“My Home away from home”

Howard Johnson Hotel - Nanaimo Harbourside
Ranked #11 of 18 Hotels in Nanaimo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
  • Polish first
Victoria
Reviewed June 19, 2013

This was a huge disappointment and certainly NOT up to the standards one expects from a Howard Johnson's. The building was over 90 years old and in the worst part of town and smelled strange. Of course, none of this was revealed on line. In fact the pictures looked great. Rarely have I felt so misleaded. The only good thing to say about this hotel was that the service was very good and what would be expected from a Howard Johnson.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Howard Johnson

1 Thank Doretta M
Erik B, Manager of Operations at Howard Johnson Hotel - Nanaimo Harbourside, responded to this review, June 28, 2013
Good Day Doretta,
We greatly appreciate comments posted online about the guest's experience at the hotel.
Yes the hotel is an older property - but only 50 years of age. With our river and ocean front location we do get the low tide odour and also the smell fromt the plywood mill down the road.
Unfortunately we cannot control the air quality in the area. However we do take pride in the cleanliness of the hotel, and guest rooms especially. Our housekeeping team is fantastic and really go care about making sure the room is clean and tidy for each guests arrival at the hotel.
The pictures of the hotel rooms and surroundings are less than 5 years of age. We do not wish to mislead anyone with doctored or false pictures. Thank you for mentioning the staff providing excellent service. I have forwarded your comments to our owner as well.
Thank you again for taking the time to post your honest and sincere comments about your stay.
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
Reviewed June 11, 2013

Thank you for having the Westshore lacrosse team last weekend. We loved the hotel and the poolside rooms. Your staff was very friendly and provided us with everything we needed. My only complaint was the "elephant walker" in the room above us...not much you can do about that except tear out the carpet and put down pillows. back on point, parents and kids all enjoyed themselves. Oh and you need new HD TV's with HD channels.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Howard Johnson

Erik B, Manager of Operations at Howard Johnson Hotel - Nanaimo Harbourside, responded to this review, June 14, 2013
Good Day Al,
We are so happy that you and your family enjoyed your stay at the hotel, and were able to enjoy the pool. I am sorry about the heavy walker that stayed above your room. Thank you very much for taking the time to post on Tripadvisor - hope to see you again soon.
Sincerely
Qualicum Beach, Canada
Reviewed June 11, 2013

This hotel room was intended to be used for a quick overnight stay in Nanaimo while I was visiting friends. When I checked into my room I was shocked to find that the bathroom sink and floor were overflowing with sewage. Something that was really no fault of the hotel I admit I was shocked by the service recovery by the front desk agent.

When I mentioned what had happened he simply said "well there is nothing I can do about it". I asked if there was another room available at a discount as now my shoes and bag were covered in the actual sewage and I was feeing pretty terrible about the whole thing. He rudely stated" we don't give no discounts here for anything and unless you unpacked your bag and this happening while you were already in the room then maybe!"

Ok...feeling very upset and like I was bound to go to another room that wasn't clean that is exactly what I found. Hair in the bathroom, serious dust and just a very unappealing room. It was well after hours and I had no choice but to stay at this hotel. As I am away of the franchises standards and have stayed at many Howard Johnsons that were immaculate my expectations were not close to being met.

I was pleasantly surprised upon check that my room was discounted . No one communicated this to me so it was really a missed opportunity to recovery the situation.

Service trumps all! You can recovery any situation with a guest with a friendly smile and a little empathy. I would highly recommend that management takes a look at the level of service and housekeeping standards they are currently delivering and improve in these areas.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Good Day Exploretourandtravel:
Thank you for posting your comments about your recent experience at the Howard Johnson Nanaimo. I wish to personally apologize for the poor service and lack of cleanliness you experienced at the hotel. I would be mad, frustrated and just plain angry if I had experienced that intorable level customer care at any business or hotel. I have spoken with housekeeping about ensuring that room cleanliness standards are being met and exceeding guest expectations. The lack of care and attention to the detail is not typical of the housekeeping team at the hotel, as they really do care and take pride in doing an excellent job.
I am so very sorry that the front desk clerk working that evening was not empathic or caring and showed little regard to the seriousness of the sink overflowing with soiled water in the guest room. This total lack of professionalism and indifference concerning basic customer skills is not the service image we wish to promote or condone. I have personally spoken with the staff member and he has and will be receiving more customer service and complaint handling training.
We learn from our mistakes, and we do appreciate frank and direct feedback from guests about their stay at the hotel. We are in the business of providing great service, great value and a great stay. We do hope to see you again so we can prove to you that we do truly care.
Manager of Operations

Travelers are raving about these Nanaimo hotels