“Could do worst.”

Ranked #8 of 19 Hotels in Nanaimo
San Marcos, Texas
“Could do worst.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2009

Average hotel on the southern end of the main drag of Nanaimo. I need a room with a bed and the bed was comfortable, good water pressure in the shower, nice cable TV (like 75 channels!) and there was a separate living room with a mini frig, microwave and like a 25 yr old 13" TV! Note: the bedroom did have a separate flat panel TV along with a wall unit a/c that was somewhat noise but did cool the room.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled solo
2 Thank lighthouseboy

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Victoria
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2009

After reading the other reviews, I was a bit apprehensive about this place but my job had already booked me in so I didn't really have a choice in the matter. The room was clean, although in the morning there were a couple silverfish in the bathtub which kind of grossed me out. My room was facing the highway so there was no view to be seen and I couldn't keep the window open because the traffic was really noisy. A couple of times I noticed about 5 or 6 staff members hanging outside the front lobby entrance smoking. Why management let their staff smoke in a place where potential customers get their first impressions is beyond me. I ate a couple times at the ABC restaurant and the food was decent.
Some of the ladies at the front desk seem like they have been working there too long because they certainly like to give you attitude. When I asked about a long distance rate to Victoria from the hotel phone, I was told that its whatever the rate is that Telus charges them. I asked if they could tell me, based on previous experience, a ballpark figure for what calls to Victoria cost and then the lady said "No! There is no previous experience. Do you know how many long distance calls are made from this hotel? Maybe you should phone Telus." Maybe the HOTEL should phone Telus and tell me what their rates are. At that point I hung up and used my cell phone. I didn't think it was such a crazy question to ask but for the hotel to refer me to Telus to find out their long distance plan is pretty ridiculous.

The hotel is located on the outskirts of Nanaimo and if you don't have a car I'd be prepared to cough up some cab fare because the area around the hotel is pretty sketchy. I went for a walk behind the hotel and I think its an Indian reserve but its really not a very nice area back there. By no means am I discriminating against aboriginals but I ended up being heckled by some people about my blue polo shirt and how I shouldn't be wearing that around here. I'm still trying to figure it out but the moral of the story is the surrounding area is dodgy.

There are no movies offered through the TV and the wireless internet is extremely slow.
Housekeeping was good to replace the towels and make the bed but I'm pretty sure thats about as far as they go. I stacked some dishes in my room and they just left them until I took them back myself.

I didn't use the pool.

All in all, this hotel is what it is. The rooms themselves are fine. However, I wouldn't come back here because I'm sure I could get a room for the same value that is located in town and closer to shops, food, etc and the rude encounter that I had with the front desk sealed the deal.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business
5 Thank Passion4Backpacking
PaulNanaimo, General Manager at Days Inn - Nanaimo, responded to this review, June 23, 2009
Thank you for your open feedback regarding your stay here - you have identified several training/operational issues that will be addressed with the staff in both Guest Services and Housekeeping.

I appreciate your comments as this information is invaluable in assisting us to work at improving our product and service. Please contact me dirtectly if I can be of assistance in the future.

Regards,
Alberta
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 22, 2009

We saw the bad reviews but needed a place for six nights in Nanaimo and the other hotels were just too pricey. Because of all the negative comments, at check-in, we asked to see the room before we went ahead, and did not find anything to support the bad ratings.
The hotel is clean, the staff at the front desk were very friendly although somewhat under-trained (everyone seemed brand new, i.e. one was unable to give clear directions to the hotel, another was unaware if there was a lobby phone).
We rented two rooms with king size beds - the sign on the door said they were their "business place" rooms. We did not find any bugs or anything unclean about the room, its not a luxury hotel nor is it brand new but we found everything of an acceptable quality.
Housekeeping cleaned our room every day - made beds, replaced towels, etc. even though many other hotels I've seen lately do not do service if you aren't checking out that day and they ask you to reuse towels to save on water.
We used the pool and the hot tub every day, both were good although the pool is a bit shallow (about 4.5' at its deepest).
The ABC restaurant was so-so for breakfast but did a nice fish and chips for lunch. The view of the waterfront from the restaurant is beautiful.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with friends
3 Thank NedandDana
canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2009

were to start... older lady checked us in and was unbelievably rude.. silver fish in bathroom... garbage under bed, had not been cleaned under there in a long time... hall carpets were filthy.. pool and hot tub were okay...some of the facilities they say they offer they dont really have and we never got our wake up call...i will never stay there again and would never recommend it to anyone

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank wendy70Canada
PaulNanaimo, General Manager at Days Inn - Nanaimo, responded to this review, May 13, 2009
Thank you for your feedback - we need this information in order to improve our product and service. Please accept my apologies for the problems you encountered - I have discussed with our house keeping team, these training issues. Please contact me directly at 1-250-754-8171 to discuss your stay further.

Regards,

Paul Dodds BSC. CHA

Travelers are raving about these Nanaimo hotels

Victoria
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2009

My family and I travel often for my son's basketball tournaments and we recently had the pleasure of staying at the Days Inn Nanaimo. I must admit I wasn't sure what to expect given some of the other hotels we've stayed in over the last few years but much to my delight the experience we had at the Days Inn surpassed the hotel experience we have had for some time.

From the moment, we called to book our reservation the service was superb. We called the hotel directly to book our room as we were coming with a sport team. The lady who took our reservation was friendly and even took the time to tell us about the hotel's indoor pool & restaurant facilities since she knew we were traveling with children.

The staff at the hotel was outstanding. At check-in, the staff took the time to ask the kids about their team and wish them luck in their tournament. They had maps and directions already prepared to give us when we inquired where the arena was.

Our room was clean and very spacious since there were four of us staying there. Although I never saw the lady who cleaned our room, she did a great job.

We also ate quite a few meals at the hotel restaurant. The food was very tasty and they had a great selection for both the adults and children at reasonable prices.

Having stayed at many hotels I know no matter where you stay you will always get a bed to sleep in but what really make the stay are the service and the people. The Days Inn Nanaimo provides excellent service.Whether you are traveling to Nanaimo for a sport event like me or for any other reason I highly recommend this hotel for your stay.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with family
poco
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 14, 2009

It's not that bad to visite the hotel. I am willing to book there again despite some of the negative reviews. The hotel is good for money given its service and facilities

• Stayed April 2008, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Alberta
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2008

Worst experience
Unfriendly Front Desk
Stinky room with old beds and carpet
We had a problem with our toilet for 4 days they did not fix it and did not move us to another room. Eventually we move to another Hotel near by (RAMADA) with better rate and friendly Front desk.
The information about this hotel in their web site is not true.
It is one of the nosiest hotels. In one side it is facing the road and the other end is facing to a paper mil and scary area.
The old A/Cs are too noisy and you cannot use it when you are sleeping.
Pick any Hotel / Motel in Nanaimo instead of this Hotel.

• Liked — Swimming Pool / restaurant
  • Disliked — Front Desk
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family