“A bit over priced”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Campbell River, Canada
“A bit over priced”
Reviewed November 27, 2011

I thought the price should have been more like $99. But we paid $ 149 before taxes (or almost $ 200) We were down the hall from some load party that no one seemed to controll, but the breakfast was a great, older building but well kept. Poor parking but close to every thing down town.

Room Tip: Get a room away from the pop machines and on the third or fourth floor
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
  • Korean first
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed November 7, 2011

After reading previous rewiews decided to book the most expensive room with a harbour view. Arrived at the hotel about 2 PM after an arduous drive, and was told the room was not ready. Had to wait until 4 PM an hour after the hotel check in time for the room which turned out to be on the 1st floor, literally 10 - 15 feet above a very busy road, and the width of a sidewalk away from the traffic. Complained and couldn't believe it when a staff person came to the room and tried to convince us we had a harbour view which was trees across the street, maybe when they loose thier leaves one might see some water. Then we were told we could move to another hotel which had better rooms. We are seniors and by this time it was 5 PM and we did not want to pack up and move, it had been a long day. On the positive side the staff at the hotel and restauant, other than trying to convince us we had what we paid for, were professional and pleasant. They did discount the room by 10%. The restaurant was excellent.
I have photographs of the road, view and traffic, but was unable to submit them with this review.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Bruce B
NanaimoResponse, General Manager at Best Western Dorchester Hotel, responded to this review, November 9, 2011
Hello Bruce, thank you for letting us know about your stay. I have looked into your information and see that you also posted your concerns to guest services at Best Western International. On the date of your stay the hotel was 100% sold out and according to our front desk log book it indicates that your were offered a move to a higher floor (better view) with the same room type, which you declined and therefore a room discount was given. Best Western has closed your file since a move was declined and a discount was given. Thank you for your feedback, we strive to ensure that all of our guests are satisfied with their accommodation.

Travelers are raving about these Nanaimo hotels

Vancouver Island, Canada
Reviewed October 13, 2011

I stayed in this hotel with my 10 year old daughter. We got in at 9pm, and had to leave at 5am. We were in a very tiny room, which was fine because of the very short stay, but I opened the curtains to our view - of the outside wall and the roof below. Then we ended up on the same floor as a group of people who were extremely rowdy, banging on, and slamming doors at midnight. The walls were so thin that we heard every word of their conversations. I even knew which rooms they were all in, as they discussed who had to wake up whom and at what time. Our door was loose (we could see light through the cracks), so every time someone closed their door, ours would rattle in the frame. Needless to say, we got absolutely no sleep. I don't blame the hotel for the loud guests (although I wish they would have come and told them to quieten down when I complained), but the thin walls and loose door made it impossible to sleep.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank Jaydsmom
NanaimoResponse, General Manager at Best Western Dorchester Hotel, responded to this review, October 24, 2011
Thank you for letting me know about your experience at our Hotel. I apologize that noise from other guests around midnight affected the quality of your stay. Our night audit clerk has the responsibility to check on all noise complaints and take the appropriate action to ensure all guests receive a quiet night. The Dorchester Hotel is a historic boutique hotel dating back to 1887 and with that come some of the charms of that era, such as smaller rooms and unique locations in our building and these rooms usually come with discounted rates. We do offer larger suites, many with beautiful harbour views in other wings of the hotel, however these are usually at a higher room rate. Each Best Western Hotel is independently owned and operated and not all are such unique historic properties. I hope that you will continue to use the brand for future stays. Thank you again for writing.
Whitehorse, Canada
Reviewed September 28, 2011

We stayed at the Best Western Dorchester in Nanaimo for one night on Sept 20. We arrived before check-in time, and our room was ready. We paid the extra for the Harbourview room, because we heard the other rooms were ridiculously tiny. It was a nice view, but we were only on the 2nd floor, so a higher floor would have been better. The hotel is nothing fancy and the layout to get to our room was a bit odd. But the room was a decent size and it was clean. The location was great! Literally steps to the harbour. We just walked across the street, went down a few set of stairs and we were on the boardwalk. We took the ferry to the Dinghy Dock Pub, and really enjoyed that. We had planned to rent some kayaks from Alberni Outpost, but they were already closed for the season. We were disappointed, because the water was so calm in Nanaimo Harbour. All in all, the hotel was a great spot to stay for one night. It was walking distance to restaurants and shops. We had no issues at all.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed September 27, 2011

I was in Nanaimo on business and stayed at the Dorchester. Normally, I stay at the Coast, but they were sold out, so my first visit to the Best Western was in order. I arrived quite late and just wanted to hit the hay, I had an early morning. A very chatty front desk person wanted to converse, it took longer than it should have with a prepaid room.

The room itself was dated, but the bed was comfortable. The temperature was controlled with an old window mounted unit, and it kept things cool. The bathroom was the real reveal to the age of the property, the tile faded, the taps creaky (and the water into the tub a very ugly rust tinted color).

Overall, the visit was just fine, but nothing special to make it more than average. The breakfasts were economical but the food bland and uninspired. If I need a place the next time the coast is booked, I would consider staying again.

Room Tip: The elevators are very slow. High rooms pay the price for this.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Steve C
Okanagan Falls, Canada
Reviewed September 19, 2011

A friend booked my hotel room as a birthday surprise to visit a friend in the area.
After arriving and having a room not ready i waited for a while until one was available.
The room was good, no complaints there really. But because the room wasn't ready they ended up giving me the wrong room and i had to move the second day. No apologies for their error.
The staff were rude and almost laughing about the situation. I don't really understand how someone in this industry could be so rude to a customer.
Unfortunately the billing and costa were all over the place. My credit card was charged, my friends card was double charged. Also because it was the weekend, an owner or manager wasn't available to help me. The staff were incredibly unhelpful and not very understanding of the situation. So once i got home my friend and i had to deal with the matter via the telephone.
It was a pretty terrible experience. I would not stay there again, hopefully if you have stayed here you had better luck then i did.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled solo
2 Thank OceanMonkey
NanaimoResponse, General Manager at Best Western Dorchester Hotel, responded to this review, September 22, 2011
Thank you for letting us know about your experience. You indicated that you stayed here 10 months ago in December 2010. Unfortunately without your name and dates of occupancy I am not able to look into this matter at this late date. We normally keep a front desk log book for each day therefore I wish I had known about your experience previously. We strive to ensure that all of our guests have a great experience but it appears that we may not have met your expectations. My apologies at this late date. Hopefully you will use us again so that we can have the opportunity to regain your confidence.
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed September 14, 2011

My husband and I recently spent a pleasant night at the Dorchester while visiting our daughter in Nanaimo. Initially we were given a tiny, but cozy room, with a single queen bed on the first floor. However, after speaking with our daughter, we all decided it might be fun to have her stay with us as well. The front desk staff was extremely friendly and helpful in relocating us to a larger room with 2 queens for a nominal ten dollar fee. The room and beds were extremely comfortable. The hotel itself has some historic charm, and is beautifully located across from the waterfront, on a street with multiple cafes and window shopping. Our daughter is studying in Nanaimo, and I will definitely plan my next trip to include the Dorchester.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank heidi l
NanaimoResponse, General Manager at Best Western Dorchester Hotel, responded to this review, September 15, 2011
Thank you for sharing your experience. It is gratifying to see that our staff takes such good care of our guests. We look forward to your next visit.