“A find for our tour of Vancouver Island”

The Inn on Long Lake
Ranked #3 of 18 Hotels in Nanaimo
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed August 11, 2012

We staying just one night as a stopover ion Nanaimo and a place convenient for the ferry. What a great little place, with a really pleasant room, for us on the ground floor with a door leading out to the grass and the lake. Friendly staff and a great breakfast at a reasonable rate, awy from the bustle of the town but close to the freeway.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Kevinrmurphy
NanaimoManager, General Manager at The Inn on Long Lake, responded to this reviewResponded August 30, 2012

I am glad you found us, It is a pretty special lake, nestled on the lakeshore like we are, yet close to everything. I do hope in the future that you do more than stopover in Nanaimo. Its a great little city, from the Old Quarter shops, to the Harbourfront walkway, to our many wonderful parks-Pipers Lagoon Park is my favourite. And for more adventurous souls, we have incredible mountain biking trails nearby, or bungy jumping at Wildplay park.
Tjanks for stopping over, and taking the time to review us.

Reviewed August 4, 2012

Stayed with my 3 teenage boys and it couldn't have been better. We had a 1 bedroom and a cot all of which were very comfortable. Beatiful view walk out to the lake. The lady at the front desk was amazing lending my boys a nerf ball to get them outside. The lake was a wonderful addition and the boys ventured in. Take pool shoes as the bottom of the lake is weedy but the boys had so much fun. Breakfast was great again the staff were so friendly. Would stay again tomorrow.

Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank DasdasEdmontonCanada
Reviewed July 21, 2012

I spent one night here and liked it very much. All of the rooms look out over Long Lake and it is very nice. The staff at the front desk were helpful and courteous. The rooms are comfortable and have microwaves and refrigerators. The hotel is well positioned for shopping and other amenities, but is a few miles from downtown. I usually do not like hotels that allow pets because I do not like the smells, but that was not a problem. The hotel has a nice continental breakfast and coffee/hot tea/hot chocolate all day. This was a very nice experience and I would recommend it to others.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank AdgeeCross
Reviewed July 13, 2012

I had been told about this place and it was highly recommended as a great stop in Nanaimo.
The rooms are clean and comfortable.the service from Christy at the front desk was top notch! She was a pleasure and so helpful.
You would never know this was a hotel on the side of the highway.
This is my go to stop in Nanaimo from now on!

• Stayed: July 2012
1  Thank TravelForever1999
Reviewed June 19, 2012

If you read my other reviews, you will see that when I like something, I can still find fault with it. I really can't find much fault with this place. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay here and here's why...

1) Location & Facilities. Being directly on the lake is so calming. I woke up in the mornings and walked around the grounds to clear my head. It was lovely. The breakfast area was small, but very nice. There was space to have breakfast outside weather permitting. Our blood pressures went down upon entering the parking lot. We really liked this place.
The hot tub and exercise area area in the coolest little log buildinig in the centre of the grounds. It was very neat. View of the lake by day and by the moon.
There are elevators on either end of the building.

2) The room was clean and the updates that were done were nice. It did not have a flat screen TV (as I saw someone else point out), but that was not of importance to us. The bathroom was updated, the coffee station and fridge were well appointed. There was ample space in the room for everything. We really enjoyed having our private balcony. Our daughter had so much fun going in and out of her own will. It was so relaxing to just let loose. That's not easy when you have a little one. When they say every room has a view of the lake, they mean it. I kind of thought that was a little bit of false advertising before I got there so when I booked I said I wanted a lake view. But it really is true.

3) The staff was so helpful! After reading all of the reviews on TripAdvisor, I took the tips I found and decided to call personally instead of booking online. The person I spoke with completely understood that we would like to have a quiet room and promptly booked us in a room on the North Side farthest from the Highway. A few days later I realized that we didn't want to bring our playpen with us and had my husband call them back to ask if they had one on hand. It was waiting for us in our room on checkin. We also had a teensy issue when trying to have a hottub before bed. The lights were off. So my husband went to grab a front desk staff person. She came and assisted us. I don't even know how she got the lights to turn on. We felt like idiots, but she made no big deal of it. :)

There are no restaurants on site, but there is continental breakfast in the morning. They are located within walking distance of the mall which has restaurants in the parking lot, and within a few minutes drive of many other restaurants.

As a fun little story about our stay... On one morning when I was walking around taking pictures of the lake and geese, I noticed an RCA zooming around after the geese. The front desk staff were trying to gently get the geese to go back into the lake and stop doing their messy business on the grass and pathways. I guess someone Twittered that The Inn On Long Lake were "Scaring the geese with a 4 wheeler again!" Within the hour the A-Channel news team showed up! I didn't get a chance to catch the news that night, but that's pretty funny. I wonder if the news team was disappointed it was just a little remote control car!? Maybe management can enlighten me when they respond to this. :p

Room Tip: If you are concerned with road noise (of which there really isn't much even outside) then reques...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank Brittney R
NanaimoManager, General Manager at The Inn on Long Lake, responded to this reviewResponded June 20, 2012

Thank you so much. I think you said everything there is to say about our property, from the view to the hot tub, to the Continental breakfast, to the most important thing, our great staff!
Yes, we did have some news coverage about our dealings with the geese, as this is a widespread problem in this area. I know many dealing with the goose problem have resorted to buying dogs to chase them, or renting eagles to scare them away! Looking for a friendlier method, we have since fenced our beach-one half is enclosed to allow the geese a bit of land, and the other is fenced in the water to allow our human guests access to the water. Creating a small "goose sanctuary" is a new approach, but does seem to work better than any of the more confrontational methods used in the past. Perhaps in the future your little one will be able to feed the baby geese at our property!
I look forward to seeing you when you return to Nanaimo.

Reviewed June 12, 2012

We had a great stay at this hotel we were there Jun 7-11 2012 for the BC Yukon Regional competition and were pleasantly surprised at how dog friendly this hotel is. The rooms are clean the staff courteous and accommodating. The dogs are allowed off leash if well mannered they are allowed to swim in the lake as well there are towels for drying dogs feet when they come in. We enjoyed our time there. They are close to many restaurants and services in the area. Good location.

The only complaint I would have is that when the floor above had a shower there was a very loud thunk and running water sound that actually woke us up at 430am.. that was not appreciated much. I actually got out of bed to see what it was as it sounded like a pipe had burst.

Room Tip: If you have dogs request bottom floor for best access to outside.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Brazenbabe
NanaimoManager, General Manager at The Inn on Long Lake, responded to this reviewResponded June 14, 2012

Thank you. We were thrilled to have so many dogs here with the recent Dog Agility Competition, and look forward to seeing them back for the Nationals in August. We have special "doggie towels" available for our four legged friends, and of course, some treats at the Front Desk. Yes, as long as they behave, we love to see dogs running around the lawn. I have to say that all of our recent four legged competitors seemed very well behaved, and very friendly.

Reviewed June 11, 2012

I stayed at this hotel June 7th - 9th, 2012.

In addition, I also have reservations for 4 days in August as I stayed at this hotel for the BC / Yukon Agility Regional Competition. However, with my experience with the hotel this weekend, that may change.

The Good:

This hotel is in a great location, located near the Departure Bay Ferry and directly off the highway and everything you may need is close by. The rooms themselves we're fairly nice (beds, shower, balcony ETC). I found the house keeping service to be excellent and the air conditioner worked great.

The Bad:

The fridge in my room was EXTREMLY loud. I had to turn it completely off in order to sleep. After consulting with the front desk they suggested I turn it down (which I did). However, they we're unsure of how to turn it down and never followed up with me to see if this problem was fixed. Overall, I felt the woman working at the front desk wasn’t too enthusiastic about their job when I met them at check-in and for this issue as well.

A minor issue but a light bulb was not working in one of the lamps when I arrived and had to be replaced by the housekeeping staff.

Another really big issue is the noise level of this hotel... and it had nothing to do with the other dogs in the hotel this weekend. I've never been in a hotel that this loud in my entire life. Constant slamming doors will keep you awake all night in addition to the rooms facing the highway.

As I was on floor #2 you could hear the people above you walking around in there room when you're trying to prepare for a big competition the next night. To make matters worse the couple above me we're having sex one evening.

Overall, I was extremely excited to come to this hotel but left completely disappointed. I have friends who stayed at both "The Coast" & "Best Western" and I would suggest you book into one of those hotels VS the Inn.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank DogAgilitydogs
NanaimoManager, General Manager at The Inn on Long Lake, responded to this reviewResponded June 13, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts on your stay. I am sorry to hear that you were disappointed with time with us. I am glad to hear that the room quality and cleanliness lived up to your standards. Our Housekeeping department works very hard to keep our property in pristine condition.
I do apologize that your fridge was so loud that you were unable to sleep. Certainly there are occasions when equipment needs to be replaced, and we do so as we become aware of the issue. The desk definitely should have been more helpful with your complaint., and if they didn’t know how to turn it off, they certainly should have figured it out.
While the hotel is fairly well insulated for noise, there are occasions where noisy neighbours can be a problem, as in any hotel or apartment. We are indeed located close to Hwy 19A, which, as you mention, gives easy access to our property. This is certainly not something we can change, and you will find nearly all hotels in Nanaimo are built adjacent to the highway. However, none of our rooms "face" the road. EVERY room has a steel clad fire door between it and the highway, and each room has a sliding glass door onto its own balcony or patio, overlooking the lake, not the road. I know the dogs love it here, as we have ample lawn for them to romp.
I am sorry that you were bothered by the noise, but I think I can safely say that it is not a widespread complaint among our guests.
In closing, I would like to say that I personally spoke with literally dozens of your fellow competitors during their stays, and received no other negative feedback from any of them. Everyone is thrilled to be returning in August.