“Coast Bastion Staff To The Rescue”

Coast Bastion Hotel
Ranked #1 of 18 Hotels in Nanaimo
Reviewed May 9, 2013

This was my first trip to Naniamo, on my own, and coming from a very small Island Community my experiences of city driving and city parking are just about nil. I checked into the hotel and then attempted to park my van in the Hotel Parking arcade. Much to my dismay I found myself stuck in a parking spot, blocking in the vehicle next to mine and each attempt I made to correct my parking only got me stuck closer to the next vehicle, to the point of I don't think I could have gotten a piece of paper between the two vehicles. I used my cell phone and called the front desk and asked for assistance as I had gotten myself into a bit of a 'jam' in the parking arcade. James and Kelly came to access the situation. They calmed me down, checked for any damages ( there was none to either vehicle which I'm sure was only because of Divine Intervention), and then they took charge of the situation, reassuring me that everything was going to be fine. The Manager personally came and moved my vehicle...without doing any damage to either vehicle, and with such expertise! The staff was wonderful to me and later I was able to laugh and joke about the situation with them. They informed me about the services they offer at the hotel including parking my vehicle for me and bringing it to me, when needed.
The staff made sure I enjoyed the rest of my stay at their wonderful hotel. I highly recommend the Coast Bastion Hotel as a place to stay...beautiful location, excellent food and service and above all else...Staff that go above and beyond the 'call of duty' and treat their guests extra special. I look forward to staying there again.

Room Tip: A room with a view of the Harbour is very nice. You have the option of opening your balcony door an...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business

Reviewed May 7, 2013

Hotel location in the historic downtown area close to the harbour, restaurants and civic amenities makes it a great place for a tourist visit. The room we had on the third floor was a decent size and appeared to be recently refurbished. Comfortable beds and good linens. The room was one with an adjoining door (why do hotels do this?) that let in some noise from the neighbours. There are only 2 elevators and as the hotel had a convention in progress elevator service was very slow. Check in is not until 3 pm with no accommodation for arriving early other than checking the bags.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
David R, General Manager at Coast Bastion Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 14, 2013

Dear Ted M,

Thank you for recently staying with us at the Coast Bastion Hotel.

We agree that our rich history, breath taking harbour and central location all make Nanaimo a fabulous vacation destination. As mentioned our hotel is a great choice for meeting or conventions and our connecting rooms are perfect with those travelling with larger families.

It is always appreciated when one of our guests takes the time to let us, and their fellow Trip Advisor reviewers, know when we have met or exceeded expectations.

We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Sincerely

Reviewed May 7, 2013

We love staying at the Coast,You are made to feel special from the minute you walk in, from the friendly greeting at reception, exception food and service in the restaurant and bar.
The view from our room of the Harbour and ocean and mountains in the back ground is nothing but spectacular.
The room was very clean and wel layed out, very comfortable beds,
and right in the hub of the downtown core, Great restaurants, Martini bars and shops within a minutes walk. we love staying here.

Room Tip: The higher the better, and on the Ocean side
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Shipmates

Dear Shipmates,

The view of the harbour & Coastal Mountains truly is breathtaking and one that everyone should have the chance to see. I will ensure that our Housekeeping staff is made aware of your comments regarding their great service.

We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed May 6, 2013

I had the perfect view and the bedding was fabulous. Slept like a baby and I like higher quality bedding. The staff was very helpful and the attached restaurant was wonderful. I was only there for a night and had to go for business in the City and wished the whole trip was there.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed May 6, 2013

For Conventions, The Coast Bastion Does It Very Well. The staff are fast and very professional, the meals (buffet) were awesome. The hotel room clean and very relaxing. Great view of the marina.
Love the big bottles of shampoo, body wash, conditioner. The towels were nice and soft.
The hotel was full, but the staff remained peasant and approachable.
Over all experience was great. The rooms were quiet. I was on the front side of the hotel, and there was street noise ( traffic, people walking) when the balcony door was opened.
Parking is paid parking and underground. You can have parking added to bill or pay for the parking yourself in the parkade. Before parking your car you can park in front of hotel and check in taking your luggage to your room. In the parkade there are elevators taking you to the lobby in the hotel.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed April 27, 2013

Really enjoyed our stay here. The lounge and restaurant are excellent! The beds are comfy! A little loud when the airplanes take off in the morning when you want to sleep in! Overall, great stay! Good location with easy access to parking. Will stay here again.

Room Tip: Choose a room overlooking the bay
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 16, 2013

We enjoyed a corner room with ocean views...was really a great view and the unit was very spacious. The chaise lounge was nice to relax on. The complimentary welcome plate was a nice touch.

The only issue is parking which isn't the easiest to access as other local hotel parking.

Nice lounge and restaurant though...always enjoy the food and drinks.

Room Tip: Corner ocean facing are wonderful.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Albernfrau,

I wanted to thank you for choosing the Coast Bastion Hotel, and for then taking the time to pass along your feedback. We were thrilled to read how much you enjoyed the spectacular view from your Harbourview Premium Jr. Suite. The view of the harbour & Coastal Mountains truly is breathtaking. I will ensure that our Minnoz staff is made aware of your comments regarding their great menu. Thank you again for your feed. We will look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.