“Great Value combined with great food”

Nori Japanese Restaurant
Ranked #4 of 330 Restaurants in Nanaimo
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed November 14, 2012

We try to visit Vancouver Island for a week each month and since we originally found this restaurant back in May, we've dined here many times. This includes last week and we could not believe the full meal deal that they serve you for under $20. Starting with the Sunomono and Miso soup they give you an appetizer portion of both Tempura and then Sushi. That's capped off with their chicken or beef teriyaki. A meal fit for an emperor but more the size you would feed to a Sumo wrestler ... and it's not just the size, it's the quality of the food they serve. The service is amazing and all dishes come to you hot. It's fun watching the antics of the owners who are the sushi chefs and listening to the yelling coming from the kitchen. All in all, a great evening!

Reviewed November 11, 2012

We have so far had two meals in Nori, the first dinner in and the second take out. Food quality has been excellent as has been service and prices are reasonable. This is an excellent restaurant and we will visit it again..

Reviewed November 10, 2012

Not wanting a large meal at lunchtime, my wife and I (both very much seniors) decided to go to Nori's in Nanaimo in B.C. Having been to Japan many times I thought that the Bento box would be a quick, small and easy lunch. So we ordered the chicken version. Imagine my surprise when a large tray appeared with 7 different compartments! In Japan there would normally be 4 or 5 compartments and each would be smaller. Together with the miso soup and complimentary tea, we struggled with the large lunch. If you have a large appetite at $9.95 the meal was a bargain. The restaurant itself is quite delightful with the several chefs making the usual noises that you would expect in a Japanese restaurant, although for some strange reason the music was Latino. We did, of course take the remains home in a "doggie" box to eat another day. Next time we must order a single dish each and share. Definitely worth a visit.

Reviewed November 8, 2012

Very friendly and fast service....even though it's a very popular lunch destination....you can see why when you've eaten there....excellent portions with great variety at a very good price. Wines are also very reasonably priced. I recommend the bento boxes for a very filling and inexpensive meal.

Reviewed November 7, 2012

I came here for my anniversary dinner and splurged (we ordered four rolls, the Oyster Motyaki, the Agedashi tofu, tuna tataki and the soft shelled crab.) Everything was excellent quality and tasted amazing. Our first roll was the Lobster roll followed by something we saw another table order, then the island roll and lastly a caterpillar roll. Everything was extremely fresh and tasty. The Agedashi tofu was some of the best i've ever had crunchy, and the perfect sauce. The tuna tataki was fresh, and came with a very delicious ponzu sauce. The soft shelled crab was excellent and came with a nice tempura sauce. My only complaint is they load everything up with tobiko and though I don't mind tobiko (fish eggs) they seems to load up every roll and top it off with a ton of the stuff which very slightly takes away from the taste of the roll. We sat at the sushi bar and everything that came out looked amazing. They also carry asahi beer which is one of my favorite Japanese beers. The chef was extremely knowledgeable and pleasantly chatty. Everything was just Delicious and this is definitely my new favorite sushi place in Nanaimo.