“Sadly, it missed the mark.”
Review of The Nest Bistro

The Nest Bistro
Ranked #9 of 330 Restaurants in Nanaimo
Cuisines: French, Italian, Fusion
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Restaurant, lounge, bar, al fresco patio, scratch made food, locally sourced ingredients.
Reviewed March 14, 2013

Having inflated expectations is always a problem. Never more so than our first visit to this restaurant which had such high acclaims. Appies were delightful, but the entree included a long black hair ( every owner's nightmare, I'm sure!) and the risotto was virtually flavourless. Dessert was redeeming, but the mood had been lost.
The back area is rather basic and rustic and detracts from the ambience. It will take a lot to get me back there.

2  Thank Melanie H

Reviewed March 2, 2013

Nanaimo has certainly undergone a transformation (infinitely for the better!) over recent years and The Nest Bistro is a perfect example of the changing face of this once depressed and depressing city. Despite its small size and unassuming exterior, this restaurant has earned its laurels just judging from the hive of activity we witnessed on our recent visit. Even though the menu was not huge, we still had difficulty choosing since so many of the dishes were very tempting. Oh well, it just means we'll have to make another pilgrimage. I had the daily special of duck breast which was delicious as was my husband's choice of flat iron steak. The slight disappointment experienced with the mushroom and brie tart appetizer (a bit bland) was banished once the entrees arrived and totally forgotten with the appearance of the divine desserts. Service was friendly and professional. Could anything be done to improve this impressive culinary temple? One thing : this level of food deserves white linen tablecloths and napkins not formica and paper.

4  Thank eminvancouver
Reviewed March 1, 2013

My family and I were treated to an incredible dining experience last night!! My wife and I were just in Rome in October and the Gnocchi with Chicken that I had last night was just as impressive!.My wife had the Chicken stuffed with mushrooms and Local Brie cheese and that was just as exquisite as my Gnocchi which transported me back to Italy, for a brief visit. My mother in-law had the Forest mushroom risotto and after having a small bite of that I realized that I could have ordered anything on that menu and been completely blown away with my choice. I can't wait till our next visit.I highly recommend making a reservation, the restaurant was full last night of people going to the local theatre!!!

3  Thank Peter C
Reviewed February 11, 2013

4 of us went for dinner and I must say each and everyone of us were more than delighted with the dinner, service and atmosphere. 3 of us had the beef tenderloin, melt in your mouth beef with tasty veg and mashed potatoes. One had the salmon and was more than delighted with the flavour and texture of the salmon. prawns and crab cakes equally delicious. The presentation was also most eye appealing. Service was great, very pleasant and helpful. We will be back again, and again.

3  Thank hunco
chefNic75, Owner at The Nest Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded February 28, 2013

Thank you for your generous words. We are very happy you enjoyed your dining experience with us so much. Thank you for taking the time to share your kind words. We really appreciate your recommendation and high rating.

We look forward to having you as our guests again soon.

Reviewed February 9, 2013

We had a very nice dinner here with friends, but it fell a bit short of the expectations I had based on the stellar reviews. They certainly do their meat well, with very nice salmon and lamb. The gnocchi was a little disappointing... tasty for sure but rather too dense and heavy. I was quite keen to try some of the inventive sounding dishes such as the roast beef / yorkshire appetizer. Again, tasty meat but the a dense, dark and heavy yorkshire. The room was warm and comfortable room and we had a very knowledgeable server, so we will be back again another time and will perhaps try dessert next time. It looked good and the pricing made sense.

1  Thank historygirlNanaimo

Thank you for your review and high rating. We appreciate that very much.

Also, thank you for your feedback. We always use customer feedback as a vehicle for improvement.

We hope you come back soon to try our Spring menu with some great new dishes as well as tweaks of our customer favourites.

Thank you again for your time in writing this review and providing helpful feedback.