“A taste of WOW!”

Ranked #16 of 328 Restaurants in Nanaimo
Cuisines: French, Italian, Fusion
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Restaurant, lounge, bar, al fresco patio, scratch made food, locally sourced ingredients.
Reviewed October 21, 2011

It is increasingly hard to find something unique. The Nest Bistro surprises with creativity, quality and ambiance that are out of scale with its affordable prices. Unpretentious with a modest selection that suits all tastes. You must not miss dessert! Great selection of wines. We love it!

1  Thank Deanna D

Reviewed October 13, 2011

My husband and I have a new favorite restaurant - unfortunately, we don't live in Nanaimo, so our visits will be much too infrequent!

We went for dinner on a Saturday night. Luckily we had made a reservation, as the place was completely booked. It's quite a small restaurant, but cute and well appointed.

Food: Amazing! Everything we tried was absolutely lick-the-plate delicious, from the complimentary amuse bouche to our dessert trio. For appies, we shared the seafood trio and the roast beef on mini yorkshires. All were as unique as they were tasty! For our main course, I had the potato crusted salmon, which was cooked to perfection. I wish I had taken a picture of it - the crisp, browned slices of potato on the top were a thing of beauty! Don't know how they manage to do that and not overcook the salmon... It came with house made spinach gnocchi - mmmmmm! My husband had the lamb shank, which was tender and very flavorful - he claimed it was the best he'd ever had. It was served with a mushroom risotto. I'm not usually a big risotto fan, but I must admit that the taste I had of it was really good. One thing that I really appreciated was the lovely assortment of fresh veggies that came with both meals. They were actually enjoyable on their own and not overdone - a pet peeve in too many restaurants, but not this one! For dessert we shared a trio - desserts are sized and priced so that you can share/sample a few if you like. My favorite was the warm ginger cake, just slightly edging out the chocolate ganache cake - both were incredible. I wasn't as fond of the crepe, but my husband thoroughly enjoyed it. Yes, we waddled back to our hotel...

Wine: The wine list shows some thoughtful choices - and the prices are much more reasonable than most places.

Service: Perfect! Attentive and helpful without being cloying and annoying.

On our return trip, we decided to stop for lunch before heading to the ferry. Once again, everything was yummy, and such a good value. We both had the avocado chicken club, which came with individual little buckets of house made potato chips (another great touch!), soup, and a small mixed greens salad. The soup was cream of celery - now, my husband doesn't like celery, but after one taste he proceeded to eat it all!

Overall, both times at this bistro were absolutely wonderful. If only it was in a neighborhood close to my home!

3  Thank dms214
Reviewed September 29, 2011

Absolutely amazing food, fantastic service and wonderfully accomodating owners. Great place to go with friends, family or that special someone. This place tops them all! I actually dream about their food while I sleep..yumm!

3  Thank Katie B
Reviewed September 26, 2011

Guests of ours, knowing we are always interested in recommending the best dining options in Nanaimo, recommended The Nest to us. We are so thankful they did! We had a great time at The Nest, enjoyed all the food, drink, service and chatting with our server and Jen and Nic.

There were 6 of us and we sampled a large portion of the menu. It's not an expansive menu but there is definitely something for everyone. From the Crunchy Prawns, Roast Beef and Yorkshire Pudding sliders, to the Wild Mushroom Risotto, Flat Iron Steak to the Potato Crusted Salmon all of our starters and entrees were outstanding. Every plate licked clean! The Ice Cream Sandwich (homemade cookies filled with homemade ice cream) evaporated!

For those familiar with the former Drift restaurant, you'll feel right at home here!

We absolutely loved our dinner and time at The Nest and will both recommend to our friends and guests as well repeatedly return for more great meals!

Look forward to seeing you Nic and Jen!

4  Thank BuccaneerDave
Reviewed September 25, 2011

I have been to The Nest 3 or 4 times now and LOVE it. Each meal is better than the one before. Jen and Nic do a fabulous job in the kitchen. I have recommended it to friends, many who have gone for a meal and thoroughly enjoyed themselves.

5  Thank leslie s