“Gorgeous setting, and lovely room”

The Inn on Long Lake
Ranked #3 of 18 Hotels in Nanaimo
GreenLeadersBronze level
Victoria, Canada
“Gorgeous setting, and lovely room”
Reviewed May 25, 2013

Lovely hotel on the lake. We went in the middle of winter and loved it...it must be really something in summer! We had a fantastic water view room (they probably all are!) and even though it was a pet-friendly room, it was lovely. We were right next to the gorgeous little hot tub/workout gazebo which was a wonderful spot to unwind each day. The staff were all lovely with the exception of one woman at the desk who was REALLY frosty to us the whole visit. It was quite uncomfortable, and a bit mean, as we continually tried to "make friends" with her. Fortunately, everyone else was fantastic, both to us and our 70lb Shepherd! Highly recommended!

Room Tip: Don't be afraid to take a ground floor room (which you will need to with a pet). Our view was ju...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
NanaimoManager, General Manager at The Inn on Long Lake, responded to this review, May 29, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review our property. I am glad you liked our property. I do apologize that one of the staff was not as friendly as they should have been. We like to think of ourselves as a friendly little property, but we can still improve!
We aren't kidding when we say we are Pet Friendly-we love pets! We don't limit them to the ground floor, but we have found it is the most convenient setup for the pet and owners. And yes, the view is pretty good even on the ground floor. That is the advantage of our location, being right on the lakeshore. I hope you can come back in the summer, when everything is green and in bloom.
James Young

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (114)
BC
Reviewed May 20, 2013

Our room was perfectly clean, bathroom fixtures updated and beds reasonably comfortable. Minor traffic noise was audible from the adjacent highway, but it did not really bother us. The grounds of the inn were lovely and there is a great view of the lake, probably from all of the rooms. The staff were quite friendly. I thought the breakfast was just average....not enough fruit or other choices. The breakfast room needs a reno: food counter crammed into one corner, making it rather crowded when everyone is trying to make their toast or waffles. Overall, it is a good place to stay.

Room Tip: North end, top floor is probably quieter.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
NanaimoManager, General Manager at The Inn on Long Lake, responded to this review, May 22, 2013
I am glad that you enjoyed your stay. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with others.
You are absolutely right, all the rooms (even the meeting rooms) have a view of the lake! It is really a unique location, being right on the shore of such a wonderful and scenic lake.
Although it is bigger than the breakfast rooms at some similar sized properties I have seen, our breakfast room can indeed be a little crowded when the hotel is busy. We are looking into a permanent solution to the problem, but it is not an easy fix unfortunately. Thankfully, with the warmer weather, it does open our patio seating area up, so that you can enjoy the view, the fresh air, and breakfast all at once!
Thank you.
powell river
Reviewed April 26, 2013

I had a last minute change of plans and fortunately for me I managed to find a room at The Inn on Long Lake. Check-in was a breeze thanks to the pleasant young lady at the front desk. The room was very roomy as was the bathroom. It had all the amenities one could expect. I am not certain about the other wings but the wing I stayed in was more a motel than a hotel which I guess does not matter much. I left before breakfast began so I can't comment on that. All in all it is as probably as nice a place as you will find in Nanaimo.

Room Tip: I believe all rooms have a view of a very beautiful lake behind the Inn. The doors between the eleva...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
NanaimoManager, General Manager at The Inn on Long Lake, responded to this review, May 13, 2013
I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us. I am sorry that you were not able to enjoy the breakfast though. I think that between our fantastic staff, our spacious, comfy rooms, and our incredible view, that we are the best little hotel in town.
Thank you for taking the time to review our property. We look forward to seeing you on your next visit to Nanaimo.

Central Saanich, Canada
Reviewed April 18, 2013

The room wasn't especially exciting, but wifi, flat screen, kitchenette and amazing view of lake a bonus. The hot tub and weight-room was a special luxury and just a short stroll from our room. Room service was more than helpful and continental breakfast, unforgettable. My daughter and I would stay here again in a heartbeat. What a treat not to mention, delicious Chinese was delivered in less than 25min. Loved it!

Room Tip: It was a real convenience to be on ground floor facing lake; Continental Breakfast to one side, the...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
NanaimoManager, General Manager at The Inn on Long Lake, responded to this review, April 20, 2013
I am so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us, and that you will be back. We pride ourselves on being clean, comfy, and friendly! I think we have a truly unique location, being close to everything-shopping, restaurants, movies, and transportation, yet being very peaceful and tranquil on our lakeshore. We will soon be putting our pedal boats and kayaks in the water for the summer too.
Thank you for taking a few moments to write this review.
Vancouver
Reviewed April 11, 2013

Since we have 2 dogs we always stay at the Inn on Long Lake when we visit Nanaimo. Not only is the Inn pet friendly, they are pretty people friendly too. Reservations and front desk staff are personable and helpful. The rooms are clean (so important !) and fresh. There is a complimentary breakfast - not really a breakfast, but I surely appreciate a cup of coffee and a danish when I'm starving in the morning. There is ample space to walk the dogs and the lake is a pretty walk. Dog people should ask for a room on the ground floor as you can pass through the room - front door entry from the parking area, sliding glass doors in the back facing the lake should you need to gets the dog outside quickly. It's not a very fancy place, but it is nice, affordable and in a pretty convenient location. We will continue to stay here.

Room Tip: People with pets should ask for a ground level room - easy access to grass through the slliding glas...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
NanaimoManager, General Manager at The Inn on Long Lake, responded to this review, April 16, 2013
I am glad to hear how much you like our property. I think we have a great crew working here. Our housekeepers take a lot of pride in the job they do, and will be thrilled to know that our guests do notice.
We do have a unique property, being right on the shore of Long Lake. While enjoying the view of the lake, it is easy to forget that we are still in the City, and close to shopping, restaurants, movies, and transportation routes.
We do love pets here, and I think they love it too. With our ample grounds to run around on, and the easy access from the rooms, especially on the ground floor, it is the perfect pet getaway.
We are always working to make our Continental breakfast better. Our "Make Your Own" waffles are very popular, and we have switched our juice dispenser so we now carry 3 different juices. I believe most people find our selection of fresh fruit, yogurt, and, of course, bagels and whole grain bread, baked goods, and cereals, to be a great way to start the day.
Thank you for taking the time to review our property.
Trail, Canada
Reviewed April 3, 2013

This is just a great independently run hotel. The front desk staff is very nice and for this price who expects to see a sight as beautiful as Long Lake. The rooms are clean and modern and I have had a pleasant stay every time I have come here. We also use the conference rooms here for business and they do a really nice job. Most meeting rooms also have a picturesque lake view. Due to Nanaimo city planning it is a tad tricky to get to the first time, but persistence will be rewarded with a great stay!

Room Tip: I think they are all look at the lake.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
NanaimoManager, General Manager at The Inn on Long Lake, responded to this review, April 5, 2013
Thanks for taking the time to write this great review!
I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us.
Our meeting rooms stay quite busy throughout the year, as many businesses find that are perfect for groups of up to 45 people. We certainly try hard to ensure that meetings run smoothly, and are as hassle free as possible. We really value our business and corporate travellers.
And yes, all the meeting rooms, and all the guest rooms have a view of the lake.
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed March 29, 2013

This is a good clean hotel, with good customer service. It is located a little north of the city centre but it is not too far away from anything. Shopping and restaurants are all nearby. The hotel is situated on a lake and the views, especially in the morning, are quite nice. All rooms face the lake. Not a place to spend a long holiday but for short stays and or business trips it is perfect. It is my choice for business trips to Nanaimo.
No restaurant on site but a self serve minimal breakfast is included in the room price.
It is clean and comfortable.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
NanaimoManager, General Manager at The Inn on Long Lake, responded to this review, April 1, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review us on Tripadvisor. I am glad you like our property, and we look forward to seeing you on your next trip to Nanaimo. We certainly do work hard to make it comfortable for our business travellers, and place a lot of value on those guests, like yourself, who have made us a regular part of their travel plans. I know that items like the free Wi-Fi, and parking are important to business travellers everywhere.
Our Continental breakfast is a hit with all travellers,as we maintain a wide variety of items to start your day off right.
We certainly do enjoy a strong tourist market as well, whether for short one or two night stays, or for much longer stays. The one bedroom "family suites" are very popular for longer stays as well. Of course, during the summer season we have our pedal boats, and kayaks available to rent right off our dock.