“Assigned an inconvenient, cramped room.”

BEST WESTERN Dorchester Hotel
Ranked #6 of 19 Hotels in Nanaimo
GreenLeadersBronze level
B.C.
“Assigned an inconvenient, cramped room.”
Reviewed November 19, 2013

I was disappointed with the room we were assigned. It was really cramped and in a poor location. When you exit the elevator you then had to turn a corner and go down several stairs before entering the hallway. As a Best Western member, I don't think I deserved one of their worst rooms. The restaurant has such limited hours that it was never open when we wanted to use it. Other hotels go out of their way to make sure you have a pleasant stay - I feel the opposite is true of the Dorchester.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
NanaimoResponse, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Dorchester Hotel, responded to this review, November 21, 2013
Thank you for taking your time to letting us know how your stay was.
It is unfortunate that we didn't meet your needs and expectations.

We always strive to serve our guests with full care to accommodate our guest's needs at all times. For your future reference, we do have several alternate choices of different room types and different location of the rooms with different views and size. If you'd like, we can set up your profile with certain preference such as preference the room with view, larger size, no stairs, we will do our best to accommodate your needs.

Please accept our sincere apology and I can assure you for your next visit that we'll do our best to accommodate your needs with better service.

BEST WESTERN PLUS Dorchester Hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
  • Korean first
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed November 6, 2013

I was happy with the location od this hotel, as it was close to everything. Parking was an issue as there are not enough stalls for guests. Had to park on the street. The main concern is that this is a very old and tired hotel. Heritage or boutique hotels are grand if done right, however this hotel lacks in many areas. The lobby is small with cracked tiles, dated furniture, the hallway carpets are worn out, the rooms are very small, the building is extremely noisy ( you can hear a pin drop through the paper thin walls), and it feels like you are going to fall through some of the hallway floors. The hotel, including my room, smelled like the bottom of an old wooden boat. I found out from the desk clerk that the hotel is over 120 years old!! I'll be staying at the newer and nicer hotel across the street next time. It's about the same price too!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
NanaimoResponse, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Dorchester Hotel, responded to this review, November 8, 2013
Thank you for taking your time to share and letting us know how your stay was.

It is a regret to hear that we haven't met your expectations.There're a few challenges that we encounter for being a heritage building, but we do keep striving to serve our guests with better service and to meet our guest's expectations as always.

We're working on to update some of our public areas including hallways and lobby areas in near future. Hope this will help our future guests with better service.

Again, thank you for the feedback. It'll help us improve our service.

BEST WESTERN PLUS Dorchester Hotel

Travelers are raving about these Nanaimo hotels

Courtenay, Canada
Reviewed October 28, 2013

We had a great stay, downtown Nanaimo has become pretty cool, the little shops are quite funky and cute. We loved the outdoor deck on the 3rd floor, we were able to hang out there and enjoy the unseasonably warm weather and there was no on else out there.Actually the hotel was very quiet, it felt like we had it all to ourselves, must be a well kept secret? Really lovely view of the harbour from our window, great place to watch the sun rise.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

NanaimoResponse, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Dorchester Hotel, responded to this review, October 30, 2013
Dear Deb Storey,

Thank you for taking your time to share your experience with BEST WESTERN PLUS Dorchester Hotel! I'm glad that you've enjoyed amenities we offer and downtown of Nanaimo as well.

We're located in the heart of Downtown Nanaimo looking over Inner harbour where lot of amenities are within walking distance including Sea Walk, Harbour Air, Convention Centre, Casino and all kinds of restaurants and shops and amenities that you can only enjoy in Nanaimo Old City Quarter.

Will be looking forward to welcoming you again!

Québec, Qc, Canada
Reviewed October 19, 2013

The hotel is relativelly clean. I booked my room last minutes, so I suppose I got one of the last room. I was at the first floor, just beside the street... so not really quiet... but as I arrived late and was leaving soon it was ok. But if you can pick a room on the harbor side it will be better. I don't know if it's like this at all the floor level, but the hotel seems to be build in wood many years ago. When people walk in the hallway it seems you are in a 1835 old farm house. I had a few minutes only for the breakfast and the people at the restaurant help me to make it on time. I appreciated it.

Room Tip: If you can pick a room on the harbor side it will be quieter.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
NanaimoResponse, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Dorchester Hotel, responded to this review, October 22, 2013
Dear Mr. Salutzo,

Thank you for sharing your experience with BEST WESTERN PLUS Dorchester Hotel!
By letting us know what you liked and what we can improve on, you're allowing us to improve our services for our guests.

Once again, thank you for your feedback and will be looking forward to welcoming you again in near future!

Pleasanton, California
Reviewed September 28, 2013

I love staying at Best Western- I always get a clean quiet room, comfy bed, awesome shower/bathroom.
This hotel was convenient to a park across the street- beautiful clean wonderful walk around the harbor with shops and play area.
The hotel was great and staff wonderful helpful and friendly.
The gentleman at the front desk in the evening gave us a short history of the hotel, very interesting.
One negative- the elevator was broken and we were on the 3rd floor- easy for my husband and I, but a bit tiring for my 72 year old mother- the staff did offer to carry up our luggage.
Booked 2 rooms and they were conveniently next to each other.
Nanaimo Bars everywhere YUM!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
NanaimoResponse, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Dorchester Hotel, responded to this review, October 1, 2013
Thank you for taking time to share your experience with BEST WESTERN PLUS Dorchester Hotel! I'm glad to hear that you've enjoyed your stay and we've met your expectations.

Our elevator was down due to mechanical reasons, but it got repaired now and hope no more inconvenience for our guests. Luckily, our guests were all patient and thanks for the understanding.

We'll always strive to serve our guests with full care at all times. And, we'll be looking forward to welcoming you again on your next visit to Nanaimo.

Ashland, Oregon
Reviewed September 6, 2013

purchased this overnight stay in Nanaimo on Kayak. employees were courteous but I was designated to a separate section of the hallway to a small very cramped but clean room. There were about 10 rooms in this side section. So claustrophobic I stayed out as long as I could and left as early as possible - there were windows that looked at a wall. To freshen up clothes with an iron is a balancing act. I am of average height and weight and athletic. I have the feeling this is the Best Western policy to fill rooms that have been purchased by discount brokers. I will be very cautious in the future.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

10 Thank laure1067
NanaimoResponse, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Dorchester Hotel, responded to this review, September 9, 2013
Thank you for letting us know your experience with us. It is such a regret to hearing that we didn't meet your expectation. We'll use your feedback for our future guests and will consider having other room types available for 3rd party booking website.

In the meantime, you'll find that we have various other room types at reasonable rates on our website, and it is worthy to pay some extra for different room types and different views including our picturesque harbor view.

Thank you for staying with us and hope you would stay with us and experience our other room types and I'll assure that your stay would be more convenient and pleasurable.

If you need any assistance, please feel free to contact me directly at anytime.

Newmarket, Canada
Reviewed September 3, 2013

We stayed one night in August and this hotel suited us just fine. Hotel has two entrances and uses a public parking lot so it took two trips around the block to figure it out. The room was fine and even though the hotel is on the older side it was clean and well taken care of. Not having a laptop we appreciated the lobby computer. The front desk staff were both helpful and friendly.The location is right across the road from the beautiful Nanaimo waterfront. Many places to eat are in the area within walking distance. We would stay here again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
NanaimoResponse, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Dorchester Hotel, responded to this review, September 5, 2013
Dear Joe and Peggy,

Thank you very much for taking your time to letting us know how you enjoyed your stay with BEST WESTERN PLUS Dorchester Hotel. I'm glad to hearing that we've met your expectations and will relay your comment with our team.

For our future guests, please be informed that we have our main entrance unloading zone on Church St for checking in and you'll be given our complimentary parking pass for you to display in your car, and to move your car to the parking lot on Front St. It is just one block down. There are stairs from Parking lot to the back entrance of the hotel. It would be more convenient to unload your luggage at the main entrance. Hope this will guide our future guests with easier access to the hotel.

Again, thank you very much for your review, and will be looking forward to welcoming you again on your next visit to Nanaimo.