“Nice place to escape to”

Coast Bastion Hotel
Ranked #1 of 18 Hotels in Nanaimo
Reviewed March 29, 2013

We found the room to be well appointed with comfy beds, nice bathroom and a good view of the harbour area. The location was perfect for getting away from it all, particularly at this time of year. Lots of pleasant walking paths on the doorstep, all sorts of shopping nearby, reasonable choice of restaurants and coffee shops too. It was very quiet. Service from all the staff we encountered was excellant. The car was parked in a brightly lit parkade and it is a covered walkway to get to it. We would stay again and would recommend this to anyone.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
David R, General Manager at Coast Bastion Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 14, 2013

Dear Uk Corn,

I wanted to thank you for choosing the Coast Bastion Hotel, and for then taking the time to write a review of your experience.

We are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your stay and we are looking forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed March 29, 2013

First - a great location in Nanaimo

Now:

1) the restaurant is a complete rip off
2) the wi-fi would only work occassionally. I called their internal help desk and was promised a call back. That never came.
3) It took the restaurant staff about 20 minutes to sort out who bought what at our table when it came time to present the bills
4) we needed a room with two beds - all were only double beds - no queen sizes in this type of room

The 'West Coast Work Ethic' at its finest!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank TheForks
Reviewed March 23, 2013

I stayed at this property for two nights, on both days I ran into issues with front office staff (mostly front desk agents). I have been travelling in past two weeks and have stayed in total of 6 different hotels at different cities, however, this hotel customer service and their staff willingness to help is far from good. I had to change my room keys daily or sometimes twice in a day. The room cards worked on the elevator for my floor but not my room. I told staff that this is ridiculous that I have to go back and forth all the time, but it didn’t seem they care.
I arrived late one night after having a drink or two with my business associate and he walked back with to my hotel to finish some unfinished business; we were stopped at the front door and they were not letting my business associate inside as he is not a registered guest. Trust we are not 18 years old kids to crash the room, so i asked to see a front desk manager and once I talk to a older guy at the front desk, (supposedly a manager), he became extremely rude and raised his voice and etc... and he did not even care.
The one person that I have respect for is “James” the morning Bellman, out of all of the staff, he is the only one that was displaying his willingness to help us if he could.

The short note is that I would never go back there, I would rather stay at Best Western and greeted by a smile than been treated by old grumpy people that they hate their job.

3  Thank 326AG
Kerry P, Front Office Manager at Coast Bastion Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 25, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review of your recent stay with us. I apologize that your experience was anything less than satisfying. Our goal is to not only meet the needs of each and every guest we serve, but to exceed your expectations and to make your stay as pleasant and comfortable as possible.

There is nothing more frustrating than coming back to your hotel room only to find that you are not able to access your room. We are very sorry for the inconvenience this caused and we appreciate you bringing this to our attention. Our maintenance department has been made aware of the issues with the lock reader and has spent the weekend servicing all guest room locks.

The safety and security of all of our guests is first and foremost therefore any non registered guests are not granted access to guestroom floors after 11:00pm. Our guests are welcome to have visitors in their guestrooms prior to 11:00pm and in Minnoz Lounge after 11:00pm. This however does not excuse any of our staff treating you or any of our guests with disrespect. Your feedback is extremely valuable to us. Feedback such as this will assists us in improving our service and property on a daily basis. In addition, please know that your comments and issues have been addressed.

If I can provide any assistance, don't hesitate to contact me directly.

Kerry Pearce
Front Office Manager
Direct Line 250 753-2977 ext 2221

Reviewed March 19, 2013

From the minute we arrived to the minute we left the staff were just amazing. We bought the Pirate Family Package which included pirate gear, ferry passes to Protection Island and breakfast for the kids and it was well worth it!

When we first arrived, we were greeted by Anne Marie who could easily see that we had our hands full with a 11 mth old and our 7 year old. She got our bags up to our room, chatted with our son who loves pirates and then brought them up a special bedtime snack - milk, nanaimo bars, and fruit!

The front desk staff and the other concierge were always so helpful and gave us great suggestions to keep the kids occupied!

The hotel location is perfect and our room had a great view of the water....we really can't wait to go back again!

I also want to thank the staff at Minnoz who helped me keep the kids entertained by talking to them at breakfast while my husband was working. The food was fabulous for dinner and breakfast!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed March 15, 2013

My go to hotel of choice in Nanaimo. It is not a family hotel as there is no pool or free breakfast and the such for families hence the reason I call it a buisness class hotel. But in my opinion it is a top notch hotel. I stay here on average of 6-9 times a year and they have never let me down even some employees know me by name now lol. The rooms are alway fresh and clean. Love the new brand of soaps they have gone to. ( Hope all Coast Hotels do the same) Bathrooms always look clean, new and ready for use. Plenty of hot water no mater what time of day. Always quiet at night as well. even noise from the street below is not heard unless you open your door to the tiny balcony. Wireless internet is always free and very fast. The restaurant is a little pricey but have always found the food tasty and filling. The lounge is trendy looking and staff working in it are always friendly and enjoy a good chat when not to busy. Yes you do pay for the parking but it is a little over $8 a night but this is governed by the city not the hotel. It is always covered and plenty available when I have stayed there. And easy to find and get to from the hotel.
The roomI am currently in has 2 beds but plenty of room, large flat screen tv, coffee maker, but no fridge. for a fridge you will need to go up a class in room from a comfort to a superior.
But this room has everything I need for the night.
All in all I would highly recommend this property for anyone looking for a great, clean friendly place to stay in Nanaimo.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank gunner116
Kerry P, Public Relations Manager at Coast Bastion Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 8, 2013

Dear Gunner116,

Thank you for staying with us at the Coast Bastion Hotel. We value each guest, as we know that you have a choice when deciding where to stay while here in Nanaimo on business or pleasure.

We strive to exceed our guest expectations by providing the right room, the right technology and the right service to make every stay relaxing, convenient and filled with positive interactions.

We are looking forward to welcoming you back again soon.

K Pearce
Guest Relations Manager

Reviewed March 15, 2013

I was at the Coast Bastion on 9th and 10th March 2013 for a weekend seminar which was being held at the hotel. There was a group room rate and this is why I chose to stay there,

On the plus side:
This is a great hotel. right on the waterfront.The staff were helpful, efficient and friendly. I had some water views from my 7th floor corner room. There was a sliding door on to a tiny balcony. Opening this on a summer night would probably be great, instead of noisy air conditioning. My room had a modern decor with a nice bathroom and was very clean.

I had room service one night for dinner and room service continental breakfast each morning (two). All times, room service was prompt and well presented and the staff were very friendly. I had dinner in the restaurant the first night. I am a vegetarian and I was a little disappointed with the choice available on the menu but I had veggie lasagne which was very pleasant.

On the minus side:

I had a couple of problems through my stay.

The main problem was the bed. It was hard as a rock. Most mid range hotels these days have decent quality pillow top beds. If there was a pillow top on this bed, I failed to find it. I suffer from joint problems and both nights I had a bad night's sleep and got up stiff and sore which affected me the next day and my ability to concentrate at the seminar. If I had thought about it, I could have stayed at the Best Western next door as I know that the majority of Best Westerns have pillow top beds. I was in a basic room with is the "comfort room" so I don't know if the more expensive rooms have pillow tops. Perhaps they do. If you have arthritis then the "comfort" level room is not for you and I would check whether the other levels of rooms have pillow tops.

I also had problems with the room keys. In a two night stay, these had to be changed 3 times because they did not work properly, either in the lift or with my room lock. Even the last set was unreliable and I was having to use the key maybe 12 times before the door would open. The same thing happened in the lift. I think there is something that could be done to improve on that.

If you are not worried about the beds (and let's face it, many people aren't) then you will enjoy your stay in this hotel!

Room Tip: If it's warm weather ask about a room with a small balcony and a sliding patio door. It will sav...