“Service Terrible- Rooms Not Clean”

Howard Johnson Hotel - Nanaimo Harbourside
Ranked #11 of 18 Hotels in Nanaimo
Reviewed June 11, 2013

This hotel room was intended to be used for a quick overnight stay in Nanaimo while I was visiting friends. When I checked into my room I was shocked to find that the bathroom sink and floor were overflowing with sewage. Something that was really no fault of the hotel I admit I was shocked by the service recovery by the front desk agent.

When I mentioned what had happened he simply said "well there is nothing I can do about it". I asked if there was another room available at a discount as now my shoes and bag were covered in the actual sewage and I was feeing pretty terrible about the whole thing. He rudely stated" we don't give no discounts here for anything and unless you unpacked your bag and this happening while you were already in the room then maybe!"

Ok...feeling very upset and like I was bound to go to another room that wasn't clean that is exactly what I found. Hair in the bathroom, serious dust and just a very unappealing room. It was well after hours and I had no choice but to stay at this hotel. As I am away of the franchises standards and have stayed at many Howard Johnsons that were immaculate my expectations were not close to being met.

I was pleasantly surprised upon check that my room was discounted . No one communicated this to me so it was really a missed opportunity to recovery the situation.

Service trumps all! You can recovery any situation with a guest with a friendly smile and a little empathy. I would highly recommend that management takes a look at the level of service and housekeeping standards they are currently delivering and improve in these areas.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
Erik B, Manager of Operations at Howard Johnson Hotel - Nanaimo Harbourside, responded to this reviewResponded June 14, 2013

Good Day Exploretourandtravel:
Thank you for posting your comments about your recent experience at the Howard Johnson Nanaimo. I wish to personally apologize for the poor service and lack of cleanliness you experienced at the hotel. I would be mad, frustrated and just plain angry if I had experienced that intorable level customer care at any business or hotel. I have spoken with housekeeping about ensuring that room cleanliness standards are being met and exceeding guest expectations. The lack of care and attention to the detail is not typical of the housekeeping team at the hotel, as they really do care and take pride in doing an excellent job.
I am so very sorry that the front desk clerk working that evening was not empathic or caring and showed little regard to the seriousness of the sink overflowing with soiled water in the guest room. This total lack of professionalism and indifference concerning basic customer skills is not the service image we wish to promote or condone. I have personally spoken with the staff member and he has and will be receiving more customer service and complaint handling training.
We learn from our mistakes, and we do appreciate frank and direct feedback from guests about their stay at the hotel. We are in the business of providing great service, great value and a great stay. We do hope to see you again so we can prove to you that we do truly care.

Reviewed June 6, 2013

My husband and I have stayed here three times in the past month due to real estate business. Janet and Phillip at the front desk could not have been kinder, friendlier, or more helpful, recommending restaurants, where to get a newspaper, and even mailing back a left-behind pillow. Janet even looked at real estate properties online with us and remembered us upon arrival. Wonderful staff.

Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple

Good Day Madelyn,
Thank you very much for taking the time to post online about your numerous stays. It is so nice to hear that the staff are so very helpful and on a consistent basis. I will pass on your comments on to Janet and Phillip - as the positive comments and thank you make a huge difference.
Again we are so happy that you enjoyed the service at the Howard Johnson Harbourside Hotel, Nanaimo.
Sincerely

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed June 2, 2013

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Howard Johnson
Erik B, Manager of Operations at Howard Johnson Hotel - Nanaimo Harbourside, responded to this reviewResponded June 19, 2013

Reviewed June 1, 2013

We stayed here for just one night after arriving on Vancouver Island from the mainland.
The hotel is in a good location, very close to the ferry terminal and easy to find etc…Receptionist was pleasant and polite.
The room did smell a little musty at first but I think that was probably down to the room not being used (we were slightly out of season). Nothinh opening a window would´t solve.
The room was large, good pillow etc...
There was a swimming pool at the hotel that looked very clean and well maintained but we didn’t have time to go in.
If you want a clean safe place to spend a night or two in Nanaimo there is nothing wrong with the Howard Johnson, I don’t know what some people want for their money.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family

Good Lotty
Thank you very much for your kind words in your posting on Tripadvisor. The outdoor pool is a great feature we have - and it is heated - to bad you could not take a quick swim.
I will pass on your great comments to the staff - it is our staff that makes the hotel.
Sincerely