“Motel disguised as a resort” 3 of 5 bubbles

The Inn on Long Lake
Ranked #2 of 19 Hotels in Nanaimo
GreenLeadersBronze level
BC
“Motel disguised as a resort”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2013

My choice because it was close to my meetings. Not a horrible experience but I found the room drafty and the highway noise was very loud. The location on the lake is actually very pretty but overall I thought this hotel felt like a motel. Check in staff was helpful and professional, breakfast room staff less than friendly and didnt seem to pay attention to the guests too much.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room far away from the highway - I will next time :)
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank VictoriaRobyn
NanaimoManager, General Manager at The Inn on Long Lake, responded to this review, October 30, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review our property. I am sorry that you were disappointed in your recent stay. I agree, we have a great location, with every room having a balcony or patio overlooking Long Lake, and the view is great, being so close to the water. The sunrises lately have been spectacular. I hope you were able to enjoy our wonderful Continental breakfast, and have a soak in the hot tub while you were with us. It's a great way to end the day if you've had a hectic day, whether at work or play.
You are right, there can be slightly more road noise if you are closer to the highway. Please let us know when you reserve your next stay, and we will do everything we can to honour your request to be as far from the road as possible.
We look forward to seeing you back at our Inn.
James Young

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
Squamish, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 16, 2013

I can't say enough about this wonderful gem. It is great to know that when you've been traveling and had ferry issues, there is a great place to stay that is close, clean and affordable. The service was amazing (million thanks Elaine!) and the complimentary cookies and coffee/tea in the lobby was a very welcomed sight. And breakfast is included (got to make some waffles). There is a jacuzzi and sauna and they accept pets! You couldn't ask for more. I would hands down recommend this hotel. Enjoy!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
NanaimoManager, General Manager at The Inn on Long Lake, responded to this review, October 17, 2013
Wow! I don't know what else to say to your very enthusiastic review, except: Thank you very much! Elayne is indeed a star at customer service, and a key part of our team. She will be thrilled that you took the time to mention her by name.
We are always happy to have four legged friends come and bring their owners to our Inn. I think all of our staff truly love animals, and it really shows. We normally keep a few dog treats behind the desk too.
I should perhaps warn you that the cookies are wonderful, but can be a little addictive, though.

Edmonton
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2013

This was our second time in Nanaimo and first time staying at the Inn on Long Lake. The Inn was recommended to me by a coworker and I'm glad I took the recommendation. Our room was on the third floor, which gave us a beautiful view of the lake. The Inn, although a bit dated in decor, is very clean and probably one of most comfort-for-value hotels in Nanaimo. In addition to a lower rate for CAA members, your stay includes a continental breakfast (and will accommodate gluten-free diets). We were visiting with family so we didn't have anytime to use the hotel facilities but we will check out the hot tub and sauna the next time for sure.

While in Nanaimo we recommend Longwood Pub, the Nest Bistro, Asteras, and Real Food to dine.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank juliabee222
Thank you for the wonderful review. And please, pass my thanks on to your co-worker who recommended us. We all love the view, and the staff here work hard to make it as comfortable as possible for our guests.
We do try to keep items available for those with Gluten sensitivities, as I know that the average Continental breakfast can be difficult for those affected. Thank you for mentioning this.
I am sorry that you did not have time to try out our hot tub-it is very popular, and is a great way to unwind after a day of exploring. Next time!
You also attended some of my favourite restaurants! Longwood Brew pub is our top referral, due to its quality, service, and proximity, and Asteras is perhaps my personal favourite restaurant in Nanaimo. The owner is incredible, and clearly loves what he does!
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2013

Apparently all rooms have a view, and it's a really nice view of the lake, plus sun rises over the lake. It's right on the highway (didn't hear the highway at night) so easy to get out and about if you want to do some touring of the area and an easy 5-10 min to the ferries.

Rooms are clean and large with a lounge area and a desk, massive TV, tiny bathroom and kitchen area.

1 Thank sellersalian
Thank you sellersalian. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay at our wonderful Inn. You are correct-every room has a view of Long Lake. I personally cannot think of a better end to the day than sitting on a balcony overlooking the lake. And it is still so convenient. I think its a very unique spot.
I know that our bathrooms are certainly not massive, but I am sure you will agree that they are very functional, and maybe a bit bigger than "tiny".
I hope that when you return to Canada on future trips that you will be back to stay at the Inn On Long Lake.
Brandon, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 4, 2013

We stayed at the Inn on Long Lake for two nites on sept.11 th12th. It was a lovely place to stay.Lovely room overlooking the lake.The breakfast was great .Enjoyed The walk around the lake in the morning.The staff was very friendly.We will be back when we are back in Nanaimo. BOB & JACKIE from Brandon M.B.

Room Tip: get a room on the east to view the lake
2 Thank BobandJackie2013
NanaimoManager, General Manager at The Inn on Long Lake, responded to this review, October 6, 2013
Thank you Bob and Jackie. I am happy knowing that you enjoyed your stay at the Inn, and enjoyed the breakfast and the hotels expansive grounds. We look forward to seeing you on your next visit to Nanaimo.
By the way, don't worry too much about the view-all our rooms have a patio or balcony facing the lake. While many people develop a preference for one particular viewing angle, they are all pretty nice!
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 21, 2013

What a nice surprise. Had a bottom floor unit that was pet friendly and clean. The patio opened right on to the lawn leading to the lake. Nice and quiet - couldn't even hear the highway out front. The price was reasonable so we will definitely be back!

2 Thank Blacktop1
NanaimoManager, General Manager at The Inn on Long Lake, responded to this review, September 27, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write this wonderful review! I am so glad to hear how much you enjoyed your stay. We have a truly unique setup here. While we are close to the highway, the sliding glass doors in every room open onto a private patio or balcony that overlooks the lake. It is very peaceful and relaxing looking over the lake, and I know that I never tire of the view.
Fort Langley, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2013

We stayed at the Inn on Long Lake for a couple of days for our children's canoe and kayak regatta which was taking place at the same lake. The inn is similar to a motel style of accommodation with the rooms accessible from the outside. The service was great and the front desk staff were polite and helpful with respect to finding restaurants and after-hours venues. They even pointed out a pub that had a large number of craft beers on tap which was appreciated. The views were beautiful, the rooms were clean and the beds were very comfortable. And a continental breakfast was available in the morning, which my children were very grateful to have. All of this was available at a pretty good daily rate. Keep up the good work!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
NanaimoManager, General Manager at The Inn on Long Lake, responded to this review, September 20, 2013
Thank you Sam E. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay. I know that we had several people at the Inn for the recent Regatta that the Canoe and Kayak Club held on the lake. I am certain that many of our other guests also enjoyed being able to sit on their balconies and watch the competition on the lake.