“Best poutine I have ever had !!!”

Smokin' George's BBQ
Ranked #11 of 320 Restaurants in Nanaimo
Cuisines: Barbecue
Description: Every city worth its salt has a place that locals talk about… you know, that place that serves up the tastiest, smokiest, most delicious BBQ. In Nanaimo, that place is Smokin’ George’s BBQ! Every day, we’re chopping up seasoned hardwoods to smoke up the most incredible pulled pork, beef brisket, pork ribs, chicken, and sausage this city has ever seen. We bake our cornbread fresh every morning, hand cut buckets of fries and mix up our homemade bbq sauces and dressings, so every time you step in our door, you can smell those flavours in the air. We don’t screw around my friend. We take BBQ very seriously.
Nanaimo, Canada
“Best poutine I have ever had !!!”
Reviewed August 10, 2013 via mobile

Love this place. Can't wait to go back. Can't wait to recommend it to everyone I know. Awesome food, positive environment, Phillips beer. Only drawback is small seating, maybe 10 tables, so non peak times may be more enjoyable. Cheers :)

• Visited August 2013

Valley, Washington
“Local hole in the wall with great BBQ”
Reviewed July 29, 2013

After reading the reviews we thought that we would give this place a try. Glad we did. It was a little difficult to find in an industrial park area but was worth the effort. The atmosphere was very casual and the place was full of locals who seemed to know the staff. The food was reasonably priced and plentiful. Oh did I mention that it was delicious?
I had the stuffed brisket potato which sounded odd but tasted great. My son had the combo plate which was tasty and a generous portion. It was a little odd choosing between cornbread and fries but either could be ordered a a side if we had chosen to do so.

• Visited July 2013
Edmonton, Canada
“Smokin George's is the Real BBQ Deal!”
Reviewed July 28, 2013

We went as a group of 7 to try Smokin George's as it was recommended to us by friends. First of all, loved the cool decor and all the great reviews they have on the walls, this to me says it all about the place. We ordered a bunch of different plates and shared them all. Fantastic and there wasn't a bite left. The ribs were tender and tasty, brisket was done perfectly and had tons of flavor. We ordered the Mac and Cheese balls and I couldn't get enough of them. Loved the dip they came with also. We had ordered two of the salads to compliment our meal, and the dressing that came with was excellent. One of our party decided he had to try the stuffed brisket potato, and when it arrived, I could not believe the size of this baby. We thought there was no way he was going to finish that up, he did, and there was no sharing at all. Everything here is made from scratch. We had the pleasure of meeting the BBQ man himself along with his wife and partner Lea, and both are passionate about BBQ! They love their business and it shows. I do have to say, I do not understand the reviews others have posted with complaints, could be they do not know REAL BBQ?.
Cannot wait for a return visit to Smokin George's.

• Visited July 2013
Canada
“Underwelmed”
Reviewed July 27, 2013

We stopped for lunch in this warehouse area of the city. The restaurant was crowded. Menu items are on a large board and orders taken at a counter. Fresh water is available near the cash register and food is delivered to your table.

I had the Smokin' Georges Combo plate with chicken and ribs. I guess I was expecting chicken pieces instead of what amounts to something looking like it came out of a cat food can. The food was OK but not overwealmingly tasty. The cost for two, with water was over $30.

• Visited June 2013
Nanaimo
“Dissatisfied”
Reviewed June 29, 2013

My husband and I tried take out for dinner on June 23. We were looking forward to it as we both love smoked barbeque style food. We each ordered Smokin' Georges Combo plates; his with ribs and pulled pork, and mine with ribs and beef brisket. We were underwhelmed, first by having to choose between fries or cornbread, then upon opening the containers at home. The rib serving was only two ribs and these were mostly bone. What meat there was, was dry. The portions of other meat were fine, but the brisket was also dry, not tender or juicy as I am used to from other cities' smoke houses, and also Montana's here which does a very tasty, tender and juicy brisket. There was a barbecue type sauce in small containers included but it was very thin and vinegary; neither of us liked it at all. The cornbread was good but my husband said his small portion of fries was not very good. The meals each included a small container of beans, which were OK, and a small container of coleslaw, which seemed to have no dressing on it at all so again no taste. All in all we would rate the quality of the food as poor and will not be eating at Georges again.

• Visited June 2013