“Lovely bistro, charming hosts”
Review of Bistro at Westwood Lake - CLOSED

Bistro at Westwood Lake
Good for: Scenic view, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed July 2, 2013

We were in a hurry to catch a ferry, so only had appetizers but everything was excellent and beautifully presented. Our choices from the wine list (both white and red) were memorable and my husband found a new favourite red (sadly not available at the liquor store).
The bistro is off the beaten path so you won't find it unless you have the address but it is well worth seeking out. We will go back when in Nanaimo.
A very minor complaint - the hardwood floor is noisy and I would encourage the staff to wear soft-soled shoes because every time the waitress walked by the clomping from her high heels striking the hardwood created a distracting racket.

There are newer reviews for Bistro at Westwood Lake

Reviewed June 20, 2013

The setting is beautiful, next to Westwood Lake. There are outdoor tables but today was rainy so inside we went. We were a group of five, on a Thursday so thought we didn't need reservations for lunch. We were wrong. I thought we would be turned away but the manager hustled around and set us a place near the fireplace which was really nice.The place was busy. It's been discovered so make a reservation. I had the Dungeness crab cake which came with a small salad. The crab cake was excellent -- full of crab, the salad interesting with water cress and topped with a viola flower ($13) Good coffee. The four others at the table all praised their orders as well. Deserts were in order($7.50) and worth every calorie. Food was presented and served with care. Service was attentive without being intrusive. There was no unspoken "hurry up" and we lingered and talked and had a good visit. I'm already thinking how very special a long summer evening by the lake with good food and good service will be.

Reviewed June 18, 2013

Truly an amazing experience. The atmospher, food and view are wonderful. My husband and I decided to share all of our courses allowing us to sample as many items as possible. The house salad is filling and great. The mussels were the best we have ever had. Truly. For our main course we shared the special which was artic char. This was cooked perfectly and although we were both full not a drop was left on either of our plates. For desert we had a lemon dish which was light, yummy and once again finished to the last drop. We cannot say enough about our time at the bistro. We would definitely visit again.

Reviewed June 17, 2013

Absolutely the best Restaurant in Nanaimo. Food and Service are consistently great. The view and food are spectacular, the wine is always wonderful. Thank you to Gaetan and the wonderful staff at the Bistro for always providing a wonderful dining experience. I would highly recommend the Westwood Lake Bistro.

Reviewed June 12, 2013

I went here for lunch with a buddy. He enjoys good food, and does not mind paying for it. He demands quality food, you will not fool him but once. My lunch here was something to be remembered. A beautiful settling, and a staff would lives to serve. How rare is that.

Well I was in for a treat, I also like and live for good food, I cook and I know what it takes to prepare it to perfection. But this restaurant does it every day!

Take the time and treat yourself to the way food should be prepared and presented.

You only live once, and you will want to do it here .....regularly.

Ideal for a group or for a very private intimate affair ..with food!

I can see why it is the top rated restaurant in Nanaimo and probably beyond.

A job very well done.