“Decent sushi - acceptable price”

Nori Japanese Restaurant
Ranked #3 of 323 Restaurants in Nanaimo
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed August 22, 2013

Very busy restaurant. We arrived when the doors opened and we all ordered lunch boxes.

The pleasant surprise for us was the portion size. It was NOT skimpy in any way. Was this an authentic experience? Not even close however they really understand their target consumer. The food is tailored to accommodate Western tastes. Their sushi is decent but nothing exoctic, tempura is a tad too much batter, katsudon was too thick but for Westerners, it would be considered filling and tasty.

Chef gave us complimentary BBQ salmon cheeks which was our highlight. It was very tasty..

We have not tried any other Japanese restaurants in the neighborhood so we cannot compare but it was a pleasant experience and we left happy and satisfied.

Reviewed August 20, 2013

It is so welcoming when you walk in the door and are greeted by the sushi chefs,smiling away, while they prep the meals in front of you.Had the lunch box meal with my new sister-in-law and this time tried the chicken.Was just as yummo as every other time I have gone.Great value meals that are guaranteed to satisfy your appitite!!.Fast service so a great place to stop for a quick lunch break but you are never rushed so also a nice place to have a relaxing meal with friend.While we were there a meal was served that smelled up the entire place.I believe it was the Garlic Shark and you could hear it sizzling as it was being served..May have to give it a try next visit!!

Reviewed August 12, 2013

Of the two most reviewed sushi spots. Nori has it hands down for quality of food and choice. The rolls are excellent, or just let the chefs pick for you.

Reviewed August 2, 2013

I have already reviewed this restaurant once before but I just felt that I needed to do another to update and elaborate on my previous one.

This is one of THE best restaurants that I have ever been to. It is perfectly rounded in all aspects.

The service is top notch.
The food is mind blowingly good. EVERY time.
The atmosphere is awesome.

My favourite dishes include:
Peanut Crunch Roll - This roll has six pieces and delicious peanut mayo on it. The crunch of the roll comes from tempura bits. It is mouth watering good.
Phili Mango roll - This roll is my 'dessert' when I come here. It is light and so fresh. I love it.

My Boyfriend's favourite dishes:
Strawberry Crunch roll - Delicious crab inside and fresh strawberries on top
Dancing Scallop (appetizer) - Very yummy tempura Hokkaido scallops with a chili mayo and tobiko
Relegation roll - This is a neat roll to even look at. They use a yellow soybean paper to wrap it.

All of the ingredients are fresh and so good!

You are greeted traditionally when you come in the door and thanked upon leaving.

If you have a chance, I highly recommend sitting at the sushi bar and talking with the friendly and amazing chefs/owners. (They may even let you try one or two of the ingredients.) John is a blast to chat with and to sit watch as he adeptly and expertly fires out delicious rolls. If you get to the point of being a regular the chefs bid you goodbye with a fist bump.

I can not wait to go back here. As I write this I am looking at the menu and planning my next order for my next visit.

1  Thank Skatchie
Reviewed August 2, 2013

Arrived around 6pm on a Thursday evening and got one of the few remaining tables. The waitresses were run off their feet and the yelling and screaming from the kitchen was an indication of how crazy busy the place was. We ordered the dinner special and the galbi rib dinner. While the dinner special was great and a good value, the galbi dinner was really a disappointment - portion size was very small. While the waitresses did their best to keep customers happy and did very well under the circumstances, more staffing is needed for the busy times.