“Nothing fancy, but met our needs!”

Best Western Dorchester Hotel
Ranked #6 of 19 Hotels in Nanaimo
GreenLeadersBronze level
Whitehorse, Canada
“Nothing fancy, but met our needs!”
Reviewed September 28, 2011

We stayed at the Best Western Dorchester in Nanaimo for one night on Sept 20. We arrived before check-in time, and our room was ready. We paid the extra for the Harbourview room, because we heard the other rooms were ridiculously tiny. It was a nice view, but we were only on the 2nd floor, so a higher floor would have been better. The hotel is nothing fancy and the layout to get to our room was a bit odd. But the room was a decent size and it was clean. The location was great! Literally steps to the harbour. We just walked across the street, went down a few set of stairs and we were on the boardwalk. We took the ferry to the Dinghy Dock Pub, and really enjoyed that. We had planned to rent some kayaks from Alberni Outpost, but they were already closed for the season. We were disappointed, because the water was so calm in Nanaimo Harbour. All in all, the hotel was a great spot to stay for one night. It was walking distance to restaurants and shops. We had no issues at all.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
  • Korean first
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed September 27, 2011

I was in Nanaimo on business and stayed at the Dorchester. Normally, I stay at the Coast, but they were sold out, so my first visit to the Best Western was in order. I arrived quite late and just wanted to hit the hay, I had an early morning. A very chatty front desk person wanted to converse, it took longer than it should have with a prepaid room.

The room itself was dated, but the bed was comfortable. The temperature was controlled with an old window mounted unit, and it kept things cool. The bathroom was the real reveal to the age of the property, the tile faded, the taps creaky (and the water into the tub a very ugly rust tinted color).

Overall, the visit was just fine, but nothing special to make it more than average. The breakfasts were economical but the food bland and uninspired. If I need a place the next time the coast is booked, I would consider staying again.

Room Tip: The elevators are very slow. High rooms pay the price for this.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Steve C
Okanagan Falls, Canada
Reviewed September 19, 2011

A friend booked my hotel room as a birthday surprise to visit a friend in the area.
After arriving and having a room not ready i waited for a while until one was available.
The room was good, no complaints there really. But because the room wasn't ready they ended up giving me the wrong room and i had to move the second day. No apologies for their error.
The staff were rude and almost laughing about the situation. I don't really understand how someone in this industry could be so rude to a customer.
Unfortunately the billing and costa were all over the place. My credit card was charged, my friends card was double charged. Also because it was the weekend, an owner or manager wasn't available to help me. The staff were incredibly unhelpful and not very understanding of the situation. So once i got home my friend and i had to deal with the matter via the telephone.
It was a pretty terrible experience. I would not stay there again, hopefully if you have stayed here you had better luck then i did.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled solo
2 Thank OceanMonkey
NanaimoResponse, General Manager at Best Western Dorchester Hotel, responded to this review, September 22, 2011
Thank you for letting us know about your experience. You indicated that you stayed here 10 months ago in December 2010. Unfortunately without your name and dates of occupancy I am not able to look into this matter at this late date. We normally keep a front desk log book for each day therefore I wish I had known about your experience previously. We strive to ensure that all of our guests have a great experience but it appears that we may not have met your expectations. My apologies at this late date. Hopefully you will use us again so that we can have the opportunity to regain your confidence.

Travelers are raving about these Nanaimo hotels

Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed September 14, 2011

My husband and I recently spent a pleasant night at the Dorchester while visiting our daughter in Nanaimo. Initially we were given a tiny, but cozy room, with a single queen bed on the first floor. However, after speaking with our daughter, we all decided it might be fun to have her stay with us as well. The front desk staff was extremely friendly and helpful in relocating us to a larger room with 2 queens for a nominal ten dollar fee. The room and beds were extremely comfortable. The hotel itself has some historic charm, and is beautifully located across from the waterfront, on a street with multiple cafes and window shopping. Our daughter is studying in Nanaimo, and I will definitely plan my next trip to include the Dorchester.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank heidi l
NanaimoResponse, General Manager at Best Western Dorchester Hotel, responded to this review, September 15, 2011
Thank you for sharing your experience. It is gratifying to see that our staff takes such good care of our guests. We look forward to your next visit.
Salt Spring Island, Canada
Reviewed September 13, 2011

I've stayed at the Dorchester a lot on business. It's an older hotel but it has lots of character and I like that. The rooms are decorated really nicely and modern, quite small but quite lovely. I always enjoy staying there and would definitely recommend it. It's in the nicest area of Nanaimo as far as shopping in the quaint town (not box stores) and restaurants. There's a restaurant in the hotel but with the Modern Cafe across the street, I'd go there if it's open. If you want to stay downtown, you have two choices. This and the Coast. I prefer the dorchester for the character and the price. For more generic and pricey, go to the coast.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
Thank you for letting us know that your experience at our hotel was and continues to be up to your expectations and satisfaction. My staff look at the Trip Advisor site regularly and we appreciate your feedback and knowing that our "ICARE" program is working.
Vancouver Island, Canada
Reviewed September 6, 2011

We stayed for a night for a quick getaway and really enjoyed the central location in Nanaimo Old Quarter and the quality of the room. Small, yes... but very comfortable (and the beds are not hard at all!). The staff very friendly.. and you can get an inexpensive breakfast in the hotel restaurant in the morning. We totally loved the roof-top deck that is not mentioned in the amenities for the hotel...very nice to sit outside on a warm evening and enjoy the scenery. We feel the earlier negative reviews are totally unwarranted and wanted to say as much. Don't hesitate to book here for your stay in Nanaimo!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
NanaimoResponse, General Manager at Best Western Dorchester Hotel, responded to this review, September 8, 2011
It's wonderful to hear that your experience was comfortable and friendly. Thank you for your comments and sharing your observations with others. It shows that all of our staff have been trained in the Best Western "ICARE" program to ensure that our guests receive a superior experience. We look forward to being of service to you on your next visit. Thank you again.
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed September 3, 2011

This is probably the nicest Best Western I've stayed at. Great location and modern rooms with a historic flare. I stayed in a Harbor view room and it was a great size with beautiful view. Quiet rooms and only a 5 minute walk to the water. Plus right in a cute shopping area with cafe's restaurants and lots to do.

• Stayed September 2011