“Nice stopover for mainlanders”

Best Western Northgate Inn
Ranked #2 of 19 Hotels in Nanaimo
Vancouver
“Nice stopover for mainlanders”
Reviewed September 19, 2010

We recently stayed overnight in this hotel after taking the ferry over to Duke point, before heading in to Ucluelet where we were spending a few days.

This was a good hotel that filled all our needs. We wanted a comfy secure place that was on the end of Nanaimo so we could get a nice early start on our trip the next day. One of our big keys was allowing pets (which they do in their first floor rooms) so our doggy could stay in the hotel.

Check-in was slightly slow but that was more the fault of the customer in front of us who had reserved at The Grand (another hotel entirely) and was very concerned that THIS hotel (not the Grand) was not honouring his reservation. I really don't think I could do a job where I deal with the public.

Beyond that everything went well, there are some places to eat nearby, and we didn't hear any traffic noises from the nearby highway while we slept. Our small dog has asked me to forward a concern on my review for her (there is no "DogAdvisor site where she can post her own)... we had booked a two queen bed room, and due to a mix-up we were given one with only one king bed. This was fine as my wife and I are not adverse to sharing a bed... but our dog loves hotel rooms for the simple reason she can leap obsessively from one bed to the other. She was actually visibly dismayed when we got into the room and she realized that there was only one bed. She was slightly mollified by the fact that there was an enclosed patio area that she could lie outside in without any worry of escape.

They had a continental breakfast included in our price and that was the only downer from the stay as far as I was concerned. They had some pre-fab eggs and sausage discs which could be slid between an english muffin entirely devoid of moisture. The price of the hotel was good, and we only went to the breakfast because it was included... so this was not a deal breaker for us. We went to the nearby Starbucks afterwards for our snooty big-city, low fat turkey bacon, egg-white, gluten free sandwiches.

I do have some mobility challenges so always put a note on my reviews about how places stack up. This place was quite good as you could pull right up to the doors to unload and there were elevators for the higher floors. The only thing of any concern on this front was there appeared to be only one handicapped stall and it was taken (the whole lot was quite full so I could be mistaken about there being more somewhere else or hidden under a car without a noticeable sign). The entire lot was very level and close to the entrance, so not a big issue for me as I am not THAT mobility challenged. They had one of those carts that you could load your bags onto to avoid repeate trips.

The one thing that blew me away was how much nicer Nanaimo is nowadays! I have only driven through for the past 15 years or so and its been a long time since I stopped. We went for a late summer evening stroll down at their waterfront Maffeo Sutton Park. This was a stunning urban community space and I envy us not having anything rivaling it in the lower mainland. Open fields, fishing, boardwalk, artificial tide pools, lagoon, band shell, etc. It appears to be well-used and very family friendly. Kudos to whoever decided to revitalize this area as it all looked brand spanking shiny and new. Truthfully, I have always thought of Nanaimo as just a place you go through filled with strip malls. We have now realized we think we could even live there now.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Provost2

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed March 11, 2010

My fiance and I were travelling Vancouver Island and were looking for a place to rest our heads before heading across the island to Tofino. As we were leaving Nanaimo we seen the Best Western sign and figured it would do for the night. We were very surprised that this place was even here. The rooms were clean and the staff were great. The prices were better then those in the downtown and we were close to the shopping mall. We just wanted to let others know we had a great stay. If we are ever back on Vancouver Island we will definitely stay again!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
Prince George
Reviewed November 22, 2009

Certainly not overpriced but well priced. time and time again I stay here each time i'm in this area. The staff is always with a smile. My room is always perfect. There is plenty of parking. This location is very handy to the highway. Well done again Best Western.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business
Vancouver Island, Canada
Reviewed September 17, 2009

I stayed here two nights midweek during the worst heat wave at the end of July 2009. Temperatures in Nanaimo were up to 38C (100F) and my own apartment was far too hot to be able to sleep in. In order to function at my job, after 2 sleepless nights at home, I booked into this hotel for both the air conditioning and the proximity to work. It was a godsend.

The air conditioning was most welcome, and the hotel in general was quite quiet. Even on the highway side of the hotel, the noise level was very low once I shut the patio door. The microwave and room safe were also nice touches. The wireless high-speed Internet was great.

I tried the pub food both nights, and it was pretty good. Disappointed that there was no early-morning coffeeshop. The room was clean, and the staff were very helpful. I would stay here again.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
british columbia
Reviewed September 3, 2009

I have stayed here many times over the years and have found the prices have climb steeply each time I return.I had asked for and been promised a room on the "quiet side" ,but was given a room very close to the highway . The room was grubby and smelled musty.I objected to the room and was given the one next to it which was still noisy but cleaner.The girl at the desk told me that this was the best room that they could give me because I had booked over the internet.(I hadn't and in fact had prepaid non refundable!)If it wasn't near a mediocre mall , this place would be empty.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank strightshooter
Port Alberni, Bc
Reviewed July 21, 2009

I have stayed many, many nights at the Best Western Northgate Inn and in hindsight, it's given me many amusing stories to share. That's never a good sign.

I was your average mid-week guest at this hotel. Only staying there as it was a convenient location for work. Believe me, if there was another hotel in this price range in this location, I would have stayed there.

This hotel is not typical of other Best Westerns I have stayed at in North America. There is no breakfast buffet available, only a second floor restaurant that I never entered. The Somerset pub is attached to the back of the hotel.

The rack rates and corporate rates for this hotel are very expensive considering what you get. I don't blame the staff. I get the impression that the owners do very nicely from the hotel and don't feel it's necessary to invest in longterm staffing.

However, with some of my experiences there, I would have appreciated more experienced staff. Things that jump to mind are the immigration raid, and the fire alarm that the staff member didn't know how to de-activate. It's all too much at 3am.

So in conclusion, it's clean, usually most things work. Don't expect a hint of luxury. If you've turned up in a company truck, you're in the right place.

• Stayed June 2008, traveled on business
6 Thank RemoteCoast
High Prairie, Canada
Reviewed June 16, 2009

Overall very good. Staff very friendly and entire property very clean, nicely appointed. Very close to large mall and other amenities. No pool, but does have a whirl pool/sauna - treadmill is in same room and should'nt be as very hot and humid! Microwave, fridge and safe in each room.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple