your cake and eat it too. The waiter, Dave, was fantastic and helped make the atmosphere. My husband's mushroom soup was a disappointment --it tasted like broth in which the mushrooms had been cleaned but we have been there twice and the rest of the food has been outstanding so maybe the chef had a bad idea for the soup that day. Perched on a patio looking at the sun on the lake and eating great food with good service--it doesn't really get any better. It is on par with Quail's Gate in the Okanagan and we are so happy to have this outstanding restaurant in our own neighbourhood (somewhat). I would suggest better signage--we had trouble finding it as we are not from Nanaimo.

Nanaimo
“Getting it right”
Reviewed August 11, 2013

What can I say? A beautiful restaurant overlooking the lake, a thoughtful menu and upbeat servers all combine to create one of the best dining experiences on Vancouver Island. Fabulous Bistro fare and the prix fixe is always a bargain and very worthwhile. Go.

Vermilion, Canada
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Fabulous food AND a great view!”
Reviewed August 10, 2013

We discovered this restaurant by Googling 'Nanaimo Restaurants with a view', and were struck by the number of positive reviews posted by others. We just had to check it out, and the great reviews were absolutely true. We were impressed by the attractiveness of the room and the lovely lake view immediately, and then went on to be delighted with the delicious food and friendly professional service. We spent much of our lunch conversation discussing who else we should invite to eat with us here, and how soon could we come back! There's definitely more on the menu that we want to try next time!

Canada
“Not disappointed!”
Reviewed August 8, 2013

My husband and I had a mid week meal here. The Bistro has a beautiful and tranquil setting over looking Westwood Lake. My husband had the tuna and I had the goats cheese salad for a starter. Both were delicious. I chose the chicken with mushroom and leeks. It was tasty but I found the vegetables and polenta made too much sauce and would have been better with a spoon. However, I loved it! My husband had the salmon and his silence on eating was a good sign!
The creme brûlée has become a benchmark for dining for us. It had a light creamy texture with a thin and crisp sugar topping. I had the lemon desert and could have done with more meringue and no cream, but it did freshen the palate perfectly.
Dave knew his wines and was happy to advise.
Having a very European palate we are both very fussy with our dining experiences but were delighted on this discovery. If looking for a quiet secluded dinner, I would highly recommend you check this bistro out!